1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 23, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm saying its my understanding that Christians believe all life is precious, and no life is intrinsically less valuable than another. The topic of whether a fetus qualifies as a living being with moral rights is a separate matter. The only thing I'll to say on that is that one's opinion on it shouldn't depend on whether the fetus was conceived through a rape versus consensual sex.

#21 durvasa, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You're way off durvasa. It's much more reasonable to assume Mourdock believes God wants women to be raped.

1 person likes this.
  3. David Stern

David Stern Member

Agreed on bolded text. I'm pro-choice

4. David Stern

David Stern Member

Hmmmm. We really can't move forward with this discussion any further because now you're qualifying "God's will"

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Perhaps I'm out of my depth on this topic (not a Christian). I'm just trying to understand this issue from what I believe is a Christian perspective. Most Christians believe in the idea of a "divine plan" and "all-knowing" God, but at the same time believe in man's free will. Somehow, these seemingly conflicting notions need to be reconciled, right?

Conception cannot be willed by man, but rape certainly can. So, why not put the responsibility for the rape on the rapist who committed the act, while the responsibility for the conception itself would go to God. I don't see what's contradictory about that.

6. David Stern

David Stern Member

I'm not a practicing Christian either. I just have a hard time having theological discussions with those who try to ascertain god's way. I'm not criticizing you in any way. I'm just of a skeptical nature.

7. David Stern

David Stern Member

I got an infraction for this comment? Who here amongst us doesn't believe the poster I responded is a..... Forget it.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I feel like this forum has officially morphed into Bizarro World, where men discuss rape and its affect on women from a remove. From a perch in a tree. As if the woman raped by some unspeakable monster should carry to term the spawn of a gross criminal act, while men sit around in easy chairs chatting about how righteous that would be, and how perfectly logical it is that men should govern a woman's body, laying down the rules, maintaining control, telling her just what is going to be allowed, and what will not. Apparently because men simply know what's best for a woman, don't they.

2 people like this.
  9. David Stern

David Stern Member

No bro their legislating God's will

10. Nook

Nook Member

"Well Tammy, I am sorry you were brutally raped by your uncle, but you are pregnant and abortion is just not an option. I know you don't want the incest off spring growing in your body for 9 months... But maybe the child will not be dull as a result of incest, and maybe your baby won't look like your rapist. Above all Tammy, remember it was God's will for you to be raped."

Yeah.. Screw off Commadore.

2 people like this.
  11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Did Mourdock not learn a thing from Akin's rape comments? How is the GOP supposed to win the Senate, when the candidates keep sticking their foot in their mouth?

The Libs are going to win the Senate, again. :(

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rape? God's plan.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Let this be a reminder; it's not just Willard, it's all the freaks that come with him if he's elected.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sounds like this guy has a bright future on some sort of science committee.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, not really. Everyone will die. They are born, they have to die. Not everyone has to be raped. So the two aren't really the same at all.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm talking about accidental/premature deaths. You will often hear the preacher say "The Lord works in mysterious ways, we can't understand why he would permit this tragedy." Believing everything happens for a reason is not an uncommon view (I don't share it).

Your righteous outrage is noted.

I think a rape exception is reasonable, but people that want to protect life in all cases are not monsters that condone rape.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But sick ****s who tell people it was ordained by god are not much better.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why is it those same people are the ones that defend the death penalty just as strongly as they are anti-abortion?

1 person likes this.
  19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

free access to contraception.
    take care of living americans.
    then we'll talk.

pro-choice, though, is the only logical position. if you are a true christian and get raped, don't abort, celebrate your fetus as a gift from god. if you don't believe in god, or don't oppose abortion, do what you feel is best. who are we to dictate?

20. rtsy

rtsy Member

God at work is Obama drone bombing children.