1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Reilly Anchoring Sports Center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete Chilcutt, Dec 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Man this guy is horrible, why is he anchoring, this is just awkward, especially all his hand gestures...

2. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He looks so awkward up there.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The guy is a writer, a darn good writer, but he is not an anchor...probably part of the agreement when he signed on with ESPN.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

yeah, i saw it the other day and thought it must have been a one time (or once every few months) thing. He's not good because he's too wordy. Makes sense for a writer, but not someone to anchor Sportscenter.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Didn't this guy coming to ESPN basically move Dan Patrick off ESPN?

6. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I think he does it like one week a year month bc at the end tonight neil everett was like well Rick I enjoyed having you this week or something like that.

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

One week a year**

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Probably just did it for an article. Classic columnist technique. Do someone else's job for a day, then write an article about it.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yes, I agree. I would think Pete Chilcutt would do a better job hosting Sportscenter.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

From Wikipedia:

Departure from ESPN/ABC

On July 9, 2007, Patrick on his radio show announced his departure from ESPN/ABC effective August 17, 2007, stating, "I am leaving ESPN August 17 to go out on my own and be a free agent...I think I was starting to take it (ESPN) for granted," Patrick said. He said ESPN tried to talk him out of it. If there were any animosity, he says, "I wouldn't be sticking around until August."

Patrick remained off air from ESPN Radio until August 15 for his three farewell shows.[4] He was originally reported to be returning for a final week, but returned on Wednesday of that week.

ESPN's statement released to the media said that Patrick would be released from his contract August 31, 2007, exactly one year early from his deal that was to run until August 31, 2008. The statement also said this would be the final comment on Patrick's departure from ESPN. "ESPN contractually bans all employees from making specific announcements of their futures on their airways, but out of respect to Dan and all he's done for ESPN we allowed him an opportunity to end the speculation".

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Stan Verrett's probably on vacation.

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

You know, I was thinking the same thing snoop

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I saw him on there as well. I don't really care for his writing and I really don't care for the job he is doing on Sportscenter. I used to enjoy his writing in SI, but he jumped the shark when he started putting columns in ESPN that he had written in SI years ago.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He is pretty weird up there but I enjoyed it. It's goofy. I can handle goofy. The fact that he doesn't belong up there makes it enjoyable, he even buttoned all 3 buttons on his suit. That is awesome. And his goofy lines to deliver highlights, love it.