1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman to coach Timberwolves

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

really lakers! mike brown over adelman? it would be one thing if kobe has said brown was his guy, but he apparently was not.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Rick will appreciate being the top man and not having a powerful GM in the organization. This is a dream scenario for him that is better than staying with the Rockets (especially with $25 million guaranteed). For a prickly guy like Adelman, I bet Morey was an annoyance.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Khan is a bigger controllive douche

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That game is over. Khan won't be allowed to control Adelman or Adelman wouldn't have taken the job. Kahn will be gone eventually.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Love, Randolph, Derick, Beasly, Rubio. This is almost as good as it gets when it comes to playing with kids.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dream scenario? His dream scenario ended once Mike Brown took the Lakers job.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/09/rick-adelman-doesnt-like-david-kahn-very-much/

Rick basically chose to rot in Minny and make the most of it while getting an @ss load of money.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So much for the notion that Adelman parted way with the Rockets because he wouldn't want to coach a rebuilding team.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I don't think he ever said that; he said he wanted to stay here. I thought the main reason was the differences b/t Adelman and Morey.

Morey can control McHale, and now Adelman has power on his own team.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just happy he didn't end up coaching the Lakers.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They may not get along, but Adelman may make Kahn look like a better GM than his current reputation. If the team starts winning on a mediocre level (which is my expectation), those secondary stars will gain some renown and Kahn wil get the credit for acquiring them.

The one caveat being that I think it's likely that Rubio finds himself on the outer edge of the rotation in the first season, which would give Kahn a serious black eye. The damage would depend on how Rubio would react -- would he go Spanoulis without playing time?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He didn't want to have his assistants assigned to him, and have to get rid of some of them that were loyal.

And, Morey and Les wanted him out, so they made a deal that was unpalatable to him to make it seem less than what it was.

Which was an underhanded, weasley way to get it done.

DD

14. droxford

droxford Member

No kidding! This was my immediate thought!

When I heard that at the end of last season, I knew that was a bunch of bull$hit.

IMHO, Rick is no longer with the Rockets because he and Morey didn't get along. Rick didn't like Morey's roster moves that traded away players in order to make the Rockets' future better. It messed with Rick's lineups and made it difficult for Rick to win games and have a winning season.

15. Chris Jent MVP

good luck rick.

now we get to see how good "hall of fame coach" combined with "elite draft picks" compares with rockets "bottom level talent" and "mediocrity treadmill"....

rick has total control without that pesky management trying to tell him what to do. should be the ideal scenario for him yes?

my prediction - timberwolves will not do ay better than the rockets for the next 5 years atleast. overhyped coach is overhyped.

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

And Morey didn't like Adelman's favorite 40 year old center. Why else would Morey give Brad Miller such a fat contract.

No one player (beside from Miller) has been overpayed under his watch.

1 person likes this.
  17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very interesting and obviously a good hire by Minnesota.

This may be a bit premature but this move potentially affects us as well given that we've floated around the 8-10 range the past two years. With all that young talent, Adelman's explosive offensive system and low expectations -- don't be surprised if Minnesota isn't the doormat of the Western Conference anymore. If you ask me (and if Kahn doesn't completely screw things up), this team has the potential to possibly break the 40-win plateau. In which case, it does, indeed, affect us.

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Our team the last 2 years over achieved IMO, and so will the Wolves, but this time they will have a go to player in Love and possibly in Williams.

Ridnour/Rubio
    Webster/Ellington
    Williams/Beasley
    Love/Randolph
    Milicic/Pekovic/Miller

The Wolves have a better future by far.

We do have the advantage of our big market and possibly Hakeem luring Howard to come play for us.

20. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Exactly! Still i wanted him to go to a contender at least. This is sad. The wolves wont be a serious threat for a while.