1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick James Autopsy Results: Shocker?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Sep 17, 2004.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20040917/en_music_eo/14949&e=1

Rick James Autopsy Shocker

By Charlie Amter

Rick James may have died of "natural causes," as his label announced the day after his death, but a Los Angeles county coroner's report released Thursday confirms the singer's last few days may have been anything but homeopathic.

The coroner's office officially ruled James' Aug. 6 death "accidental," but also noted that no fewer than nine drugs were found in his system, including methamphetamine and cocaine.

As E! exclusively reported Aug. 7, James was spotted just days prior to his death at a Hollywood party using cocaine, and many of his friends privately were concerned that the former "Superfreak" was back to his partying ways before his untimely death.

James and his family had maintained that the R&B/funk star successfully kicked his cocaine habit and was sober after years spent battling a crack addiction.

The "Give It to Me Baby" singer spent time in a Los Angeles jail during the mid 1990s for a 1991 crack-fueled assault and had said in past interviews that his time behind bars had convinced him to stay clean.

In addition to cocaine and crystal meth, the Los Angeles county coroner's report noted the presence of seven other drugs found during the autopsy--specifically Xanax, Valium, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Digoxin, Chlorpheniramine and Vicodin. No single drug was found in quantities that would establish lethal quantities, hence the accidental death ruling.

The singer's official cause of death remains heart attack, according to the coroner's office. The 56-year-old had been suffering from several health issues, including diabetes, a stroke in 1998 and heart-related problems in recent years.

James remains best-known for his 1981 hit "Superfreak." However, the Grammy winner was more than a one-hit wonder. He sold millions of records in the 1980s and is widely credited with saving Motown Records from bankruptcy with hit albums like 1981's Street Songs.

In addition, James wrote and produced songs for Teena Marie, Eddie Murphy, Mary Jane Girls, the Temptations and Smokey Robinson. He also licensed his work for sampling by artists such as Mary J. Blige and, famously, M.C. Hammer.

The R&B star's death came just as the '80s legend was making a comeback of sorts. Comic Dave Chappelle's Chappelle's Show recently introduced James' music, unmistakable swagger and funk-filled persona to a new, younger demographic via a particularly memorable skit on the Comedy Central series. James was also reportedly meeting with Paramount and several other studios to have his upcoming memoirs turned into a feature-length film, with Chappelle in talks to star. The singer had also recently recorded more than 20 songs for a new album.

The beloved multi-instrumentalist received an all-star send off memorial service in Los Angeles Aug. 11 before being buried in his hometown of Buffalo, New York, two days later.

2. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

he was such a badassss

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

cocaine's a hell of a drug

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Love them and leave them...........thats what he used to do.....

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

would he have gotten half this attention had it not been for dave.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yes, young'n ;)

7. Isabel

Isabel Member

Not really too shocking; what did we expect? The guy was a walking pharmacy. Mess with your body that much and you can't expect to live too long. The system is not made for that kind of stress.

(And, sadly, often when they say they're "clean" and "on the wagon" they aren't.)

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"In addition to cocaine and crystal meth, the Los Angeles county coroner's report noted the presence of seven other drugs found during the autopsy--specifically Xanax, Valium, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Digoxin, Chlorpheniramine and Vicodin."

That is quite a cocktail of drugs. :eek:

9. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Damnit, I thought the shocker was going to be that he actually did die of natural causes...

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Just say no.

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Moderation is the key to happiness.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

:)

you know... i've always wanted to try something like mj or something, but never had the balls to. afraid of all of a sudden getting fired from a job, having to apply for a new one, and then having to take a pee test for the new one. also afraid of getting caught the first time and having to go to jail or getting hooked on the stuff.

i was kinda jealous when someone started that "you'll never know who i just met" thread last year about mj. i was suprised at all those who had tried it.

moderation is the key? i just have no balls i guess.

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I might do it sometime if I go to Holland or if they legalize it here.

On the other hand, my brother told me once about MJ - "You have enough trouble getting off your ass anyway. You don't need a drug that makes it worse!" :D

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

God, I hope you're kidding.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If we're talking about the attention James has received the past year, then adeelsiddiqui is right. Three years ago, we weren't hearing anything about RJ, and suddenly last year he's all over the place. Not saying that he didn't have success and attention throughout his career, but he definitely benefitted from the phrase, "I'm Rick James, b****!"