1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That "one guy" got a large percentage of your cap room! :rolleyes:

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Watch how he plays in garbage minutes.

3. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The bright side is that the guys that Rick is actually playing now will eventually get traded/expire, and they'll be room for someone like TWill to play (provided HE doesn't get traded along with them). Hopefully Morey has plans for him on the team that RA doesn't know about yet.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Rockets get rid of Yao Ming's $75 mil contract at the end of the season, $32 million Battier contract, $8 mil Jared Jeffries contract, and $6 mil Chuck Hayes contract.

5. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

They guy picks APART defenses and makes it look casual, and his style is entertaining to watch, cause it's the artful side of bball. I'm kind of glad he's not playing THAT MUCH now, cause then other teams would want him in on any trade.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The thing with RA though is he insists that players run his offensive system. It could be he doesn't trust that TW can play in his system without a substantial amount of practice with the team.

But I see TWill as being even better than CLee eventually. He passes better and looks like he could beat most defenders off the dribble. He moves like Dwade without the shotmaking. So he needs more work on the shooting percentage.

DM needs to move somebody to make room for TWill on the rotation.

We knew JT would sit quietly but do we know how long before TWill starts to show his frustration overtly at the lack of PT?

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You overlook the $100+mil in contracts to quibble over the large percentage of cap room? It's not much compared to the guys that are leaving. You are dropping dollars to pinch pennies.

8. jae713

jae713 Member

I think that at this time RA is simply trying to win games. Unfortunately, with this team he does not have the privilege to find out whether T-Will can play or not. He has to play the guys that he knows can somewhat get the job done just to have a remote chance to win. In simpler terms, RA has to almost pitch a perfect game to have a chance at winning.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

In addition to this, it's not like having a team of ALL young guys is a good thing either for development. Exhibit A, Sacramento. Exhibit B, Washington. You need veterans to show the young guys the way to play in the league.

10. highlander3128

If the guy is good, then just puts him in the game, old man.

You cannot say you cannot play the more talented guy, because he isn't with the team long enough.

What a silly logic.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's called talent. TWill is one of the most talented players on the roster. He may not put it together and become a great player but the only way to find out is to play him.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

He'll play after Feb 24th.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I suspect he will. But Rick reminded me of Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future in that interview.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not a very big RA fan, but I support him 100% on this issue. He sees all these players play everyday in practice, and I think he would play Williams if he thought it would improve our team. Williams has only played 49 minutes as a Rocket, so I don't know how anyone can say he is more talented than players currently in the rotation. He looks very athletic and I'm anxious to see more, but I can wait a little while longer until the time is right.

I wish someone had asked RA what position he is playing Williams in practice. It seems that Williams sees himself as a point guard. Is that the position that RA thinks Williams is going to play?

I think Morey picked up Williams because he can potentially play several different positions, which gives us a lot of options in deciding who to trade and who to re-sign this coming off-season.

Like RA said, we really don't have a place for Williams right now, but that will probably all change before next season.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is really interesting that so many people here, who have seen zero minutes of the Rockets practices and have only seen garbage minutes for Williams, would conclude that he is a better player and deserves more minutes than the guy who are in the current rotation.

1 person likes this.
  16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7340326.html

“We felt like that draft, Terrence had top-10 talent,” Morey said. “We still believe that. We think a fresh start might be exactly what he needs to show what he can do. It’s going to have to be something he shows the coaching staff how he can help us win.”

so we traded for top-10 talent (from that draft) and don't use that talent at all?

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

"unless we are struggling or someone is not playing well"

you are really blind aren't you rick?

smdh

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I thought it was understandable when Budinger was playing like how he was at the beginning of the season, yet all T-Will has done so far is throw a couple nice passes and people immeaditely assume that he will be a starter or something ( And I'll personally suspect the fact that he has a very nice 2K rating doesn't hurt either). He could be. But if a HoF coach thinks he isn't, then I think I'll let him be the final judge.

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Every player ahead of Twill is playing well so why would RA give him playing time? These are the same people that complain about RA taking out players who are "hot" in games in the 4th and yet they want to bench players who are playing well. Just be patient, the trade deadline is coming and things will change (for better or for worse).

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree somewhat and said this also awhile back and recently. Really, they dont have too many wings,they have too many sg's. Martin,chase,lee,williams are all sg's. Chase is a tweener, but he's more sg than sf to me. Thats why the only way adelman would play a guy like thabeet,hill and patterson would be if scola,hayes,and miller were gone.The only way he would play a guy like randolph would be if battier,scola,hayes,and miller were gone. Thats why in sacramento, wallace only played when christie was on his deathbed and peja had the severe broken feet othering him. He showed flashes, but as soon as those guys came back, wallace was back to not playing.