1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer/KOC] The Rockets Don’t Have a Switch to Flip. They’ll Have to Acquire One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 10, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The team has lots of problems. That doesn't mean Harden's complete inability to stay in front of even the most average of NBA players (Wes Matthews types, for example), isn't a big one. Even when we look at things like defensive rebounding, for example. When the other team is constantly forcing switches, rotations, and bigs to try and come over in the paint, its problematic.

Same with turnovers... it's a problem... it's not the #1 problem (which is depth and players around Harden), but it's a problem.

The question of is he just exhausted out there physically or mentally is a valid one... but it's also valid to point out (i) they're all playing out there, and trying hard, running, etc... Harden is definitely not running the most on the team, and this team in particular plays at an incredibly slow pace (ii) this is THEIR system, (iii) some of this isn't complicated stuff. Stay with your man better. We're not talking about making him solve thermodynamics while running a marathon.

More to my specific point, I think this is kind of Harden's DNA as a player... and that's OK. You can mask it FOR SURE. Get a healthy CP3 next to him handling the ball a lot more and a lot more talent on this team, and you can mask it. Just like GSW masks Curry defensively.

And that's absolutely what they should and need to do.

I just don't see why it excuses Harden from playing a little bit of defense, lol.

Little Bit, Falcao and shvedsucks like this.
  2. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Defense too though. Losing Ariza per se wasn't the main issue, but we didn't find a adequate replacement for him. A lot of people point the impressive record without him last year, but Luc was a more than capable backup. Wing depth is the Rockets problem this year. If the Rockets can re acquire Ariza or someone better, that should help with consistency. A backup big would be nice too, but a wing who can shoot and fit into the defensive scheme is an absolute must...

BaselineFade and bulkatron like this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Harden is Harden and having him, along with the rest of the core, playing extra minutes has only resulted in diminishing returns and inconsistency, possibly from having less energy game to game. The elephant in the room is the lack of a versatile wing player with size and length who can knock down the three and guard multiple positions. This would not only address the elephant but sends Ennis to come off the bench which adds value to the second unit. They do this...they will be back in contention...

4. JayZ750

Yeah, I get it. Just what you and @RayRay10 are saying... absolutely.

I guess my point is... in a BEST CASE scenario, maybe James Johnson is walking through the door, or the like. That doesn't fix this team.

And these are ABOSULTELY flaws in Harden's game.

So, given we are where we are, I'm probably more likely to want my $30-$40 million guy to up his game defensively, just a little, than to expect more out of James Ennis or PJ Tucker... or even Eric Gordon, who I know can and should be giving me a lot more, but who I also know there's a reason why he was available to this team, and the price he was, RIGHT IN THE SUMMER OF EXPLODING SALARIES.

----

That said, that's not what this thread or article was really about, so I'm cool getting back to that topic. It's more interesting to consider things like:

* Are there any REAL, available, pieces out there that might help the team, especially ones not overpaid that Tilman can afford?

* Are there fixes to the defense and rebounding without adding pieces?

* Should they consider different defensive schemes depending on opponent.

Etc.

shvedsucks likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden has to be better there. And the proof is his mistakes in the 1st quarter when he should be fresh. So yeah, he has to clean that stuff up. But at the same time, later in the game it is understandable if he is trying to maximize his energy and picks and chooses his spots.

6. JayZ750

Right...

Thinking about the last couple of games, he came out of half time against Utah with multiple turnovers and lackadaisical play. Is that a mental response to MDA saying we need you to "take over"? or a purposefully mental push-back to how crappy the roster is? Or what? Or against the Mavs, 0-4 from three in the final 8 minutes while not being great defensively - but not turnovers!!

Again, probably best to not go over this again in this thread. If he wants to conserve energy in / for the 4th, that's fine. I think I'm just pushing back against what we all see.... why too many jacked up threes (his %s isn't; horrible, but it isn;'t super consistent, and he's shooting 11.2 3PA a game, which is kind of insane), bad defense (back to the blow bys and not finding his man we saw in prior years), and turnovers.

Recognizing that offense isn't generally the problem - though has been very hit or miss - I nonetheless think the net rating would improve if they mixed in an actual "play" or two, occasionally. Stuff like the double post FT line high screen, or the elevator plays we used to see even last year or two years ago.

---

But again, I think this article, RIGHTLY, is more about defense, wings, and rebounding.

raining threes and shvedsucks like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Paul is more problematic in the Post than Harden is. Paul is also shockingly turnover prone this year. Watch those first 4 or 5 possessions to start the Second against the Mavs when Harden was sitting. I mean, that was reaaalllly bad stuff...and stubborn.

Both Paul and Harden need to elevate their game ... and I have more confidence in Harden right now than Paul at doing so.

J Sizzle and BMoney like this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

:confused::(Is there anyone still stashed overseas that we can ship in? Sergio Lull? Marty Leunen? Malik Badiane?

