1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Right now, I would rather have Dickerson back !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2000.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

There are two PG's in the league I take over Francis right now...

Kidd and Payton.

Not a good PG??? This must be the alcohol talking.

Francis, a one year high school player, one year division one player, and one year NBA player, with the weight of the entire team on his back.....with phenomenal talent, and the brightest future, arguably, of any other young guard in the league, and you want Dickerson back? Cuttino running the point?

Man, the frustration has set in ALREADY around here. Hell, let's just scrap the season after 4 games. [​IMG]

Are there any fans in here that want to talk positively about anything, besides heypartner?

Please pass the Prozac, it is getting depressing around here.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited November 06, 2000).]

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Steve will be ok. Defenses are giving him different looks and Rudy is just slow to make adjustments. But I agree Steve needs to keep the defense on its heels, namely by attacking a getting to the middle to create options. He also needs to stop dribbling and just play ball. It seems he's thinking too much out there and it's stalling his game.

------------------

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Francis is an average basketball player??????
    DaDakota you have to realize that all the scoring and pressure is put on Francis thats why he is getting to a slow start but he still had 25pts and 6boards. What more do you want?

4. Odiggidy

Odiggidy Member

Jeff,
    Excellent point. I still remember the days of the hot headed and somewhat tempermental "Akeem" Olajuwon. And though it wasn't fun when we were losing I would not trade seeing him develop into the player that led us to two championships.

DaDakota,
    Be patient. I think that the reason some people (such as yourself)are sometimes so hard on Steve is because they see so much potential in him. At least I hope that this is the reason DaDa' and not some silly nonsense like the type of player Stevie is... you know the type that has flare and that at times is actually exciting to watch. I notice that you tend to gravitate towards players with less flash and not necessarily more substance, like Dickerson and Andre Miller. Remember Pro-ball is entertainment. The ultimate goal is to win and be fun to watch. Francis has the ability to bring both wins and entertainment value.

P.S.
    Da' I'm really attempting to look at your posts fairly and with the thought that you're not attempting to inflame, but you can see where that would be hard to believe with you making comments like 'you would rather have Andre Miller' or that 'Francis is not a good point gaurd'.

[This message has been edited by Odiggidy (edited November 06, 2000).]

5. Odiggidy

Odiggidy Member

DADAKOTA,
    Through four games Francis is averaging
    18pts/g
    6.5asst/g
    5.5reb/g
    3.25turnovers/g

Andre Miller (through three games)
    13.3pts/g
    7.0asst/g
    3.0reb/g
    5.7turnovers/g

Michael Dickerson (through three games)
    16.7pts/g
    4.3asst/g
    2.0reb/g
    3.0turnovers/g

Francis is scoring more than Dickerson who is a "shooting gaurd" and has significantly less turnovers per game than Andre Miller, the "point gaurd" of your choosing. Not to mention that he out rebounds both of these guys. Now being objective, can you still actually say that you would rather have either of these two guys over Francis?

------------------

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Great post. Also have to take into account that Francis handles the ball alot more than Michael, so you can see why he has more TO's.
    There are a handful of players I would trade Francis for, but Miller and Dickerson aren't on that list.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Another great post.

DaDakota, you are a really bright guy. But how many "average" basketball players can average 18 pts. 5 boards and 6 assists a game. I think Steve just played Kidd to a draw, so he can't be that bad.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

John Lucas

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Some of you get it, some don't. I am not doubting his ability, I am doubting his "smarts." I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is only a 2nd year player.

What you guys are missing is that some have him as a superstar already, you have got to be kidding me, he is FAR from a superstar...FAR from it.

He will probably get there someday, but right now he is not even an all star, so before you go annoint him the next GREAT player, take a REAL hard look.

Francis may very well be incredible, but right now he is an awesome athlete and an "above" average basketball player.

Would I take Dickerson back, perhaps, but that is moot, my ONLY point in all this is to quit calling him Great, he isn't !! Yet !

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

you want dickerson back? so he can take more time away from shandon and cuttino. hmmm? I thought that this kind of premature blame would only be put on Collier but its extended to walt, then cato, then cuttino, and now it has reached the best player on our team the guy that some people called "the savior" stevie FRANCHISE. wait a little while to judge players, staff, and teams. there are already like 4 threads about our being a lottery team. I would shoot myself before taking miller over steve. GO STEVE.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Look,

I would not REALLY take Miller over Steve, I just would rather have a pure PG. If Steve can get there, great, but I have my doubts.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I cant beliebe this post, saying francis has been a disapointment is ridiculous. He had no turnovers against the clippers and 3 against the suns which is way down from last year, and he is noticeably dishing the ball more often this season. Most of the time he goes one on one only if the designed play breaks down so stop getting on his case. Whoever said he is buying into his own hype better rethink his opinion. I see a more mature francis who doesnt run his mouth as much this season and just lets the game come to him.I only see positives in his game. Let's remember also that steve francis isn't your old time point guard like mike bibby and andre miller. Steve Francis is ASKED to score and NEEDS to score for this team to go anywhere. 24 points on 50 percent shooting 7 assists and 6 boards, what am i missing? I will take those numbers any day of the week. Quit trying to find excuses for the rockets losses especially in the way of francis.

