1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Gervais @ Golden Globes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I always thought of Gervais as a comedian and writer/producer. Like a Seinfeld. He’s done more acting than Jerry but that’s not the main gig. I laughed out loud at the Dench bit but it wasn’t that funny of a monologue. Clearly made the room uncomfortable which is 100% why he’s there and partially why he’s hired.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's a work, bro

Globes and attendees aren't really offended. Gervais doesn't really think he's pushing the envelope. This is all just part of the act, an act that apparently helps the Globes get viewers and/or social media action.

The people who are legit mad - and the people who are meta mad because they think Gervais was trying to make them mad - are all getting worked.

REEKO_HTOWN and rhino17 like this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

First, zero cares given about the 'Golden Globes'. Nor the Emmys, nor the Tonys, nor even the Oscars.

I used to care about the Oscars I guess, maybe 20 years ago and earlier. But it's rare now that I have even heard of most of the nominated movies,. much less having seen them.

I'm clearly not their target when it comes to what they consider to be 'the best'.

Also, I've never watched Gervais in the British Office, and I haven't even seen that much of the American Office. It's all just too much discomfort and social hari-kari, over and over and over. Not my cup of tea in other words.

Now I am aware of Gervais, and have seen him from time to time, so I am well-enough aware of him, although I would never have been able to tell you where on the 'PC-meter' he would be located.

So I finally got around to watching that whole opening monologue, after it cause so much of a 'stir'.

I don't have a whole lot to add, but I do have a couple of thoughts.

One, I thought it was funny. He's a funny guy, and frankly he seems to have very sharp claws, so I get it if some people don't care for him.

Two, I personally love it when sanctimonious ignorant hypocrites get called out for being sanctimonious ignorant hypocrites. And I would question anyone who claims they don't. Of course there can always be some difference of opinion as to exactly who the sanctimonious ignorant hypocrites ARE, but that's a different issue.

Three, it was interesting watching the targets of Gervais' words having to sit there and take it. It was the quintessential case of a 'captive audience', where they couldn't hide, they couldn't deflect, they couldn't respond, they simply had to sit there, squirming, with the cameras on their faces, while he skewered them. If the cameras had not been on them, I suspect the faces would have been much.. uglier.

Four, I find it interesting that NBC themselves are promoting Gervais' monologue.

Lastly, one of the most interesting things about it has been in the aftermath. Many people (just regular people, not the targeted 'celebrities') react to his monologue as though they have themselves been personally attacked, and attack Gervais in response - even though he was speaking only and specifically to and about the entertainment industry luminaries who are so good at arrogant virtue-signaling while lacking knowledge, substance, or even, in many cases, intelligence itself.

Makes me wonder why entirely non-involved people would feel like they are also being attacked.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. Headline- Religious man mad at non-religious man and trying to denounce his accomplishments in a cut throat industy.

Heres his wiki link, Ill let you pick and choose what YOU find an accomplishment or not.

Ill just highlight this.
    Pretty outstanding and revered by the industry and his peers to be asked to do that.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

In other Golden Globes news

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I noticed this too. It's crazy. It's from both far right and far left individuals. It's like some kind of reality distortion field where people read or hear what they want to so they can rage.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I thought he was hilarious. We’ve become a little too soft with what is allowed in comedy these days.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He mocks atheists -- he loves Jesus and The Lord (not the band).

[​IMG]

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

To be fair, this behavior is common. OkCupid data:

[​IMG]

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the british office is great, but also check out the show he did after that called extras.

Buck Turgidson and GRENDEL like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Dude is doing very well.

Sajan likes this.
  15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Gervais was genius and love how he called it the whole industry, how they all knew about Weinstein and is “your” friend, the Two Popes being a pedophile movie - that GoT pope with the shocked look was priceless and pathetic for acting like it was a serious insult.

Tom Hanks memes are running rampant, priceless. It surprises me how many “great” actors cannot appreciate comedy mastery. Loved the attack on Disney, Amazon and Apple with the hypocrisy of actors who would work for anyone.

He went out with a real bang, which seems to have pissed people off the most and it was of course that actors know nothing about real life and they are in no position to tell people what to do so no political statements and just accept your speech and **** off.

It seems lost on everyone that not everything he says is reflective of his own opinion. He’s part of it all, making serious money as the host and having been part of Hollywood so he’s also mocking himself.