1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Perry signs 5 new education Bills

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

While I'm not a fan of the Gov (I voted for White, and then Friedman before him)...I'm very glad he signed these bills. It eliminates 10 standardized tests, allows for students to replace their 4th year math/science/english/social studies class with a trade-based class (for those not going to college). Now if we could just get the school funding issues solved.

http://carlaranger.blogspot.com/2013/06/texas-governor-rick-perry-signed-into.html

Texas Association of School Boards Update: Governor signs HB 5 into Law

"Gov. Rick Perry today signed into law a package of education bills today that he said will improve opportunities for Texas students.

Key among those bills was House Bill 5, which reduces end-of-course exams required for graduation from 15 to 5; provides multiple pathways to graduation through endorsement plans in which students may take classes that are more relevant to their chosen career paths; and establishes a new A-F accountability system for districts – not campuses.

Other bills signed by the governor include:

HB 809 requires the Texas Workforce Commission to provide quarterly updates to TEA regarding current and projected employment opportunities. School districts will use the information to plan and implement career and technology education and training programs.

HB 2201 would require the SBOE to approve at least six advanced technology and career-related courses that satisfy the third and fourth credits in math and science.

SB 441 establishes the Texas Fast Start Program to identify and develop methods supporting competency-based, rapid-deployment education delivery models that maximize academic or workforce education credit from public junior and state colleges and technical institutions in order to expedite entry into the workforce. The Texas Workforce Commission will collaborate with the THECB, junior and state colleges, and technical institutes. Fast start programs will focus on current and future employment needs and will enable students to obtain accelerated postsecondary certifications and degrees in high-demand fields.

HB 3662 creates the Texas Workforce Innovation Needs Program to provide selected school districts, public institutions of higher education, and private or independent institutions of higher education with the opportunity to establish innovative programs designed to prepare students for careers for which there is demand in this state."

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Congratulations, Rick Perry, it is not immediately apparent how you screwed this one up. :p

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perry just vetoed the Sunset bill reauthorizing the Ethics Commission. The bill, among other things, would have prohibited former legislators from using campaign funds for lobbying former colleagues in the Texas Legislature. Another thing in the ethics bill would have required Railroad Commission members to step down if running for another office. Railroad Commissioners typically accept contributions from the oil and gas industry, the very industry the commission regulates. The Railroad Commission has nothing to do with railroads, which many Texans have no idea is the case. Perry also vetoed funding for the Public Integrity Unit of the Travis County District Attorney's office, which handles corruption cases against public officials across the state. I could go on, but the fact of the matter is that Perry is the most corrupt governor we've had in a very, very, very long time. Education? Hell, education funding is still way below what it was just a few years ago, this despite the state running up a multi-billion dollar budget surplus.

Perry deserves scorn, not praise.

1 person likes this.
  4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Agreed. I can proudly say that, even though I lean toward the Republicans, I have never voted for Perry.

He has slashed funding for our public universities. Tuition rates at those universities is now triple what it was in 1996.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can honestly say, I don't know anyone who likes the guy. Even my friends who are the staunchest Republicans are not fans. I hope White runs against him again.

6. Refman

Rematches are usually not any better the second time. Foreman v. Holyfield taught us that. The Democrats should run somebody with more charisma and crossover appeal.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Texas is booming and Perry's been at the helm the entire time.

Disappointed he's done very little to implement school choice/vouchers.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know what the percentages are for political rematches, but in White's case, while he would have made an excellent governor, he has the charisma of a turnip. So yeah, the Democratic Party needs to find a candidate with very deep pockets, Perry having sold his soul long ago for his campaign funding (with his pockets being very deep indeed), and a candidate with actual charisma who can give a hell of a stump speech. Anyone out there taller than 5'5"?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What you forgot to mention is that the stripping of funds from the Travis County PIU is that he did it after trying to extort Rosemary Lehmberg into quitting so he could name a Republican DA to replace her. He's blatantly breaking the law to stop ethics investigations into his cronies.

10. Refman

I often dream of a day where both parties run reasonable moderate candidates. We would end up with better candidates and a better government.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Commodore

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D1izHVRxv7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Commodore

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KNcxGgzq9e4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Trust me... I very aware of the whole sordid business. Perry has had a hard-on about stealing the Integrity Unit from the state capital since he was handed the Governor's chair by Shrub. He sees Limburger Cheese and her DWI as his big chance. Well, she didn't cooperate by resigning her office, as you know, so that Ricky Dicky Perry could appoint a Republican and stop worrying about him and/or his friends being busted for corruption. Pimp Perry's answer? Veto the funding for the office. Add that to his other actions during this travesty of a "special" session, and the picture is clear.

Corruption is as corruption does, and Tricky Ricky Perry is exactly that, while being perfectly shameless about it. He assumes that the people of Texas won't notice. You know what? He's probably right. The collective IQ of my state is as low as I've ever see it. Examples abound here. Ain't that special?