1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Williams' career defensive rating is worse than anyone who he'd be replacing.

Btw, RA coached the best defensive team in Rockets history a few seasons ago. So ya..

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would respectfully make the statement or opinion that Kobe and Jordan did not acclimate to Phil Jackson's triangle, but the triangle offense acclimated to their style of play.

The triangle is more about spacing on the floor and an inside out style of passing the ball then it is about ball hogging. A key player can and should be touching the ball on every offensive possesion in the triangle.

With Adelman's system, the only person who should be touching the ball every possesion should be the point guard bringing the ball up the court, and the facilitator on the high post. The wings and eventually the point guard are searching for open space to get a shot off or get to the wing.

Terrence creates off the dribble. He does not move without the ball. Simple as that.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes you can and yes he did. You work with what you have and play to their strengths.

Adelman did make it work with McGrady. How did it not work? It worked as good as it could, until McGrady didn't have it anymore.

I'd say Clyde Drexler was pretty good. Chris Webber put up 27 pts a game under Adelman. Of course McGrady. Yao seemed to touch the ball quite a bit.

4. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

I've been with these guys longer??? Really Rick?????! Thats the worst excuse I've ever heard. If we were winning right now, then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I REALLY think Adelman is being a dense buffoon about Twill. He brings so much to the table and Coach is refusing to acknowledge that. I've been an Adelman supporter for a long time, but unless we start winning, something needs to change. We can't keep running out the same losing rotation. I think Patterson should get more time as well. He can bang down low AND spread the floor with his shot.

5. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Yea, since he's played so much and all I bet that's a great, comprehensive rating. Or not. So ya..

6. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

How could a coach not make it work with McGrady and Yao? You have to be pretty fail to not break 500 just letting them do their own thing. When Adelman came, he inherited the work ethic that JVG instilled in his players. After a few years under Adelman, it is clear they no longer play with the fire and underdog team needs to play with.

I stand by what I say, why would a super star want to play for Adelman? None of the people you named were free agents that had the choice to come to play for him. As a superstar, I would much rather play for Jackson than Adelman.

7. dobro1229

Would tend to disagree with your connection of one of the best defensive ratings and coaching.

The style of play was totally different two seasons ago, and they actually had a defensive scheme that was simple and worked because of personnel. Funnel the dribble penetration in the middle to Yao/Mutumbo and focus on perimeter shooters.

The defensive scheme now... well turn on the tv tonight and watch it for yourself.

Its the same, but with Chuck Hayes or Jordan Hill in the middle and Scola closing out on shooters. Personnel is a good majority of the problem here but the defensive coaching obviously is not top notch when you give up 125 points to the TWolves.

8. ashishduh

Everyone he would he replacing is either an elite defensive player(battier) or a young guy like himself, who has proven more than he has in his short career(Bud,Lee,Lowry).

I'm sorry you think we should play BAD young players over good young players or established veterans.

9. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I understand already having a set rotation

But I'd like to see him say "I've been with them longer" after trading for a Chris Paul or Carmello..:

No star would be wasting away on the bench regardless of the situation before they got here

10. ashishduh

Personnel is the ENTIRE problem. A coach who's coached a dozen top-notch defensive team across three decades and three teams doesn't magically go bat****.

Also, for further proof of the problem being entirely due to lack of shot blocking center, note that the best defensive lineup the Rockets have played this year is starters + Hill instead of Hayes despite Hayes being far superior individual defender.

11. TheFreak

Not sure, maybe ask yourself that question, since you were the one who said he couldn't.

You're all over the place now. So you think if Adelman was coaching the Heat instead of Spoelstra, the Big 3 wouldn't be there right now? What free agents came to play for Jackson? Jordan? no. Shaq? no. Bryant? no. That's all the superstars he's coached. I'll even throw in Pippen and Gasol, the answer is still no, none of the guys were free agents. It's an irrelevant question anyway, since most free agent superstars don't change teams (until this year at least).

12. dobro1229

Hill provides shot blocking, but is virtually ineffective when he gets in foul trouble due to the lack of defense on dribble penetration. Hill's success on the floor is mostly due to his matchups. With Scola, he is ineffective because of Scola's poor defense on rotations and inability to close out on shooters on the perimeter.

There are plenty of teams out there right now that are similar in athleticism and height, but are much more affective because of their preparation and focus on the defensive end. Chicago, even without Noah, does not have two shot blocking centers on their defense, but they are still one of the top defensive teams in the league even without their starting Center.

Now whether its the players fault or Adelman's it doesn't matter. Its his job to make the team buy into the defensive scheme and gameplan, and he has to be held accountable for that or learn to not play players who will not buy into the defensive gameplan even if it results in a few less points on the board.

