1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Perry: Black Lives Matter -- And So Does Black Liberty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I don't give a tinker's continental damn what Perry wrote. Not today, yesterday, or next week. He was a disaster for the State of Texas and did nothing but hurt Blacks and other minorities during his extremely long tenure as governor. He was great for his rich pals, though. I'll give him that.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from the speech, some stats that belie your assertion:

[rquoter]Texas’ high school graduation rate went from 27th in the country in 2003, to 2nd in the country in 2013. Our most recent graduation rate for African-Americans is number one in the nation: 13 points higher than the national average.

[snip]

When I was governor of Texas, I had the honor of appointing Willis’ great-great-great-grandson—Wallace Jefferson—to be the first African-American on the Supreme Court of Texas.

In 2004, I appointed Wallace to be the Supreme Court’s first black Chief Justice.

[snip]

We haven’t eliminated black poverty in Texas. But neither have we allowed it to fester.

In New York, the supplemental poverty rate for blacks is 26 percent. In California, it’s 30 percent. In Washington, D.C., it’s 33 percent. In Texas it's 20%.

[/rquoter]

#22 basso, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

10/10