------------------
    www.truebballfansite.homestead.com

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

on another good rocket point guard. what about c-murph?

I would take steve over kidd. steve is 23 kidd is somewhere 26-28. im not exactly sure. payton is somewhere in the top 5 of point guards all time so i wont say steve over payton just yet.

14. Miggidy Markell

I just wanted to ask ya'll some questions! We are 1-3 with ONLY 78 games to go. Does this make us a lottery team? Does Mo not boxing out in a couple of games make us a lottery team? Does Walt having an off night make us a lottery team? Does Cat taking the game winning shots make us a lottery team?
    If anyone here is thinking with their head not their ass they would say NO.
    Now, does Stevie making a few bad decisions make us a lottery team??????

Steve has to learn like every other Star in the league had to. You can never learn anything over night. It takes practice, time and help in some cases but you'll NEVER learn over night.

So the answer is......NO!

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We all understand that Francis just finished the 4th game of his second year. No team plays really well the first few games of the season, same goes for players, with a few exceptions.

I'm personally excited about this team. They could easily be 4-0 if they'd make some extra free throws and layups. Sure, I wish Francis was playing better, but I'm extremely confident that he will improve.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Last time I checked, Hakeem had problems knowing how to win for quite some time. Many accused him of never being able to win the big one because of his failures in college. Drexler? Same thing.

Very often, we watch games and examine things with a rather narrow vision of what we assume is supposed to be good or bad. What part about 18 pts, 6 rebs and 5 assists is a problem? Turnovers are a problem. So are decisions. But, that comes with the territory. Now, if he is still doing that in 3 years, fine, but this is the beginning of his second season.

Da: I understand your frustration but are you honestly willing to give up on a guy 4 games into his second season? Teams would kill for a guy that can score, rebound and pass as well as Steve in his second season.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

17. treeman

treeman Member

DaDa:

All other bullsh*t aside...

Mobley is learning as a 2-guard. He's learned a new shot (that shot-pump), and aside from that he really hasn't learned anything new. I'll say it again: Cat IS NOT A PG!

He does not know how to distribute the ball, he does not know how to initiate a passing set, he is not a good guard... He is not a "Floor General". He does not know how to control the flow of movement, and he is clearly not in the know when and where the ball is (and therefore cannot expect where to be - prescience).

That said, neither does Steve. He is only slightly better than Cat at that. But he IS trying to learn that skill (and I DO think it can be learned - it's not all instinct). I think Steve is at this point trying to equalize his TO-assist ratio. In that sense he's still a rookie; he needs to get that he sometimes needs to be a scoring machine.

He needs to relax a bit. I dunno, I never could shoot when I was tense. He's trying too hard to compensate, 'cause everyone thinks all he can do is score - he wants assists and no TOs, but by trying to do that he's lowering his assists....

Ya know what I'm trying to say? He's trying too hard to help the team, when what he needs to do is just relax and play... It's admirable, but it ain't gonna get a W.

I can't wait to see a relaxed Francis passing an alley-oop to a relaxed Mobley... Over and over and over.... Again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by treeman (edited November 07, 2000).]

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

treeman,
    Cuttino and Francis, learning? NO, this is not allowed in the NBA, where the players are expected to turn the franchise into a winner after ONE or TWO years of NBA ball.

DaDakota....I understand your frustration, but you have made some truly ridiculous statements here. Now you are going back and saying, ok, I was kidding, I would not REALLY take Miller over Francis.

We all understand that Francis is not this superstar perfect player. But we also understand he has a great shot at becoming just that. If you expect it after one year, you are fooling yourself. Why complain? Look at what he CAN do after one year as opposed to what he CAN'T. He has no major flaws in his game. The mistakes he makes now are easily correctable with experience.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hoop T,

What I mean to say, is that I PREFER a PG who distributes the ball FIRST, and scores 2nd.

Those type of players generally get to WINNING games faster.

I realize that Francis has TONS of potential, but I grow weary of people saying he is great....HE IS NOT !!!!!!!

In fact, in my opinion (which is the one that really counts [​IMG] ) he is only an above average player...not even an All star yet.

Can he become those things...Yes, perhaps, but he needs to learn to trust his teamates more, and start letting them HELP him and not trying to do it all himself. As long as he plays that way, the Rockets will indeed make the lottery.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

20. treeman

treeman Member

One or two years, huh? Cat's already pushin that one... He's practically a VETERAN on this team, LOL...

Sorry, not really laughing. More a depressed sobbing that just sounds like laughing. Mobley is one of our "vets" now...

If I'd ever taken the time to learn how to make a sad-face figure then I'd do it here. Unfortunately all I know is a smiley-face.

[​IMG]

Always look on the bright side...

------------------