9. JayZ750

It's his worst turnover year of his career thus far, that's for sure. And absolutely, hate CP3 in the post defensive, for obvious reasons, despite the occasional tricky smart bball IQ defensive possession.

I was speaking more to perhaps quantifying things like Harden getting blown by from the perimeter. I mean post defense isn't really the problem, right? To me the problem is clearly penetration (that's what she said!). Guards are getting in the lane at will, from either Capela or Hartenstein being out there on an island way more than previously, or from the guard defenders getting blown by... Harden of course here, but Ennis hasn't been great either. Nor has EG.

In terms of guard/wing defense, I still have some confidence in CP3 at least, and Tucker. Ennis being only like 90% of what Ariza was defensively, be it switching, scram switching, keeping guards out of the pain, whatever, seems to have trickled down extensively to the defensive issues.

10. raining threes

They need to add a SF and a PF for depth purposes.

Carroll is the guy I hope they trade for. Using Gordon is the way I would go. Welcome to New Jersey EG, hope you can have fun.

I dont know what it would take to get a guy like Portis but I would look into seeing what it would take.

They also need to find a backup PG. Hopefully Knight is that guy.

Main thing this team is lacking is rebounding and depth.

lionaire likes this.
  11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I 100% agree with you, Harden is making and is slated to make A LOT.

A crude analysis shows the Rockets score 110 points a game, and Harden averages 30 points and 8 assists. That roughly translates to 45% of the rockets offense. I think that's the crux of the problem. He is almost half of this team's offense. I flip the question back on you, is it fair to ask a guy to be half of the team's offense and solid as a rock on defense? Turnovers come from usage, the same with his lazy passes too.

We both resonate on depth, and others stepping up, and once they do, I completely agree that Harden's excuses should end. Maybe, what could also be said in this is that MDA needs to pull Harden in on this one. He needs to stop letting him be problematic on defense, but then as a concession he needs to reduce Harden's workload on offense too. This will push Harden to be more of a "complete" player, but then again does this completely utilize Harden's strengths? If energy is finite and he has a higher efficiency of creating points with good offense over good defense, aren't we going down a less efficient road by turning him into a complete player? Not rhetorical at all on that one, I really don't know.

All in all, in wins and losses Harden puts up pretty consistent scoring. Look at the last three years, his numbers are almost identical. That floors me.

Also, another interesting musing here for me is, if the Warriors hadn't been afforded that stupid increase in cap, I could have seen them having the same struggles this rocket team had pre-KD.

Deuce likes this.
  12. RyanB

RyanB Member

Excellent read and analysis
    it really shows the anti thesis of switching defense that has been shown clearly this season
    Add to that the suddenly drop in offense and the lack of depth...well you guess the result
    i sincerely don't think that a trade will change anything

and i'm starting to believe more and more that Tilman will fire either Morey or MDA, or even both, and he'll start rebuilding from the 0

13. Garner

Garner Member

Ariza leaving the rockets was a 30 game swing.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Gordon and a 1st for Morris, Satoransky, and Green
    Gordon and a 1st for Holiday, Porter and fillers

Since no one wants to touch Knight's contract, the only viable bait we have is to trade Eric for more depth.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Everybody said this same thing in 2015-2016. They demanded more from Harden, who carries the entire team offensively, instead of demanding more from every other member of the team who is playing well below expectations.

It should come as no surprise that Harden's defense was considered "fine" the last two years, AKA when he received adequate *support* from his *supporting cast*.

BaselineFade, Deuce and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Yao Ming, Kelvin Cato, Bostjan Nachbar, Eddie Griffin, Kenny Thomas, Moochie Norris, Walt Williams, Jason Collier.

I miss this Team, I would rather watch this team, they played hard, always ready to play, Steve Francis always played hard on both ends, Plus his great dunks, Yao developing as a Rookie. If the Rockets had this Team Right Now and Develop them, it would be fun to watch that process.

Rockets need a Youth Movement

17. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Many are still thinking that there is a "Switch" to flip (ie Harden playing more defense, etc). The point here is that there is no switch to flip. As mentioned above, this is Harden's DNA. No one will ask Curry to become a lockdown defender as it is also not in his DNA.

"Acquiring" the switch is is the answer and is not (pardon the pun) Rocket Science. A switch means an instantaneous change from "off" to "on". The switch is Zion.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Carroll is a useful backup forward but he can't be compared to the current struggling Eric Gordon. Carroll is a buyout type.

#58 saleem, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    RocketsMAN! and BaselineFade like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Wizards have Beal. Even if they trade him, EG and a 1st won't get us Morris, Satoransky let only all 3 of them. Gordon for Holiday and Porter might work if the latter remains injured. I don't want that.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It’s all bad lol. I agree defense is also a major problem but it doesn’t explain our 9 point quarters...

slothy420 likes this.