Until I can actively see him making these adjustments, you will find it difficult for me to label Adelman as a good/decent defensive coach.

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

Simply put, on a team that has more offense than defense, Coach would rather have a streak shooting, no D wing in the rotational (Chase), than a more defensive minded, multi-positional player in Williams. It's a mistake in the long run, should Rick not get bailed out by injury. Later today, I'll be creating a thread on this (and other) topics.

14. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

You're all over the place now. So you think if Adelman was coaching the Heat instead of Spoelstra, the Big 3 wouldn't be there right now? What free agents came to play for Jackson? Jordan? no. Shaq? no. Bryant? no. That's all the superstars he's coached. I'll even throw in Pippen and Gasol, the answer is still no, none of the guys were free agents. It's an irrelevant question anyway, since most free agent superstars don't change teams (until this year at least).[/QUOTE]

I should have read your signature sooner! Adelman bias much?

Don't even begin to bring the Heat into this picture, whoever was their coach is irrelevant. Super friends would have united regardless of who was at the helm.

Why do you keep bringing up Jackson? He is a million times the coach Rick is. If a free agent had the choice to go to a team and the 2 coaching candidates were Rick and Phil... Who do you think they would pick?

LOL if you think a superstar would rather play for Rick than Phil

15. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

A Phil Jackson Vs. Rick Adelman debate is really a non-starter. By any way in which you choose to measure, Phil is the superior coach. He's probably the best NBA coach of all time.

Now, as for this topic.... I've read a couple of posts in the last couple of pages that imply that Terrence is a "bad" young player, and that's why he's not getting any playing time. I really have no clue how anyone here could come to that conclusion. Defensive ratings for a player who was a rookie on one of the worst teams in league history means nothing to me. Nor does the fact that he wasn't able to crack this years Nets rotation, because the head coach is a tyrant and Terrence ended up in his doghouse. A "bad" young player doesn't win the rookie of the month award when guys like Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans were still killing teams. A "bad" young player doesn't lift his god awful Nets team over a pretty darn good Bulls team later in the season when the Bulls are fighting for playoff positioning. A "bad" young player doesn't rack up a triple double in said game against the Bulls. A "bad" young player doesn't just average a fat triple double in a limited D League action.

Terrence most likely isn't the messiah, but he's far from trash, too. There is a middle ground here. He's a talented kid; he's yet to put it all together, especially mentally, but there's quite a bit of evidence out there to suggest that if he does, he could be a force in this league.

Adelman's comments aren't surprising in the least. He's essentially echoing what a lot of folks around here have been saying since the trade went down. From my end, I've expressed some impatience with the process, but that's really more of a selfish thing. I didn't know too much about Williams before he got here. Then I watched his game against the Bulls last year, and a couple of his games at Louisville, and I've gotten excited about the kid. My team has a shiny new toy, and I'd like to see that toy get played with. It's an extra added benefit that playing Terrence now will help him develop and give us a clue as to whether or not he should be a piece to move forward with.

As long as he can stay patient and focused, Terrence will get his chance. And that chance will come this season. One of Shane, Kevin, Chase, Courtney, or Aaron is going to get moved. It's only a matter of time.

16. ashishduh

I don't think you full appreciate what I mean when I say we need a shot blocker. I'm not saying we need Hakeem or Mutumbo.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=blk_pct

Find the first Rocket on that list. Then look at how many Bulls are above him. Nuff said.

17. herro

herro Member

RFFCMTLI

Rocket fans for Calipari minus the legal issues!

18. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Agree, not to mention the guy cant shoot. He looks kinda lost out there.

19. TheFreak

Because I was responding to your post where you brought him up? :confused:

Don't worry, I won't make that mistake again.

20. dobro1229

Statistics on blocked shot percentages dont tell you anything about TEAM defense. I agree adding a shot blocker will help anchor the defense, but If you dont realize that if the shot blocker is in foul trouble most of the game, then they are not helping out the TEAM defense very much.

Jordan Hill has the same abilities as alot of the top people on that list. However, when the players closing out on the wings cannot stop dribble penetration, it puts guys like Hill in a position to either foul or allow an easy bucket in the paint. Most efficient shot blockers get clean blocks on help side defense.

Yao Ming,Mutumbo, Shaq etc. were effective anchors on defense because they not just good shot blockers, they literally clogged the paint.

Plus the fact that Amare Stoudamire is high on this list playing on one of the worst defensive rated teams in the NBA shows that this statistics do not show a great barometer on Team defense and defensive coaching.