1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richest getting even richer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Jun 6, 2005.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What economic interests? Guns, Gays, and God trump all.

2. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Sounds like you're the one trying to sound superior by passing judgement on a group of people based on your association with some of them (i.e. stereotyping). You said it again "the large percentage in this city...are not great people". So you've dealt with ALL of them? Maybe they are simply not great to YOU.

Because those guys are rich they are bad people but because you are not rich you are a good person. Right. :rolleyes:

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What do you mean it didn't work when Reagan tried it? Our economy rebounded in the '80s. Cltinton cut the capital gains tax and raised income taxes only slightly and the economy was even stronger in the '90s.

If you have 8 million, you will at least put it in the bank and the bank will lend it out. America needs more savings anyways.

As far as the hardest working people being poor, can you source that?

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good lord. You do realize that, since it is such a small percentage of the Houston population, I am talking about 15 or so people, right? And, no, I am not just talking about my dealings with them, but additionally how I have seen them with others and stories I have heard from people I respect, etc..

Again, I did not say they are bead because they are rich...just that a lifetime of overprivelege and never having to work seem to have been bad combinations for these people and their "people skills". Keep in mind also that many of these people actively cultivate and are proud of their "bad person" public personae.

I certainly never said I was a good person, either. Oh well.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean during the 80's writing hot checks to make everything seem great ended up growing govt. spending in the long run because of the interest on the debt. I won't blame the huge unemployment early in his presidency entirely on him either, but the trickle down economics theory wasn't good for the poor in this country at all.

Reagan wasn't as bad as Bush, because REagan at least raised some taxes, and gave the appearence of not wanting things to get unrealistically out of hand with debt and deficit spending.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

what the hell are you talking about?!?

you have yet to mention anything regarding the topic of this thread.

7. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I find this whole debate very troubling. My experience with third world countries tells me that vast income disparities aren't very good for society in the long term. What to do about it makes me more uncertain. In general I believe in free trade and the capitalistic system even though it does produce inequities.

One thing I'm all for is the estate tax because I think people deserve to get rich through their own efforts but I'm not sure about handing down wealth unfettered and creating a permanent aristocratic moneyed class.