1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dude, about the best we could expect in the lottery scenario is to have about the 8th to the 10th most ping pong balls. The odds of getting a top 3 lottery pick.......................about 1 in 10. You would really rather gamble on getting a lottery pick and then gamble on that lottery pick actually panning out into something than to take a trade that lands us a superstar or upgrades this team significantly and continues to increase the value of our assets?

Not me.

The only time I want to be top 3 in the lottery is when we trade into the top 3 after the ping pong balls have popped and we know who the player is that we are taking and he is an almost can't miss type prospect. And only then when it becomes obvious that we can't trade for a proven superstar and we need to totally tear it down. We're not at that point yet. With one legit big man, with this current bunch of mediocrity, we'd be somewhere between 5 and 8 in the West. We are playing terribly undersized. We do not have a single center on the roster besides a gimpy old man that can't hardly jog up the court (Miller). He's plum stove up.

This team was built to play around Yao. If we had a healthy Yao, we would undoubtedly be a top 4 team in the West. That's one guy. If we get a very mediocre center we are 5-8 in the West. And if we actually pull a move for a true superstar, we could be even better.

Everyone should write off the lottery. There's no way we can play bad enough for the rest of the season to get down low enough to be in there with Sacramento, Cleveland, and Minnesota in ping pong ball count.

#141 jopatmc, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. herro

herro Member

Rick...

You're losing without him...

You might as well lose while still letting young guys play...ffs.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A two year extension? Anything less than three would be an insult, in my opinion. I'll pass on commenting about your diet. ;-)-

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm definitely an amateur, but I do appreciate the compliment. Thanks, Commodore.

I don't think he says he doesn't know why the Rockets traded for him. Maybe he feels that way, but he just says there wasn't a spot for him to play on this team (which means he may or may not like the move, but it's a future move):

"We traded for him. There wasn't a spot for him anyway, and I've been with these other guys a lot longer. I know what they can do and I know how they can play. Unfortunate for him, that's just the way it is."

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Part of the reason why coaches have wanted to coach in Houston was because of the professionalism of Les Alexander and the front office to not get in the way of coaching the team and let them do their job with the necessary resources.

I agree that trading away some of his "comfort foods" would be about the only way for him to play younger players though, but you will want a good mix of vets and young talent on the roster or you could end up like Sacramento or New Jersey real quick.

I also respectfully disagree that getting in the playoffs as an eight seed would not be preferrable because of the ability to draft higher. I think if you can get in the playoffs year after year, winning helps your team... well... win.

-Plus, you have no idea what the roster will look like after February, and the team that survives the trade deadline might be one worth rooting for to surprise some teams in the West.

1 person likes this.
  6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Rick is tired of dealing with bad defense and mediocrity. You could sense that. To read into it anything more about TWill, you can't. We know the game. We always play the guys we want to trade, make them look as good as possible, then trade them when their value is peaked.

These are the players most likely to be moved over the next month:

1. Yao (huge expiring contract, most likely to be traded)
    2. Hill - (rookie scale contract with potential with a younger player with more potential behind him in Patterson)
    3. Scola (He is BYC but with our trade exceptions that is no problem, has value to playoff type teams, and he's 30)
    4. Chase (low scale rookie contract and has some skills, but will never be a good defender)
    5. Jared - (expiring)

These are the players that could possibly be moved for the right trade:
    1. Shane (expiring and valuable to a playoff contender)
    2. Brooks (teams want him and Morey is holding out for the most value)
    3. Pat Patterson (we want to keep him over Hill unless he helps get us the true superstar)
    4. Lee

These are the players most likely not to be moved unless moving them gets us back a superstar that Morey believes makes us significantly better.

1. Kevin Martin (most valuable player on this team. Most likely player on the team to not be dealt and still be here after Feb 24.)
    2. Kyle Lowry (BYC right now and too valuable unless for significant point upgrade, if he is traded, most likely after this season, not right now)
    3. TWill (has huge potential and low trade value)
    4. Brad Miller (no trade value, not expiring, and no one wants or needs him and his contract and he's Adelman's player/coach)
    5. Ish Smith (rookie that makes nothing and has good potential)

1 person likes this.
  7. SupermoochieFro

This is very true. Kevin Martin is probably the best player for RA's system and we see how far that gets us. RA is a HOF coach but he doesn't seem to be the right coach for this team. He's a great coach for a team with seasoned vets who are ready to win now. There really is no reason that TWill can't see some minutes in place of Lee at this point. Somebody in that backcourt will get traded so we might as well know what ALL of them can do!

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

agree. and agree.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If we are clearly rebuilding next season, I hope Rick Adelman isn't part of the process.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

OK, then a 3 year extension....put Rick's feet to the fire....find out if he wants to be here during the transition or not.

We have to find out NOW what we have for next year.....maybe you can delay that until after the trade deadline but no further beyond that.

DD

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Rick Adelman is the coach Houston deserves but not the one it needs right now.

12. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Adelman is lazy and unwilling to change.... oh wait, yeah, he's just old.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK for the sake of argument here just why would RA agree to this even with that extension? At this point in his career, he's not chasing wins (he has 900 of those already), he's chasing a championship and the scenario you present does not give him the best chance at finally getting that ring. That's why I agreed with you in that he looks to be gone next season. I also don't believe that DM and the Rockets' management really don't have a true idea as to what they want to do which is why I suspect that they will keep trying to swing a trade and bring back Yao in a reduced role (and salary) next season. I will have to see them actually trade him before I believe it as he's too valuable economically to Uncle Les.

14. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Funny how our organization is run like a fantasy bball squad..

15. seeingred

seeingred Member

would rep if i knew how. everyone read this again, chill out, and continue to wait for the trade deadline like we do every year.

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

8 page thread about our 12th man.

Although I shouldn't be surprised, we had similar threads about our old 12th man.

Btw, as D'antoni said, RA does play young guys(Bud, Hill, Pat to some extent), he just doesn't play BAD ones.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why would any superstar want to play for Phil Jackson, in a system that doesn't allow him to dominate the ball?

18. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

you can't dominate the ball in a triangle? Phil didnt let MJ and Kobe do their thing?

Adelman does not want any players to dominate the ball, hence the read and react. I am pretty sure Phil could make it work with T-Mac where Adelman can't.

Jackson has a track record of making it work with super-stars. does Rick?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Freak was being sarcastic.

Hill,

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he would accept it, but what you do is you make it his choice.....but part of it is that you are going to be playing the younger players the rest of THIS year.

DD

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My point before that response though was that it is sad that Terrence's lack of playing time most likely has nothing to do with defense and all about fitting into Adelman's system.

In the past with the Yao/T-Mac years, Adelman didnt really have a choice but to play outside his system to accomodate the players he had on his roster. The past two years... well it is what it is... its HIS system.

If Terrence was a superstar, which he is not, than I have no doubt Adelman would change his style of play on offense if he had to, but the problem here is defense. He is delegating play based on fitting into the offense alone.

Adelman is not willing to change his style of play for just anyone despite what they might be able to do on the defensive end. If that was the case then Patterson would be starting over Scola as well. Its all about offense with Adelman, and it kills me watching this team that has had the reputation for being a hard working, and defensive team over the past couple decades.