1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Right time to refinance home mortgage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Mortgage rates fall to 37-year low
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/18/real_estate/Mortgage_rates/index.htm

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those who haven't considered it. My brother-in-law is a mortgage broker with a big bank and he told me on a usual day they have to ignore about 3% of their incoming calls. Yesterday they had to ignore 60%. There are just so many calls right now from great credit, good positioned people looking to refinance.

He said 4.75% on a 30-year is doable. I haven't started shopping yet.

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Now I'm regretting that we refinanced about 7 months ago. Definitely didn't see sub 5% coming.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

If you do refi, please use Stewart Title. We need your business. :)

4. IVFL

IVFL Member

Oddly enough at my credit union I had people on the fence about the 4.625 rate on the 30 that we were offering, they wanted to wait and see if it would drop any more. I took so many mortgage aps the last two days that I didn't even care. I did tell them that this is a record low and to not jump on it would be a mistake. They didn't and now the rate is up to 5.85 for us, and we are the lowest in the area. My advice is if your interest rate is near 6 percent or higher, and you have not recently refinanced, don't think get any rate you can thats below 5% just make sure you go over the good faith estimate to make sure they are not including points or jacking up your closing costs.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've had 5.15% on a 15 for a few years now, but if we didn't have such a great deal, I'd be thinking about a refinance. In my opinion, however, it'll drop some more. The Fed essentially dropped it's rate to zero and I think sub-5% is a real possibility for those with great credit. Those people who turned their noses up at IVFL's 4.625% were nuts, as that is close to as low as I think it'll go (might go lower, but a bird in hand, man!), although at those rates, anyone who doesn't go with a 15 year note is also crazy.

6. JeeberD

JeeberD Member

How long do you have to wait before you can refinance? We bought our house in May with a 6.375% loan and I would love to knock that down a bit if possible...

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

Same here...we bought the house in July with that interest rate, i think but it's defintely 6. something...

8. Rockets Red Glare

You can do it at anytime...typically if it drops more thn 1% it is worth looking into.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

anybody offering no or low closing cost re-financings at those rates?

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

In 2004, I refinanced to a 15 year loan at 4.5%.

I doubt I can ever do better than that, but if by some miracle I found a place that would give me a 15 year loan at 3.5%, I would do it in a New York heartbeat.

11. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I have the same rate when I bought a house last June. My mortgage broker has me on the rate watch list right now. He is expecting rates to fall below 5 then it might make sense to refinance.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I got 4 7/8ths fixed about 5 years ago.....but will refi if it goes any lower.

DD

13. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Member

As the housing deflationary spiral will continue, I will be renting for the next few years. I think housing is just overpriced still nationally ( though not as much in Houston) and I build a few townhomes and sold them back in 2005.

I'll be renting for the next year at least until prices really fall as with deflation in the midst, interest rates esp for good credit borrowers will stay low for a while.

My concern is the walk-away effect as even prime borrowers who put 20% down in many regions are 30-50% underwater. It could snowball.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

That would be game over, wouldn't it?

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Where are you guys finding sub 5%? I haven't gone in to get real numbers specific to me and my credit, but most of what I see is still just above 5?

We talking buying points to get it lower or what?

(Yes, I've been considering my second refi for a while now)

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

ah, maybe you're all talking 30 yr? I'm well into the last refi which went to 15 yr, and wouldn't do more than 10 if I did it again. They don't get too excited about those.

17. firecat

firecat Member

To refinance, do you have to do a full application just like the initial mortgage?

We kind of took advantage of the shady practices that got the country in trouble in the first place by getting our mortgage based on a "declaration" of my income. Since I get a big part of my pay in cash, I didn't have solid proof of my income.

Of course, unlike many people we can comfortably pay our mortgage, so I'm hoping that our payment history might help if we refinance.

18. droxford

droxford Member

I second this post. I'm seeing rates just above 5.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Member

If it get below 4.75 I am definately doing it.

20. codell

codell Member

I actually made a call to day and am hoping to lock in @ 4.75 by Monday.

Keep your fingers crossed. Will save me $300/mo. :)