1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Rubio gives great advice to Alexey Shved

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roksoer, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Rubio would be great on teams with a lot of offensive firepower.
    Lin would be great on scrub teams without much offensive firepower.

2. Little General

Define mediocre

1 person likes this.
  3. Karolik

Karolik Member

The bad shooting rubio is the real one. The guy couldn't shoot a lick in europe with weaker competition.

4. roksoer

roksoer Member

Why are we comparing Lin to Rubio? They're entirely different players...
    Rubio is the prototype PG while Lin is more of a combo guard.
    Rubio is more of a system player, surround him with shooters and you have a winning team

Don't dismiss him as a player just because he can't shoot and definitely don't discredit him just because of this season, he is coming off an injury and has to play with Derrick Williams.

The Timberwolves season has been completely ****ed up due to injury so don't start making stupid assumptions, most of the players are probably not even motivated, Rubio is likely just using this opportunity to get back into playing shape for next season while not having to worry about winning, which is probably the message he wanted to communicate to Shved.

This is coming from a former Rubio hater and a person who actually watched a few of his games this year unlike the majority of the LOFs making false assumptions about him in this thread.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I would trade Lin for Rubio in a HEARTBEAT.

Rubio is Jason Kidd 2.0

He will get better at shooting but his court vision is amazing, and is something Lin can only dream of.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Can you imagine a rubio fast break on this team?

He'd be exactly like Lin imo, but obviously with a bit more upside

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Wow, some idiots in this thread prefer Lin over Rubio. I'm not gonna debate you idiots.

Dumbass LOFs.

8. Rocket Booster

So when does Rubio actually finish puberty?

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he had some great years in Europe. especially prior to Barca where he was forced to play off the ball a lot (Carlos Navarro). Which was a pretty odd role for a player like him.

the NBA is a different league and he has a different role. The start of last season was pretty unexpected to me personally (his ability to score at an ok-ish level) but given the extra space in the NBA, not stunning either.

I don't think we really know who Rubio is yet. A ton of talent, great stretches, the unknown is whether can he recover back to that level and stay there, and how long will it take.

10. GWST11

GWST11 Member

I'm a big Lin supporter and you are absolutely right.

Rubio's February numbers, since he became a starter after limited minutes coming off ACL surgery.

13 games, 33 mins, 12.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 9.5 apg, 2.8 stls, 3.6 to, 37.9/25.0/77.8

11. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

Rubio gets high assists but shoots 35% going on 2 years now

Lin is a better penetrator, finisher, rebounder.

If anyone cares about advanced stats Rubio has a poor negative 4 this yer.

Lin put up a 96.8 defensive rating last year, extremely good for a PG

12. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Did you just call Ricky Rubio an elite defender? You're trolling.....right? That guy is a professional matador on the defensive end.

13. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Rubio isn't the athlete Lin is. Though he is clearly a better playmaker and passer. Lin is definitely better on defense - I don't know where this nonsense about Rubio being an elite defender comes from. He's terrible at defense. If he doesn't steal the ball you get a high percentage look.
    I can't say Rubio has done anything in the NBA Lin hasn't surpassed - though neither of them play their best consistently.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Rubio was very impressive on D last year. Ability to stay in front of people, brains, hustle, recovery.

"Matador" in the sense that his long arms are everywhere and there's more than usual gambling going on and a lot of deflections? Sure. But it's not necessarily a sign of bad overall defense - Rondo in his defensive prime or Paul George right now are also matador-ish.

15. 713

713 Member

Russel Westbrook is better then Lin AND Rubio.

16. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

And the sky is blue.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rubio leaves me conflicted. The guy is a ridiculous passer, but he shoots worse than high schoolers. He's pathetic in that area. In comparison to Lin, although Lin can't shoot well, he's not pathetic and he can finish at the rim.

18. roksoer

roksoer Member

Have you ever heard of Jason Kidd?

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've heard of him and saw him play when he was a rookie. Believe it or not, Rubio is a lot worse. I'm not saying Rubio won't get better, but Rubio has been a professional ball player for many years, and his shooting hasn't gotten any better. Considering Europeans tend to know how to shoot, that is not a good sign.

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

That's the problem here. Some of those Rubio nut huggers compare Rubio to Kidd just because they both can pass but can't shoot...

Since Rubio's first 30mins game this season against the Rockets, he averaged 10.8pts/8.2assts/3.6TO. I don't even wanna mention his shooting numbers.