1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ricky williams retiring from football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by red, Jul 25, 2004.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Told Ya na na na na na na !

2. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Can't blame him for lovin' the WEED ....

its O'Dweeds man.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They reworked the contract a couple of years ago, but before that, he was making close to minimum each year.

He had $8.8 million in original signing bonus, apparently. Of which, Miami wants to recoup $3.3 million. They want to try and recoup another $5.3 million in incentives they've paid him, though the union says that's not an enforceable part of the contract (and that since the Saints paid the signing bonus, the Dolphins shouldn't be able to recoup it, according to the union).

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mrpaige.. thanks for the info.. he's obviously rich, but doesnt' seem to have made 50 or 60 mil or something from his nfl contract like some players.. although he has endorsements.. etc...

he is only 27.. and appears to have a drug habit etc.. I wonder how long his money will last..

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a story like this casts doubt, for me anyway, on some of the claims that pot is really no big deal...or that it's not addictive.

this guy gave up his career for it, it seems. a promising career. i have a hard time finding a lot of respect for that. he has a right to do it, sure. it's his life, right? but what a waste.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think it's fair to blame it on mar1juana, especially when Ricky's had a history of some mental problems.

I haven't mentioned this, nor have I read the whole thread to see if anyone agreed with me, but outside of Ricky quitting on his teammates, I don't have a problem with this because no one would bat an eye if the team had waived the guy right before training camp.

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The two may be related. ;)

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

10. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

lmfao

kickass cartoon :D

11. MadMax

i hear ya. i'm speaking out of my butt, because i don't know much about mar1juana. having said that, my gut level reaction when i hear this is the one i posted.

before his announcement that he'd rather do pot than play football, i would have agreed. again...legally he has a right to leave. i have no problem with him exercising that right. though, i'm with you..the timing leaves something to be desired.

12. junglerules

junglerules Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/michael_silver/08/04/silver.openmike/index.html

Wow....quite an interesting development already. It sounds like he loves Cali enough to contemplate playing again the season after next, if possible. Obviously, it seems like he wasn't very happy in Miami at all, from O-line issues to everything else.

Fantasy football fans, prepare for the SCREW job as you have to give up Ricky for one year, only to see a fellow league owner draft him next year and whip your team's butt with him! :)

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One person giving up their career to smoke pot is not enough to make that claim. Especially considering that person has other mental health issues.

14. MadMax

i didn't say that. i said it casted doubt for me about the claims that it's no big deal...that it's not addictive..etc.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And I'm responding to your point about addiction. One person in the history of sports giving up their career isn't enough to support that point.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ricky Williams behind the Raiders Line would be incredibly dominant. The article sounds very false though, judging by the comments he supposedly made. I would be very suprised to see this come to fruition. Barry Sanders made a similar comment upon retiring with the Lions, and I remember Gruden saying he didn't think that would ever happen.

17. MadMax

why are you arguing with me over this? i said i casts doubts in my mind. it's evidence the other way...even if it's not the entire picture. i have some personal experience with it with friends from college, as well. that's it.

is it important to you that i think highly of pot?

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is your problem. You made a statement, I disagreed with it. This is the BBS that you have over 14,000 posts on. Remember?

19. MadMax

i wasn't making a point other than saying it affected my own perception...i said it casted doubt IN MY MIND. i particularly said, "a story like this casts doubt, for me anyway...."

that's all i was saying. while this isn't conclusive evidence one way or the other...it certainly doesn't move you further down the line to the idea that pot is great...that everyone can handle it without cost. he's not exactly exhibit A for an andymoon post!

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well keep it IN YOUR MIND if you don't want people to disagree. jeez