1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a point worth making. That's a high number, but not impossible using those parameters.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So now a pregnancy is a “gift from God, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape” is the official stance of the NRSC.

National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC)Chair Sen. John Cornyn (TX), the Republican tasked with overseeing the GOP’s Senate elections strategy, immediately defended Mourdock in a statement on Wednesday morning:

“Richard and I, along with millions of Americans – including even Joe Donnelly – believe that life is a gift from God. To try and construe his words as anything other than a restatement of that belief is irresponsible and ridiculous.”

Mr Romney what say you?

3. stephenoa

stephenoa Member

Where i start wavering on abortion issues is defining at what point life has begun. That is tough for me to wrap my head around. I just have no clue how most people feel about when life begins, people can be all over the place with this. Im not gonna get into that. Other than that is something that we should decide collectively, and shouldnt neccesarily be science's responsibilty to define but the public's at large.

With that said, the circumstances of conception should have no bearing on the situation. Im sure where I stand on that. All life is created equal, it shouldnt be legal to kill a living person. Rape, artificial insemination, two f buddies oopsies, two 50 year old oopsies, sex with goal of natural pregancy etc etc. None of that should matter, a person is a person no matter where they came from.
    I see no inherent problem with a person trying to explain that in the terms of their faith. under the surface of the god's will crap this is all hes really saying that god alone creates life, unfortunate circumstance or not.

Thats not an endorsement for rape, in fact it is frustrating to hear people comment on this and not make a point to mention the penalty for rape should be harsher.

This all brings into perspective the fact that when rape happens peoples lives are at stake. Rape can absolutely ruin a womans life pregnancy or not. It should be an offense exactly on par with murder because it effectively accomplishes the same thing, it ends a life or at least a womans right to a normal one. In the same breath, the penalty for falsely accusing of rape should be equal. Rape is an incredibly serious matter, the penalties surrounding it should be mortally severe. It is a violation of the most basic right, the right to life.

As it relates rape resulting in pregnancy is its a violation of two lives, on par with two murders all of this IMO of course.

Self defense is the only excuse for termination of another life, self defense will never ever be a plausible explination for a rapist. This statement should also make it clear where i stand on abortion in pregnancies where the mothers life is at risk.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know about Romney, but this **** makes me grind my teeth.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Oh it does but you can take solace in the fact that this might giftwrap Joe Donnelly that Senate seat.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I certainly hope so. We'll see.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

are you a woman? have you ever been penetrated while screaming and crying, begging for an end? have you dealt with the aftermath of hatred and psychological torment that literally ruins lives, all because of one malicious act?

it seems as though the country is going backwards on this. i have never seen so many people thinking that women should be forced or even urged to endure a rape pregnancy. or does this just happen every year around election season?

**** that. **** rapists and **** the "god intended" spawn republicans think should be carried to term.

i wish i could be blocked from reading these threads. losing hope once again.

1 person likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't lose hope, finals. This madness will pass.

1 person likes this.
  9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Maybe God intended people to control when they get pregnant.

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Show me where anyone is saying rape is cool? No one is saying that. But it's certainly possible to believe that the baby shouldn't receive the ultimate punishment for the fact that he was created out of a rape.

11. rtsy

rtsy Member

Have you ever been a child killed by Obama's drone bombs?

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Donnelly has been within the margin of error of every poll (including leading in some of them) and Donnelly was up in his own internal poll from yesterday.

This could easily put Donnelly over the top.

13. mc mark

As of 2PM this afternoon

Mentions of Richard Mourdock's rape comments by network:

CNN (22)
    MSNBC (15)
    FOX (ZERO)

14. stephenoa

stephenoa Member

What if their were programs put in place, to compensate women for carry these babies to term. I realize that is an offensive thing to suggest on the surface, but if we are expecting women who dont want their child and had no willful part in its conception, to be responsible for carrying said child to birth; then maybe there is something that can be done to offset this??

I realize that's probably unlikely, but I would like to get your perspective, on this.

In my opinion a woman who could show the strength to get through such a thing, would be a hero. Is it possible that their is some type of recognition or compensation, that would make this even just a little less horrendous for a woman to go through?

I am not suggesting anything specific, because i have no clue what if anything would be worth more than a slap in the face, but protecting these lives is something many people are compelled to do out of nothing other than love. The price for this love and this life, in this scenario, is a woman's unjust suffering. Is there anything that can balance that scale??

15. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Fair and Balanced

16. mc mark

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Well it's his fault for going out dressed like that.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Absolutely it should be. Unfortunately rape can be hard to prove. It isn't hard to prove sex occured, but proving it wasn't consensual is a real challenge.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good stuff

#79 Baqui99, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

He comes off as so nonchalant about the ordeal the woman just went thru, probably what gets me the most. I understand and believe that life begins at conception, but have absolutely zero problem with abortion in cases such as this. I also don't have a problem with the idea Stephenoa mentioned that should a woman decide to keep the child thru to term she be commended/compensated or whatever a law would be put in place to do. But she should definately be able to choose. She didn't choose to be viciously attacked.