1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Right Wingers are now rooting against America!!???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

say what??? lee atwater and karl rove are rolling over in their graves.

and i was asking specifically for prominent liberals hoping for 'bush to fail'. not an opinion poll, and especially not a fox news opinion poll - they are proven liars. but either way, for the record i do not condone anyone straight up saying 'i want the president to fail'. to call him a failure (or even a criminal) is fair though - i guess at that point some might say im parsing words.

we would probably agree that too many people treat politics as a team sport - you can find people on both sides who want the 'other guy' to fail, but what is more difficult is finding prominent democrats or liberal commentators straight up saying 'i hope bush fails'. there is no parallel to a limbaugh and his comments (or teabaggers high-fiving each other when we dont get the olympics). especially considering that he is the most prominent and popular conservative out there. not only do other conservatives disavow these comments, but elected republicans routinely have to go on his show and kiss his ass after they dare say something unflattering about him. and how about the fact that someone like glenn beck can so quickly rise to prominence in the conservative movement?

and the fact that he said it when obama had only been in office for a month compared to this poll being done in 2006, after bush had already trashed us.

and the overall tone against obama has gone far beyond what we saw against bush - i still cant believe that people were bringing guns to rallies and obama speeches. contrast that with the couple who wore anti-bush t-shirts to a rally at a public park and got arrested. people holding up signs saying 'we came unarmed...this time'. the amount of death threats that obama gets vs. bush - didnt the secret service say it has gone up like 400%? the vitriol and physical threats against obama go far and beyond what we saw against bush.

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Not that I am promoting this from either side but it seems a little hypocritial to me. So what exactly would you call the negative rants and gloom and doom prophets that were rampant when GWBush was president?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who said they hoped we failed in Afghanistan or Iraq - and I heard a few, were just as despicable in my book and I did call them out.

So I don't see how it's hypocritical of me at all. You can look back at the posts I made about the Iraq war - I said then and I say now, it was a terrible mistake to go in, but now that we are in, we need a strategy to win, not lose.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

right

5. mc mark

please point out anyone on this board who did this

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

except thats not why they're cheering. if they cheered for that reason then it would be okay in my book

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

link?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

life goes beyond this board.

9. mc mark

okay

Please post a link to a quote by anyone that said I hope we fail in Afghanistan or Iraq.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

negative rants<>cheering/celebrating US defeat

btw, links to alleged negative ranks pls. tia

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Good luck. I have seen this conversation dozens of times online already and the ones claiming GWB provoked these types of comments never back up their claims.

You're supposed to just believe them and say "point taken" or something like that.

12. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Umm these are people who think that health insurance is just like being a Nazi. Who think propping up Alan Keyes and Michael Steele will negate the Dem advantage wrt the black vote, and Palin will win over HRC voters. Of course they think pointing out an underfunded second front was is a bad idea is just like giggling like a fourth grader when the US loses an Olympic bid.

13. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Fixed.

OT: Is there really no edit function?

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yes for contributing members

15. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

I did contribute. Is there a minimum amount required?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again, life exists beyond the internet. I live in NYC and I heard many people laugh and get excited when the war in Iraq did not go well. That's rooting for America's failure and putting politics ahead of country.

Where did I hear it? Amongst people I know, in bars, on the street, in discussions. It happened.

17. mc mark

Funny, I live in NYC too; Sunnyside Queens, (the most diversified borough in the city) and I never heard one person or conversation about someone hoping America would fail in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Go figure.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

indian?

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Are you saying that nobody thought that way? Out of 270,000,000 people you don't think anybody thought that way?

I know that I heard people (just a few...not widespread) talk about how they could not wait until everybody would know that Bush was wrong when this did not go smoothly.

You ask for links. Fortunately, most people are not stupid enough to memorialize such things in writing.

This guy has...

http://open.salon.com/blog/rogerf1953/2009/10/02/confessions_of_a_hypocrite_i_wanted_bush_to_fail

I am sure there are others. This guy just has the balls to admit it.

Oh...that being said...it is despicable.

Americans should NEVER want to see their nation fail for political gain.

Rome is burning. Nobody is calling IX-I-I though.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right. I remember others saying that they wanted a temporary failure of Bush for the larger good. That was there rationale.

But there is a difference between a few random crackpots saying that and national voice that couldn't be criticized by the Democratic party lest they trip over themselves to apologize to that person the next day, saying it.