1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Nov 28, 2014.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

it's time Robert.....

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed . . . .but I am still in a quandry

Why do former Texans seem to do . . .ok

Even Grover Quinn is looking better

Were they poor talents that got better
    or
    were they poorly coached here?

I think we need to let him go so we can at least see . . .make a determination . .

Rocket River

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One or two is a small sample size

4. HRox832

HRox832 Member

He should've been fired yearssss ago

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Glover was damn good while he was here...a few of us were pissed they let him go for Coach Reed. Word is they never even called him.. i hated that then, and I think it's laughable now. The Texans make it so difficult...they really are a sad joke

6. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Its been time long long ago

7. MadMax

I still don't know what he does. If his job is cleaning NRG bathrooms, then I'd say he's pretty effective.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He keeps Bob company in the owner's box during the home games.

9. MadMax

He's awesome at that. Tells great knock-knock jokes!

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Mario walked for the money, and didn't want to turn into an OLB. Barwin was offered more money by Philly than the Texans were comfortable giving him considering his last year here he was complete and utter ****. He had one good season, get over it.

Quin on the other hand had one really good season, and then two consecutive seasons of decline with us. It was time for a change of scenery for him.

We keep guys that want to stay, and have proven to be useful at the expiration of their previous contract. They either walk for the money that the Texans feel that aren't worth (and are usually correct), or have been bad for the team the previous year or both.

Contract stuff isn't handle by Rick Smith. Jamey Rootes has been known for a long time he handles contract talks and signings, along with the McNair's influence.

Rick is supposedly "known" for handling of day to day player evaluation, and handling the scout departments activities. What he does beyond that is well, beyond everyone's knowledge. No one knows how they handle drafts and FA decisions.

I only blame him for talent evaluation of current roster and draft selections. He's extremely bad at both. Not knowing when to cut ties and when shake things up. Drafting horrible players way above their playing ability. I do blame him for that. And with a numerous amount of player failures of the past 5 years or so, I conclude that he should have been let go a ****ing long time ago.

I blame player development on coaches however. And from what I see and hear from inside the organization, that the previous coaching staff was rather garbage at it. Especially on the defensive side.

The jury is still out on this current coaching staff, and should be for at least until their 3rd year. Lets hope it's a much better staff.

11. MadMax

I just posted a Rocket post in this thread....edit

having said that...Glover's best season and most impactful season with the Texans was his last season. I don't get the argument that he was on the decline. And he graded out really well that season...far better than jackass Coach Reed we brought in to replace him.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I ready to get rid of him . . . just to see if we would notice any difference

Change for the sake of change at this point

Rocket River

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Texans always make changes a year too late. Rick smith should've been gone with gary.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wonder if he's working on an extension to Fitzpatrick right now.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Worst GM in all of sports. He shouldn't be allowed near a football field ever again (unless it's as the Cowgirls GM and then I wholeheartedly support his return)

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

No...not even close.

Smith > tannenbaum.

Not to mention many others.

17. conquistador#11

someone, i think raven mentioned bad cap management. and to me, that's the only think I can blame rick smith for.
    People say our drafts suck but do they really?
    2010,2011,2o12, 2013 all looking like great drafts, hitting on 3 prospects out of 7/ i'm including Jones who now plays for New England.

The tragic fall of our Qb is the reason why everything looks so gloomy. I don't think rick saw that coming and offered that deal just because when you have a quarterback you lock them up.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

rick has a dismal draft record... virtually nothing from the 2013 class, and same can be said from the 2014 class (thus far).

on top of that his cap management has been among the worst in the NFL.

it's hard to say who is the worst, but rick is in the conversation.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

tannenbaum is no longer a gm... the same fate rick will face this offseason.

20. conquistador#11

so deandre was acquired how? I remember many wanted every other receiver but deandre. he is playing like a pro bowler. " I wished I would have had him earlier in my career" dre on d-dre after today's game. :grin:

Swearinger is a good safety for now. we have to see if he can stay disciplined and not bite.

Chris jones wrecked shop for New england last season. look at the draft before that, five nice players all hitting strides, 2 on the o-line, jared and whitney on defense and fat randy. And the young cornerbacks are still learning but the potential on them, you can see it.
    I say keep smith but bring in a capologist expert to run that part. I love the draft picks we've made overall from 2009-2013, some are doing their own thing on other teams.