1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Carlisle on Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by King Boo, Oct 15, 2012.

1. King Boo

King Boo Member

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mavs/2012/10/mavs-want-to-control-jeremy-lin-tonight.html

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

This didn't need it's own thread. Not trying to be rude or anything but this was unnecessary.

1 person likes this.
  3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Neither are the countless new threads saying Lin sucks...

2 people like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As someone once said, '25 wrongs don't make a right.'

But really, this would have been a great contribution to an existing thread.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Agreed. Both are silly.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Too many new users ruining this forum.

7. King Boo

King Boo Member

Meh, didn't feel like putting this in the game thread. It's relevant since we're playing the Mavericks today and considering the rampant panic around the forum about Lin's game.

[​IMG]

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Wish I have the power to neg rep.

9. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Are there actually active moderators here?

Just make a catch-all thread for Lin articles, mentions, videos, etc.

10. stefanb

stefanb Member

Thank you, these people are probably the same ones that ruined Stussy, Supreme, and Diamond since they saw their favorite stupid ass rapper wearing it.

11. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

You know when everyone said there would be a bunch of LOFs, in the same way there were YOFs when we drafted Yao. I thought they were clearly exaggerating; Yao was the first overall pick and was a superstar representing a country of 1.3 billion. No way Lin could have even a remotely similar effect. Clearly I was wrong. Not YOF level, but definitely up there.At least these guys are capable of writing in readable English. And we still haven't seen threads about Lin getting a haircut.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I never understood how people can only like the player and why they follow the player around.

I'm a big fan of Kevin Durant but I don't follow the Thunder at all.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Long time lurker, first time poster.

It's really not all that surprising. People follow basketball for any number of reasons.

Some are big into their teams.
    Some have teams that constantly disappoint so choose a surrogate team.
    Some follow individual players because they are viewed as special or exciting in some way.
    Some follow multiple teams because they enjoy the sport of basketball.
    Some follow multiple teams so they can get a different perspective on their own time sans homer glasses.

I fall into multiple categories.

My main team is the Knicks. I'll always follow them. For many years the Knicks have underperformed which means that unless I want to go twiddle my thumbs early in the post-season, I have to pick other teams to follow as well.

I follow the Spurs and OKC because they play a beautiful game. I'm a big fan of teams that try to play "classic" team basketball. I like a fast-paced game with share the ball offense and team defense more than watching iso players and "superstar" defensive players like Howard. Seeing a team of players constantly box out, contest shots and make correct defensive switches to me is far more impressive than a single "great" defender.

There are also individual players that I follow with varying levels of intensity. Sometimes because those players are exceptional (I'll watch Lebron, Durant, Westbrook and Kobe when the opportunity arises), and other times I'll follow players because there's something intriguing about them.

In the case of Jeremy Lin and the Rockets I've been following the Rockets on and off for some time. I'm a fan of Morey and basketball metrics in general so I've been watching his moves for several seasons. I'm also a fan of Lin for several reasons. Partly because he's very likable. Partly because he's a former Knick. Partly because he's just a very intriguing proposition.

Jeremy Lin represents an unresistable story to me. He's a player who SHOULD have been drafted and SHOULD have gotten a D1 scholarship offer based off his high school and college career. And he literally explodes overnight despite being missed by virtually everyone.

Toss in that there's an ongoing debate at both the fan, player and professional analyst level of how good he can/will be... average, above average, below average, good or an all star and you have a compelling story. It doesn't hurt that he's humble, low key, and very personally likable with a great underdog story. I find myself wanting to watch him play every game.

Lin could be a massive bust, or he could be one of the biggest cinderella stories in the history of basketball. IF he turns out to be anywhere near as good as the glimpses we saw last year, I sure as heck don't want to miss it. Stories like Lin don't appear often if ever in ANY sport. So like any good movie or novel, you're drawn in and want to see what happens next.

Anyway, there's all kinds of fans. And to be honest, the hardcore basketball gearheads are a small portion of the fan base (though often the most loyal).

Does Lin get too much media given his track record? Yes. Is he the 2nd coming of John Stockton or Nash? Not very likely. However, he does get the appropriate amount of media given the general fan interest. After all, if people didn't want to know, they wouldn't be reading all those articles.

In the end, nobody really knows how good/bad Lin will be. That said, if he does turn out to be good, very good or an all-star, I want to see it unfold. Partially because I wish the kid well, partially because if you're going to have a once in a generation sports story, I want to see every twist and turn.

3 people like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good post. Even though you are not a Rockets fan. I respect your view.

Constant Lin trolling on both sides is just annoying. Lin doesn't deserve any of this on his behalf.

15. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

THIS.

I can see that a lot of people are bashing Lin not because they hate Lin (what's to hate? The kid's a saint ;)), but are doing so to tick off the Lin fans. Then it turned into a pi$$ing contest. Then some people turned into Lin-haters (actually Lin-fans-haters) and bash Lin even more and even wish Lin failure to prove they're right.

In other news, I follow players rather than teams because Vancouver doesn't have an NBA team since the Grizzlies left town.

16. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Happen with Knicks fans too. I am actually one of the few not too biased Lin fans here.

17. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I was a Grizzlies fan for those 5 fricken godawful years...

thinking... ill put up with this... they will eventually get better...

then they moved the team...

and I was also a life long Sonics Fan...

then they moved that team also...

18. napalm06

Is it logically correct for a person to call themselves 'not too biased'? :p

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

OP a lin only fan?

20. napalm06

Yeah, but they're not the e-baton wielding goobers that serve as mods at most online forums. They're just basketball fans with full-time jobs that do what they can. They barely have time to keep up with all of the incorrect thread placements, much less clearing out the threads that are just redundant clutter.