1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ricky williams retiring from football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by red, Jul 25, 2004.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Here is my question: If Tracy McGrady quit on the Rockets or David Carr quit on the Texans, would any of us be patting him on the shoulder and saying 'good for him'? I wouldn't be.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It really does seem like he lost a lot of his drive after he went pro.

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

maybe he was getting paid more at UT? :p

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the timing is screwed up, other than that if he doesn't attempt to come back, no one has a right to say anything else about it. As far as the signing a long-term deal, the Dolphins aren't on the hook if the guy retires so that point is moot.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

missed the point, you guys know TJ doesnt like UT.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Wow, one good year out of a short 5 year relatively healthy career. Color me impressed.

:rolleyes:

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No, he just thinks people owe their souls to their employers.

What good would Ricky be doing the Dolphins if he really doesn't want to play anymore? Then he would be really screwing them over by not playing hard and collecting that fat contract.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

smith never saw football as his ultimate professional goal.. football was never the main priority in his life.. he always had other interests... he was never the soley devoted to football type that was just a opportunity... it was always going to be a short term thing for him, it was never the be all and end all of things... he was always going to go back to being a scientist

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah his last three seasons he gained, 1200, 1800, and 1300 yards. That's so mediocre. In his second season he gained 1000 yards in only 10 games. His only mediocre season was his first when he gained only 800 yards in 12 games.

10. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I understand that, but 15 years is a lot of time. I find it strange that after putting so much blood, sweat, effort, and time into football, Robert Smith then turns around and starts ridiculing the sport, finding studying and practicing the game to be like learning "remedial math". I realize that he has other goals in life, and that's totally fine, but why spend that many years doing something you dislike? Same thing with Ricky Williams, saying that he's finally "free". Why put all that effort and time into something if you hate it?

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

surely football is not toughest thing in the world intellectually, for someone of his intelligence.... it probably was like remedial math

12. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

First, in response to a couple of posts, I am a Texans fan and a proud season ticket holder. The only Texans home game I have ever missed was last year's Jets game, ironically enough. Whoever it was who claimed to be a great Dolphins fan, well, bully for you, but my experience at last year's opening Sunday (remember that game, or shall I remind you?) was unequivocal. An unsettling percentage of Dolphins fans are idiotic jackasses, and quite vocal about it, too.

Second, TJ's outrage is predictable, and predictably off base. Williams will likely be forced to forfeit a considerable amount of his signing bonus for not fulfilling his contract.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I don't hate UT. I don't like their baseball program, and regularly exchange in smack talking regarding sports, but it's ridiculous to say that I hate UT.

An attack on Ricky's decision is hardly "UT hate". I'm still waiting to hear a compelling argument as to why people are applauding this decision. Look, the guy failed a drug test (again) and now he's quitting. Some people are trying to portray Ricky as some kind of Renaissance man. He's not. He's a druggie who got busted. He's a gifted athlete who quit on his teammates, coaches and fans. He's a wealthy star who failed to live up to a contractual agreement.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

1300 yards in 392 carries is mediocre. 1200 yards in 16 games is mediocre. In the prime of his career he barely squeeked by with 4ypc other than in his great year. He isn't a bum, but he sure as hell wasn't some franchise rb, and obviously wasn't worth what either team paid for him. Wake me when he makes it to the HOF.

15. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Lol, just watched the Dan b*stard, err, Le Batard, interview on SportsCenter.

"Baron Davis once told me that 90% of the NBA smokes mar1juana."

Well Baron, spotlight ain't on you then now is it. ;)

16. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Whoops; that should read 80, not 90%.

17. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

If a man isn't happy with his life, he has the freedom to try something else. However the timing of this is pretty bad, the Dolphins could have drafted a decent back had they known.

18. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

man, this is just like the time my favorite checkout lady at the grocery store quit because she didnt like "standing all day" and wanted to "spend more time with my grandkids." what a bunch of horsesh!t!! i mean, she checked out people faster than anybody and was the only one that even smiled. and she only gave her boss two weeks notice before thanksgiving! thats the busy season! how can someone just up and do something like that?? she should have thought more about the responsibilities she had to her boss & customers- we relied on her! now, going to shop for groceries sucks even more. ;)

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Mediocre means below average. No way is 1300 yards in one season ever below average. No matter how you justify it, he carries the ball 24-25 times/game which runs the clock and lets his defense rest.

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Exactly, he was a real work horse. He was physically able to carry the ball that many times in a game, in an offense that didn't have many other options.