1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Williams to Miami?????

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

Just heard the rumor that the Saints and Dolphins are talking right now about the possibility of moving Ricky Williams to Miami. I don't know the specifics. What do you guys think of this move? I can't believe the Saints are that impressed with McCallister that they're willing to cash out on Ricky. Then again, if Duece really performs up to expectations and the Saints get something of particular value from the Dolphins, then it could be a real coup.

Can you say Hershall Walker? :eek:

2. haven

haven Member

Isn't Williams fairly unhappy with New Orleans? I know I've heard rumors that he and Haslett dislike each other.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what's funny is that new orleans basically gave up an entire year's draft for ricky. no way they'll get comparable value for that. at least i don't think they will.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rumors that both Ricky Williams and Edgerin James (?) were headed to Miami were around even as the playoffs were starting.

5. Gascon

Gascon Member

I'm just confused as to what the Saints might be interested in acquiring in return for Williams. :confused:

What are they going to do, try and improve their defense? :rolleyes: They don't need much help there, and I don't think the Dolphins can help them much with their passing game.

Makes me wonder.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thanks for the link, DOD.

I think Williams would do very well in Miami. I'm kind of hoping it happens now. :)

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well, I don't think their passing game needs much help, with Brooks throwing to Horn and Willie Jackson. Their defense, on the other hand...

How do you explain giving up 41 points to an offensively inept team such as the Bucs? Even I can't figure that one out.

Miami could help them there, to a degree. Would probably take a cover corner or d-lineman plus Miami's 1st (and perhaps 2nd or 3rd) round picks this year. If Jacksonville really is looking to trade Fred Taylor for a 3rd rounder, though, it'd make more sense for any team (even with his history of injuries) to be searching the bargain bin.

9. Gascon

Gascon Member

Good point about the Bucs game. I'm not sure that wasn't more the fault of the coaching staff, but who knows? It seems to me that they've got pretty solid personel there. I honestly expected them to represent themselves much better than they did this season. :confused:

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

The Johnsons, Mike Alstott, Warrick Dunn. The Bucs can put points on the board when they block well and decide to get more aggressive with their play calling. Also, I can't remember that particular game, but the defense has been known to put a few points on the board.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

As a Ricky fan and long time Saints fan to a degree (after Cowboys, Raiders) I have to say I hope Ricky goes. I am sick of the Saints and screw Haslett. The Saints totally underachieve, they are toally undisciplined, and they totally don't play like a team. It took the team a friggen year before they would even start blocking for Ricky. They are the opposite of the current 49ers and Mariucci--which is very hard to swallow because, well, I obviously despise the wine sipping 40 Whiners.

Get Ricky on grass, get him on a team that plays like a team. Miami seems like a great fit. I hope it gets done but it is doubtfull if guys like Taylor can be had for the 3rd rounder, unless NO really just wants to cut their losses (say a #1 and couple of future 2nds or later for him).

12. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Williams wants to play in Miami because he misses all his friends and family (Awww oh nice) but i think thats just him being a baby. he is unhappy cuz the stupid contract he signed so now if he goes to Miami thy will pay him

Edge also wants in Miami

13. PhiSlammaJamma

He would look real good in a Texans uniform.

14. Major

Major Member

<B>Williams wants to play in Miami because he misses all his friends and family (Awww oh nice) but i think thats just him being a baby. </B>

Ricky's from California and then Austin for 4 years. Where did he get all these Miami friends? I really think Ricky doesn't know what he wants. Now he says its a great situation because he loves New Orleans and would love Miami. If he loves New Orleans, why did he request a trade?

15. Desert Scar

NO as a team, coach and franchise just suck suck suck. I don't want Ricky waisting his career away there as Archie Manning did. Until that front office is overhauled, I don't blame Ricky for wanting out.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ricky is really overrated.

He's a decent RB, but not a franchise player.

Deuce is a much better all around player.

17. Desert Scar

There is even less reason to think Deuce is a franchise player than Ricky is. Deuce only has had to play in speciality situations for the most part (not carry the ball when you know they will run). Ricky may not be a franchise RB, but then right now only Marshall Faulk or maybe a healthy James or Curtis Martin is a better overall RB. I would take Ricky over anyone else, including Tomlison, Stephen Davis (doesn't block or catch as well), Hearst (please), Dillon, Taylor (brittle), Alexander, Holmes, etc. That puts Picky (this was a typo but thought I would keep it for laughs) in select company.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Maybe he's trying to have a positive attitude since he got ripped for being weird and anti-social when he first got to NO. And did he REQUEST a trade? But if he did I'd say its justified: he only got the ball around 15 times a game down the stretch, even as NO continued to lose; NO drafted a back to replace him making clear Haslett's opinion of a back he didn't draft; NO is a great place to visit, but would you want to live there?