1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Morey on Lin - Quickest First Step Measured

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Feb 5, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/...sian-american-representation-10th-anniversary

He looked “unathletic.” As then-Rockets GM Daryl Morey explained to author Michael Lewis in his book The Undoing Project in 2016, Lin lit up the team’s evaluative model ahead of the 2010 draft, assigning his value at the 15th pick, which would have placed him just outside the lottery. But Morey and Co. weren’t prepared to place blind trust in their model; as an Asian American kid, Lin just didn’t pass the eye test. A year after Houston and every other team let Lin go undrafted, the Rockets began measuring the speed of a player’s first two steps, and Lin had the quickest first step of any player measured. “He’s incredibly athletic,” Morey told Lewis. “But the reality is that every ****ing person, including me, thought he was unathletic. And I can’t think of any reason for it other than he was Asian.”

Yung-T, foh, HorryForThree and 8 others like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@tinman

also deserves to be in the D&D Linsanity 10th Anniversary Appreciation thread

Dacamel likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m siding with the Chinese on this one

Yao > Lin

@rocketsjudoka

Jontro, Roomba and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jalen G-Lin.

apollo33, Jontro, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

The biggest fluke ever

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

About to defend Linsanity.

His career PER, WS, WS/48, TS%, and VORP puts him in the last quarter of the lottery picks for the 2010 class. So, Morey would've made a good bet, while it would've been a great pick for any team the further you went down the draft.

Williamson likes this.
  7. lnchan

Drafting him sure. Not cutting him sure.

Signing him to that contract... not so much.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Full speed lay ups were tough for him.

Roc Paint likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so basically youre saying jalen is the next lin?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The OP is right in a way. Asians are usually perceived to be unathletic.

Lin's problem isn't physical talent. It's mental. The NBA has plenty of physically gifted players who are out of the league because they don't have the mental makeup to be successful there.

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

J-Lin Green?

Nah but for real Green probably has a much brighter future, and Lin didn't do so bad himself for an undrafted player.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Houston and every other team let Lin go undrafted, the Rockets began measuring the speed of a player’s first two steps, and Lin had the quickest first step of any player measured.

I don't doubt Lin was the quickest but weren't the Rockets of that era when Lin was signed slow as ****? Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Scola, Parsons

D-rock likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i bet aaron brooks was quicker, but he's kevin hart short, so 2 steps for him was like half a step in the nba

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do Lin threads have the quickest first post? ;)

burlesk likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how this can even be debated. Lin was overall a mediocre player with a short run at the top but Yao was a phenomena. With his size and his hands there are very few players who started with those physical gifts and then adding his dedication to improving his play.

I can fully accept that Lin got a raw deal. At 6'-4" coming from Palo Alto there wasn't anything to distinguish him immediately. As such why it might not have been straight out racism I see why out of bias many scouts might've dismissed him. That doesn't mean that he didn't deserve to be in the NBA and he certainly showed that he could play at a high level. The problem is that everyone in the NBA starts out as a freak of nature. Lin for most of humanity is freakishly quick. That's not enough to survive over the longterm in the NBA. Eventually injuries, age and the ability for opposing coaches to scheme will take a toll.

The players that can survive and stay at a high level are either lucky that they don't have major injuries or learn to adapt and improve their game like Dream and Jordan did. That Lin wasn't able to continue at Linsanity levels for years and is out of the league isn't that he's a complete failure and a bust but just that it's hard for most people to remain at their peak.

burlesk and Roomba like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Check his bank account, Jeremy Lin flat won $$$ in his NBA career. If he manages his finances, he’ll never work a 9 to 5 again in his life. He was hella successful.

Williamson and Roomba like this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I went to school with some freakishly athletic Asians growing up so I guess I never developed this cognitive bias. Interesting article

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also recorded the quickest turnover in nba playoff history too.

19. lnchan

When was Prigioni? Despite him being old as Mutombo, he had one of the top sprint speeds in the association.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Kind of cringe for a GM to say they thought someone was unathletic because of their race. If you inherently think Asian people might be less athletic, and you see an athletic one, I think you might actually notice how athletic they are even MORE SO.

Players would also notice. You notice who is athletic when you're on the court.