1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Righteous Kill (Movie)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DoitDickau, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

This is the new (on video) DeNiro, Pacino movie. After ~40 years this is the movie these two legends decided to work together on (forgetting "Heat" which they did not act in a scene together).

I haven't watched the movie. Probably won't. By all accounts the movie is horrible. My question is, why didn't these two guys just wait(choose) for a better script? Come'on it's not like they are a desperate Dane Cook. I'm sure there are plenty of A list writers, actors and directors who would have loved to worked with these two. Why did they choose this one? What will it do to their legacy.

I have to imagine some A lister would have done some passionate project specifically for these two guys. That's how big it should have been. How disappointing it turned out.l

#1 DoitDickau, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

except for the scene at the coffee shop.

deniro and pacino have made some pretty terrible choices lately. hide and seek? 88 minutes? gimme a break.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

By no means was it either of their best films but I thought it was alright. Worth the price of admission at least. I'm not too harsh of a critic on movies though...as long as I was into it and I was entertained it's worth the admission for me. I don't go into many movies (regardless of the actors) and expect it to be an all-time great...much less renting a DVD.

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

I'm crossing my fingers for at least one more gangster movie with DeNiro and Pesci, hopefully written, directed, and produced by Scorcese.

5. DoitDickau

maybe I should check it out on video? or should I just watch Heat (for the first time all the way through), or both?

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't forget Godfather 2 where they also weren't in scene together.

I was trying to figure out if this was a straight-to-DVD movie when I saw the commercials for it recently. Doesn't make sense that they would do something so bad together.

7. DoitDickau

I thought the Urban Legend was that they did not film that scene together. because of conflicting schedules deniro filmed his part of the scene alone and pacino did likewise. Then Michael Mann just edited them in together. I need to watch that movie again.

8. DoitDickau

It was in theatres but did not do very well. It confuses me as well. I, maybe naively, would imagine that they would have prime choice over a good script/director/movie.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Scorcese is busy with the new Vincent Chase film, should be good.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

They haven't exactly done much to add to their respective legends this decade. De Niro has done some good stuff recently like the Good Shepherd, but the last good movie Pacino was in was probably Insomnia.

11. DoitDickau

agreed. Especially with pacino, but, at the end of the day, it's two legends. There had to have been some great script and Alist director willing to work with them.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I thought Deniro was good in Stardust, though a bit role, and has been funny in the Fockers movies. Pacino wasn't bad in Ocean's 13, either, which was recent.

But certainly nothing like their earlier careers. Righteous Kill sounds pretty bad...I'll wait until it's on tv.

But I think that's okay. Pacino will turn 69 in April, Deniro 66 in August. They are both super rich. There is no incentive for them to keep churning out good movie after good movie. Really rich people, at that age, tend to take life a little easier as they should.

That's not to say they should put out crap, but if they are better in fluff roles and don't put the energy into seriously getting into a character (which seems to be required of all A-list actors), I can't fault them.