1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ricky williams retiring from football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by red, Jul 25, 2004.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

On one hand I admire Ricky for doing this. It's his life and he should have no regrets about doing things his way, although I know I probably would be one of the ticked off fans if this were Yao or T-Mac.

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I just want to take this time to remind everyone that along with his other accomplishments, Ricky was the first player to ever score a touchdown in Reliant Stadium(first in stadium pre-season game)

Goodbye Ricky, you will be missed.:(

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You only get to live on this planet one time, you need to persue happiness because your state of mind is all you really have. That happiness can come from raising a family, dedicating your life to a cause, finding love or even achieving material goals. You have to define it for yourself.

We should thank Rickey, The Dalai Lama, Hugh Hefner and others like them for reminding us not to waste our shot.

That being said, it sucks for The Dolphins and don't forget your adjust your fantasy football draft ratings accordingly. Travis Minor wasn't even listed in the 50 RB's on NFL FF, so he could be a good free agent acquisition.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Natural Golf?

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Preseason td's are not an accomplishment.

6. Truth

Truth Member

Blah.... He'll be back next season. I also think this is a cover up for a possible drug suspension by the NFL. I think it's a deal between him and the league, to avoid a public suspension which would tarnish his name. Kind of how the NBA made MJ "retire" because of a pending suspension for gambling ... :cool: This message will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2 ...

- Agent Truth

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

they were talking about on tv how reportedly he tested positive for a 2nd time for drugs and would have to be facing penalities for that.. maybe that has something to do with it ... just some speculation of things that have to do with it that were thrown out on tv earlier

8. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

I CONSIDER MYSELF THE #1 DOLFAN HERE AND IM PISSSED OFF RIGHT ABOUT NOW....

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Were it any other player I would say there has to be some other, hidden factors motivating this, because the timing is just so unbelievably bad. But with Ricky, you never really know...

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

Ok, I had to put this in large font so no one would miss it..........I assume some of you did cause no one brought it up

here's one reason why Ricky is retiring......its the limitations the league puts on his drug use.......

It was in the Le Batard article in this mornings Miami Herald.....

He says it has nothing to do with his decision to retire.........

Obviously, that's a lie cause if it didnt factor into his decision, the subject of his drug use would have never been brought up in the first place.

So basicaly, Ricky retired so he could keep smokin the Ganja.....

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ricky just ruined it for everyone else ;):

From the Miami Herald

Society and the NFL say he can't smoke mar1juana, for example, and that's one of the many rules of his confining workplace he will no longer abide. He says without apology he has gotten around NFL drug tests with a special liquid players all over the league consume by the gallon before tests to avoid detection. He says he simply didn't drink it before getting busted in 2002, and that he still hasn't heard on his appeal of a second failed test, but that the recent mar1juana issues have nothing to do with his decision to retire beyond confirming how stifling celebrity can be and how ill-fitting the NFL is for him.

12. Fatty FatBastard

The funny part is the main reason I didn't go to A&M was that the women weren't attractive, and the reason I didn't go to U.T. was because their were too many stoners from my high school going there.

What is it with U.T., hippies, and mar1juana?

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

There is more to life than football. It's a shame some people don't know this. Those are the people that need help.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

:D Classic giddy, just classic:D

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

WTF

Franchise player -----> YOINK [​IMG]

16. Fatty FatBastard

Any comparisons to Earl, from now on, are blasphemous.

17. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

People use to tell me he talks a little femenin but i use to say no man hes in touch with his inner self.... but now F···· him hes a crack head that hasnt come out of the closet

18. junglerules

junglerules Member

Yeah, I would find it hard for him to return to the league after talking about using the masking agent and all that to cover up his mar1juana use. From other stories I've read, it never seemed like the mar1juana use was the MAIN thing that caused him to retire, but rather a small factor. In a general sense, he probably just got tired of dealing with all the crap that he has to do, from media appearances to NFL administrative mandates. If he wants to move on and do something more meaningful in his life, more power to him. He's a different kind of guy, but that doesn't make me respect him any less.

I do agree the timing could have been better, though. But I guess if he just made his decision now, then that's the way it goes.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Why do people thinke he's gay?

Quote from article:
    ''The only people I'm accountable to are to my three children, and they love me anyway,'' Williams said.

Jeff Garcia on the other hand...

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't understand.

;)