1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Ride or Die. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Nov 29, 2013.

?

What is your preference?

1. Stand Pat

81 vote(s)
    72.3%
  2. Sacrifice chemistry by trading for more talent

31 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I think we're good.

Why trade a significant part of the core of a strong and still developing team? Our bench players are outplaying most of the league and our stars are developing chemistry. With Asik, we go into the playoffs with 2 moderately rested centers that have skill sets that will pose the half court problems that these series dictate. Remember, Asik was beast in the playoffs and we thrived with that presence in the middle. Now add Howard.

As we know T. Jones is emerging as a really solid player with range and decent defensive skills. He's only going to get better. Once he starts drawing fouls with that pump 3 he's going to present more problems. Who better to learn that from than #13.

Garcia is a better role player than was DelFino and every time he and Casspi play together they bring the type of energy and passion that is going to keep our starters on their toes.

IMO, I don't know if adding more talent is as important as building chemistry within what we already have. Is this a championship team? Who knows, but I would rather ride with these guys than mortgage our future on another big contract.

1 person likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. Talent > Team Chemistry, unless Team Chemistry causes locker room issues.
    2. If Asik beasts, sure! If he goes back to his pouting ways, we don't have much choice now do we?
    3. T Jones has not proven anything and if trading anyone not Howard or Harden nets us a all-star caliber PF, you do it... no questions asked.

2 people like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have great team chemistry. It's still developing. Sure everyone likes one another - but on the court chemistry is a bit a work in progress. Better to make moves now than later if there is a good move to be made

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I don't think trading Asik will hurt our chemistry. If anything it might help.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm curious to see what Morey does with Asik. Even though everyone said he MUST trade Asik, I dont think Morey was ever going to trade Asik (this year). Morey was fine with Asik being the most valuable 2nd string center in the league. Before Asik Broke Sad, I think Morey was done upgrading the team; at least for nothing less than another star player.

I'm with you AB, I think we have a solid extremly deep (D-MO and Greg not even playing) team that doesn't need any more up grades.

All these great feelings will go out the window the minute Rockets lose again

6. conquistador#11

he speaks truth.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xxF-IwVpQ5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know Asik and Lin's contracts evolve next year but I think they'll both still be enticing, expirings always hold value. No wait to rush into anything now. Unless a normally unobtainable player shakes loose, like Howard in Orlando, I'm fine standing pat and seeing what cards we're dealt next year. I don't think extending Asik after this contract will make sense, I'm not sure he'll want to stay here - I can see him taking less to start. There is no long-term future with Asik and the Rockets, but there's no reason he cant contribute all of this year.

1 person likes this.
  8. justinh

justinh Member

Asik is 100% gone by next years deadline. at the latest. why not trade him this season? i believe he will be moved before the deadline this year.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends on what is available. I mean, nobody is turning down Lebron for Lin+Asik+Jones, right?

The better this team plays, though, the higher the incentive has to be for Morey to make a significant move.

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

the honest truth is, we are not going to win a championship with our current roster. I think we can go pretty far, such as the conference finals, we just don't have the experience and overall talent right now to get there. big reasoning is Dwight needs to get back to playing how he used to before we can even consider a championship. The way he's been playing and getting handled by weaker Centers was pathetic.

But its still early in the season, we have much more time to grow and get more chemistry, so things can change, just right now with the way we play and our roster, there's now way we're going to be able to beat San antionio or maimi in a best of 7.

11. hamsession

hamsession Member

My gawd. We haven't even play Miami, OKC, or San Antonio and you're already making this claim?

12. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

Im all for keeping it together, but I wouldnt mind trading Asik.
    Not for a great pf, but for a solid backup center and an amazing 6th man (someone like J.R. Smith who can come off the bench and drop 15 easy)

1 person likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I favor building chemistry all year (for once) and no trades. Reevaluate in the summer.

I like this team, but, yeah, we need superstar play from Harden and Howard, plus continued awesome improvement by Lin and Parsons to contend without another move. I'd like to wait. Hopefully, Asik won't whine his way to forcing our hand more than he already has

Honestly, this makes no sense. We can say the same thing in reverse.

"The less this team wins, the higher the incentive has to be for Morey to make a significant move."

There's no reason to say performance with make Morey do something more than he already does. But, yeah, the better our performance the more offers Morey will get.

But, let's remember one thing: Playoff performance is the best way to get another GM to overpay for a player. That's another benefit of keeping TJones and Asik into the playoffs, what better way to build their value?

14. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

For Rockets players, the team has been a revolving door the past few seasons. They must be dizzy.

We're pretty much set. Make one or two moves if needed (the most crucial), and then give our young guys time to gel.

Chemistry is the most crucial thing for us to really contend for a championship.

15. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Nah, I still want to see one or two more moves. I love this team, but we're not winning with this group. If a better player becomes available, flip and trade up!

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Where's the "stay at home scared like a b***h" option??:confused:

17. TeamBall

TeamBall Member

Why keep on trading?

Defense defines the Playoffs, we don't need more offense with a stretch "4".
    Seriously, the team is good enough to contend this and next year, keep Asik for 48 minutes of "DEFENSE"!

18. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I think at most one more major trade and then let chemistry take care of the rest. Otherwise I am happy to ride with the current team.

Win-Win situation really.

19. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Isn't that just human nature? We all keep wanting the best and it becomes an eyesore until we get perfection. I want a good looking wife too. With big boobs, tall and leggy and rich! Then I wake up from my wife snoring next to me...

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Reality is harsh. :p I wonder if she feels the same way about you? :grin: