1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 23, 2012.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

you're saying that's god's will?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm with you durvasa. From the perspective of believing God has a hand in such things and that these lives are miracles, I understand it. It was a stupid thing for him to say, but I understand it.

About the only appropriate time to say that would be if you were a rape victim, who did get pregnant, and considered that baby a miracle from God.

3. rtsy

rtsy Member

Well there is far more outrage about Mourdock talking about rape than Obama actually killing children, so it must be.

4. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Mourdock is talking about a woman who's just been raped getting emergency contraception within hours of it taking place. That is totally f**cked.

5. thegary

we are at war. people will die. it is tragic when the innocent suffer the consequences of military volleys. are you anti drones?

6. rtsy

rtsy Member

7. thegary

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So if Obama killed children... Did he kill Osama bin Laden?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice play. Check mate.

10. rtsy

rtsy Member

Sure - but how many more has he created?

11. fchowd0311

The question is how many more had Bush created. Obama didn't invade a country which resulted in millions of civilian deaths.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

hahaha.

So Richard Mourdock (who is as crazy as Todd Akin) has more less been locked in a closet by his staff. He hasn't given interviews since his primary win (in which he proudly proclaimed bipartisanship as wrong and unnecessary)

And finally he opens his mouth and sure enough he pulls an Akin.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, Obama didn't do that, but as much as I dislike the "job" George Bush did as President, he didn't invade a country that resulted in millions of deaths, either. Hundreds of thousands, yes. Millions? Not hardly. Of course, we're talking about a matter of degree, but it isn't necessary to be dishonest to make a point. Hitler invaded countries and caused millions of deaths. Mao and Stalin killed millions of their own people. Bush was bush league compared to them.

#53 Deckard, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. fchowd0311

Ya but I didn't compare Bush to any of them and obviously Bush never intended to cause so many civilian deaths. Just saying Bush has more civilian deaths on his watch than Obama.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think it depends on whether you're looking at deaths due to violence (in the hundreds of thousands) or overall excess deaths due to the war and its various effects on Iraqi institutions (including utilities, health-care, food access, etc.). Some studies that have tried to estimate the latter have put it at approaching or perhaps exceeding 1 million excess deaths.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That might be a couple thousand dollars in current USD. Not a terrible deal.

Really? Either way Obama supporters are supporting a mass murderer.

Or am I misunderstanding??

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have but one word to say on this story:

BENGHAZI!

18. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I think what Durvasa has said is really interesting (and lost on some people, I think). I believe that God does not restrain free will, even though human beings will do some sick **** with it. And I believe that God is aware of everything and knows everything, so in this hypothetical example I believe that God knows if and when a person will use that agency to rape someone. I believe GOD's will, in this instance, steps in when He decides whether or not it will result in a pregnancy.

None of this in the LEAST should be interpreted as God being okay with a rape (or society being okay with it, either). God is clearly okay with exercise of free will, whether we like it or not. Mourdock's comment is certainly an odd one (and not well-phrased, either), but I think the message behind it is that the life created is no less sacred or pure, no matter what the conditions are that led to its conception.

Now, whether we want to then pass judgment on a woman's right to abort that fetus or whatever, I'm not going to get into that because I believe that it is a complex issue with lots of variables...but the idea that God can be okay with a life being created as a result of a rape is not outlandish to me. It happens.

19. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

"Since the result of an evil act is the intention of God, then man shouldn't intervene."

That is Moudock's argument. Logically extended, attempted murder is an evil act but God must have intended the result since he allowed it to occur and therefore we should not extend medical aid to the injured person.

Also being anti-abortion is not pro life because if thats the case those same people should be advocating to get rid of the death penalty

20. rtsy

rtsy Member

Nice post. Maybe change the last part to:

"but the idea that God can be okay with the life being that was created as a result of a rape is not outlandish to me. It happens."