1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 23, 2012.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I tell myself don't reply. Stay out of this thread. You've let your opinion be known in enough threads already. (I'm talking to myself).

Yet here I am replying, wanting to discuss, but know it is all pointless. Here's hoping I quit clicking on these threads. :eek:

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

interesting, that's pretty much what finals said, and why i started the thread but really shoulda broadened the topic more because i really would like more women in this forum. maybe i should be in another forum. congrats on your swinging lifestyle, i assume your kids are good with it.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

These politicians talk way too much about god in everything. Despite their being a seperation of church and state they have to stick their little dick into every issue and ejaculate about god. What are they ****ing ministers?

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Honestly, if you've got lady parts in Indiana, you don't really have much of a choice this year. The Democrat in the race, Joe Donnelly, is also a staunch opponent of abortion rights, voting in lock step with everyone's favorite member of the Science, Space and Technology committee, Todd Akin. Donnelly voted to strip Planned Parenthood of funding, signed off on the "forcible rape" language, and also voted to allow hospitals to refuse to perform or even refer women to have emergency, medically necessary life-saving abortions.

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/gov...ecord-on-choice/2011/state-page.html?state=IN

Just one more reason why we need to have federally mandated birth control...

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If you are a woman, I don't understand how you could even remotely consider voting for Romeny/Ryan?

I'm a man, and I'm disgusted with the way in which they perceive women to be too incompetent to make decisions related to THEIR bodies.

Let's let an old man decide instead. :rolleyes: Trifling @$$ logic.

#85 Codman, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted this in another thread but even if you believe that life begins at conception a ban on abortion in cases of rape might not reduce abortions in that case and might lead to more problems.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7241856&postcount=146

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

A new ad from the Obama camp this morning

"… Mourdock’s attitude is part and parcel of the extremism Mitt Romney has repeatedly embraced. Whether it is Richard Mourdock, Todd Akin, or his running mate Paul Ryan, Romney’s solution to extremism against women is to promote the extremists,"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/omCvqq_U-kY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. MADE

MADE Member

Isn't it God's will for death as well as life?

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Jon Huntsman Slams Romney For Not Withdrawing Mourdock Endorsement

"[If I were Romney] I simply would have said I'm withdrawing my support," "Until [Mourdock] proves otherwise, either you lay out an apology, do something else, but as of right now I would withdraw support."

Asked by The Huffington Post's Howard Fineman if he would have had the ad taken off air, Huntsman responded, "I would do exactly that."

"I'm here to tell you that there are some independents and swing voters in the middle that I think would respect a candidate who goes against the grain," "They're looking for leadership during a time that these kinds of statements are made, as opposed to just the go-with-the-flow kinds of statements we always hear."

Huntsman condemned Mourdock's comments, saying they "don't deserve to be part of our political discourse right now."

"I cringe -- it's like fingers on a chalkboard every time I hear men talk about women's health issues,"

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, God's plan. That never gets old. :grin:

11. ashiin

ashiin Member

Do you also feel the same about athletes who do the same? I mean when we talk about milestone achievements you always hear athletes saying "God blessed me this, because of God I etcetc."

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still find it troubling that Jon Huntsmen got nowhere in the Republican primaries and that Romney had to pull a Jekyll and Hyde to win (it looks like he is trying to revert back to Dr. Jekyll now)

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

CONSIDER THE OPPOSING VIEW...:

Why Liberals are Misreading Mourdock (Amy Sullivan, October 25, 2012, New Republic)

Let's get one thing straight from the start. I am not defending Richard Mourdock's position on abortion, including his opposition to a rape exception. So take that twitchy finger off the "send" button. However, I do want to examine some of the outrage surrounding the latest comments of a Republican politician regarding abortion and rape. [...]

f Mourdock believes that God creates all life and that to end a life created by God is murder, then all abortion is murder, regardless of the circumstances in which a pregnancy came about.

Take a look again at Mourdock's words: "I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And...even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen." The key word here is "it." I think it's pretty clear that Mourdock is referring to a life that is conceived by a rape. He is not arguing that rape is the something that God intended to happen.

This is a fairly common theological belief, the understanding of God as an active, interventionist. It's also not limited to conservative Christians. There are liberal Christians who also argue that things work out the way they're supposed to. Some of them are in my own family, and I think they're wrong. But it is one way of grappling with the problem of theodicy, trying to understand why God would allow bad things to happen.

...that God hates the child so much He's okay with us killing it.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

God loves the child and hates the rape victim because America mourdock 2012.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Liberals have a really uncanny way of twisting words. They are truly pros in that regard. How anyone could think that he was condoning rape is beyond me. If a person thinks life begins at conception as pro lifers do(including me), then even a child conceived by something as horrendous as rape is still a child and should not be killed. That is what they believe. It is not condoning rape in any way what so ever. It is all about protecting unborn children.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a child conceived by rape was part of God's plan, then how was the rape not part of the plan. Is God saying the women should have slept with someone and gotten pregnant on her own and because she didn't the only way to impregnate her was through a rape?

I understand that later Mourdock claimed he didn't mean the rape was part of God's plan, but how is the baby from a rape part of the plan, and the rape not part of the plan? It would seem to go against the very definition of the word plan.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The baby was created as a consequence of the rape. That doesn't mean that both most have been part of the same plan. God could have "planned" for the rapist to meet a gruesome death shortly after his crime because of the evil choice he made (one as a consequence of the other) -- does that mean the rape must have been planned as well?

The question one should ask isn't why God would plan the rape -- that's not necessarily the case -- but rather why God would plan to have a baby created from the rape and needlessly distress and remind the mother of what happened to her. That seems like a particularly callous act on God's part, if you ask me.