1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Justice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by caphorns, Aug 16, 2004.

?

The Chronicle should

1. Fire Justice

73 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. Keep Justice (He's a winner)

35 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Do whatever they want (I don't care)

52 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. caphorns

caphorns Member

I want to see how many of you would be down with telling the Chronicle to rid this town of Richard Justice. He's made himself a public figure. I think he's a cancer to our local teams. He often calls on other players to be fired or let go, why not him?

2. mulletman

mulletman Member

^Fran only Fan (FoF)

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bring back Eddie Sefko!

4. caphorns

caphorns Member

What happened to Sefko?

5. caphorns

caphorns Member

Answering my own question - apparently he took a job with DMN :mad:

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Man, this I do not understand.

Justice is a little blunt, but in my mind, that makes him better than the average columnist in this town. My problem with the local media is that they usually suck up to the team and the players because they know that their jobs depend on their access to the people they're covering - in short, you don't play nice, you get no quotes, no inside info, nothing. But here you have a writer with a little backbone who's willing to speak his mind, and all you do is criticize him for it.

Hey, you may not like Richard Justice and that's fine, but when you say he's a cancer on our teams, you lose all credibility. Whether the teams succeed or not, I guarantee you it has nothing to do with a sports columnist - he's just not that important.

Caphorn, I guess you must be a big fan of Channel 13's coverage of the Texans and all the sack-lapping that goes on there.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like Justice but sometimes he whines/complains a bit much. It's great to call it as it is (i.e. with the 'stros) but to nitpick about everything is a bit much.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I rarely see the columnists in this town do much beyond but paint gray clouds each day. It's like they feel obligated to be wet blankets at all costs. I rarely bother to read them anymore.

Evan

9. g1184

g1184 Member

If Richard Justice has the right to his opinion of the firing of random people, then it only makes sense that random people should have their right to their opinion of the firing of Richard Justice.

10. caphorns

caphorns Member

I can guaranty that the attitude of a team's fanbase effects alot, and from many fans that attitude is born from the type of information they are given.

As a player, how do you think it feels when as your moving into town, haven't played an ounce of ball for your new team, and some moron has a front page sports article drudging crap out from your past (when you were all of 20 YO or something). Fans are ready to boo your ass at the drop of a hat because a dork like this is given credibility by his position with the Houston Chronicle. Not exactly a fresh start.

I might have been OK with some of this in and around the time of the trade. But today. What in hell was it doing in my paper now?

11. Furious Jam

See, this is why you have no credibility.
    Do you really think T-Mac reads Richard Justice? And if he did, do you really think it affects him one way or the other? As a public figure, I'm sure he's used to far worse and has learned to deal with it appropriately.
    And do you really think that fans will boo T-Mac "at the drop of a hat" because of something Richard Justice wrote? These statements of yours just aren't credible.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm actually cancelling the Chronicle....too comic book-y now.

13. caphorns

caphorns Member

Enough with the credibility deal - nobody on the Internet has a great deal of it if you haven't noticed. Taking a shot at T-Mac is not warranted right now. He's not demanding money. He's doing everything humanly possible to assure us he's on board with JVG and the Rockets and wants to win a championship. I beat he hears about this kind of crap from Justice. Athletes are probably more vain than they are anything else.

I'm not saying never take a shot at someone. When it's deserved that's your job. But the unwarranted need to stir up crap. I don't advocate violence, but somebody needs to pull a Dan Pastorini on this guy!!

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

first they should fire justice then they should fire whoever let him write about basketball. i swear his articles seem like they're written by a guy who just got out of his first day of class in NBA 101. oh, so these are the big stories in the nba, and these are some good cliches, and these are some broad generalizations i can write about, ooooh and there are some common misconceptions that i can slide through with no substantiation. sweet.

15. Furious Jam

I disagree. I have credibility and value it to a great degree. There are also many other members of this board who present credible points of view - you, however, are not one of them. Saying that T-Mac will get upset about Justice's column is the equivalent of running around screaming "The sky is falling!" after a tiny acorn has dropped on your head.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

exactly. the dude is working out right now and you're going to take a shot at him?

I'll just excuse Justice because it's probably that time of the month for him again.

17. caphorns

caphorns Member

Your real credible by the way Furious Jam. I don't know why everyone doesn't just agree with you? :rolleyes:

Remember Dan Pastorini, Jim Everett, Lance Armstrong? They were all affected by negative press. It may not have filtered into their play (or in some cases had a positive effect) but there is no doubt that athletes read this stuff and get pissed about it.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Justice is good...one of the better anywhere.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've only read Justice's articles on basketball because it's the only sport I have any interest in. He has no business writing articles about basketball. He knows next to nothing about it.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously (as hard as it is to be serious posting in a column about Justice), why in the hell is the Chronicle's coverage so piss-poor regarding the Rockets? They have won the only 2 major championships in Houston history (not counting the Oilers winning the first 2 AFL championships, which I count and which most people don't. ;) ), have a long and storied history in Houston... coming here from San Diego less than 10 years after the Astros made their debut, and a hell of a lot longer than the Texans, and yet they get dribs and drabs, here and there, during the season and during the offseason.

It ticks me off that hacks like Justice can even get a sniff at a Rockets column. Feigen does a fine job, and Megan Manfull is a nice addition, but the overall coverage smells as bad as the Ship Channel.