1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Rich Kid Defense Works" Teen Gets Probation for DUI Wreck that Killed 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tim562, Dec 12, 2013.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html?sr=fb121213dwicrash930a

Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for driving drunk, killing 4

(CNN) -- To the families of the victims, Ethan Couch was a killer on the road, a drunken teenage driver who caused a crash that left four people dead.

To the defense, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affluenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

To a judge, who sentenced Couch to 10 years' probation but no jail time, he's a defendant in need of treatment.

The decision disappointed prosecutors and stunned victims' family members, who say they feel that Couch got off too easy. Prosecutors had asked for the maximum of 20 years behind bars.

"Let's face it. ... There needs to be some justice here," Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Wednesday night.

"For 25 weeks, I've been going through a healing process. And so when the verdict came out, I mean, my immediate reaction is -- I'm back to week 1. We have accomplished nothing here. My healing process is out the window," he said.

Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.

According to CNN affiliate WFAA, a psychologist called by the defense described Couch as a product of "affluenza."

He reportedly testified that the teen's family felt wealth bought privilege, and that Couch's life could be turned around with one to two years of treatment and no contact with his parents.

Couch was sentenced by a juvenile court judge Tuesday. If he violates the terms of his probation, he could face up to 10 years of incarceration, according to a statement from the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney's Office.

Judge Jean Boyd told the court she would not release Couch to his parents, but would work to find the teen a long-term treatment facility.

"There are absolutely no consequences for what occurred that day," said Boyles. "The primary message has to absolutely be that money and privilege can't buy justice in this country."

His wife, Hollie Boyles, and daughter, Shelby, left their home to help Breanna Mitchell, whose SUV had broken down. Brian Jennings, a youth pastor, was driving past and also stopped to help.

All four were killed when the teen's pickup plowed into the pedestrians. Couch's vehicle also struck a parked car, which then slid into another vehicle driving in the opposite direction.

Two people riding in the bed of the teen's pickup were tossed in the crash and severely injured.

One is no longer able to move or talk because of a brain injury, while the other suffered internal injuries and broken bones.

"There is nothing the judge could have done to lessen the suffering for any of those families," said defense attorney Scott Brown, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that is going to keep Ethan under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he said. "And if Ethan doesn't do what he's supposed to do, if he has one misstep at all, then this judge, or an adult judge when he's transferred, can then incarcerate him."

Earlier on the night of the accident, June 15, Couch and some friends had stolen beer from a local Walmart. Three hours after the crash, tests showed he had a blood alcohol content of 0.24, three times the legal limit, according to the district attorney's office.

"We are disappointed by the punishment assessed but have no power under the law to change or overturn it," said Assistant District Attorney Richard Alpert. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and we regret that this outcome has added to the pain and suffering they have endured."

It is very rare, but not impossible, for prosecutors to challenge the sentence on the ground that it was too lenient, CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin said.

"To give him a pass this time given the egregious nature of his conduct -- four deaths -- is just incomprehensible," she said.

It is unfair that other young defendants without the same wealth could end up in jail for a lot less, said Hostin, of CNN's "New Day" morning show.

"I think in terms of policy, this really flies in the face of our criminal justice system," she said. "There have to be consequences to actions, and that is what our system is about, even for juveniles."

CNN's Monte Plott and Vivian Kuo contributed to this report.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ridiculous. :-(-

Whoops... just saw that there's a thread addressing this in Hangout!

(argh! why do I always do that with ridiculous?? damn you, texxx!!!!)

#2 Deckard, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

did they teach spelling in your one room schoolhouse back in times of yesteryear?

;)

1 person likes this.
  4. smr6

smr6 Member

So the ruling is basically saying it is the parent's fault. So then the parents should be prosecuted.

I know it doens't work that way, but the fact is 4 people died. Someone needs to be CORRECTLY prosecuted for this. If the court ruled the kid's actions were the parent's fault, then they should be held liable.

Unfortunately we know nothing will happen to them and the kid will serve out his 10 year probation and be done with it.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Sensationalist bull. The kid was 16, and was tried in juvie. That's the reason, not the reason that this media gives.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

And he was tried in juvie because the district attorney decided to. Why do you think they decided to?

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The driver was 16 years old, he was thus tried at a juvie court and received this sentence. My perspective is that's the reason for the nature of this sentence, but the media wants to jump onto a "**** the rich" thing, so they can get their headlines.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because he wasn't an adult and it was manslaughter not premeditated murder?

11. Major

Major Member

Or it might because that was the argument used by the defense team. It's not like the media just made up the "rich kid" thing. The defense team is the one that claimed "affluenza".

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If we consistently tried 16 year olds as 16 year olds, I'd agree with you. But we've gotten into this habit of trying kids as adults and giving them huge sentences. Consequently, it should not be shocking that people are mad that this kid (who killed 4 people and had a long history of doing dumb and dangerous things) was not tried as an adult.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Perhaps. But there's no evidence that the defense's argument actually played any role in the judge's decision. For all we know, the judge could have viewed the defense's argument as idiotic, but still gave the kid this sentence. Not to mention that it's not necessarily a light sentence, since that article states that the kid will be sent to a long-term rehabiliation facility as opposed to just going back to his stupid parents - and isn't that what people want more of these days, anyways?

Those incidents where kids are tried as adults are when they are 18 during the trial, which does not apply to this kid.

14. geeimsobored

I think it depends on the state but kids have definitely been in a trial before they were 18. You can get judicial waivers to transfer a child from juvenile court to a criminal court.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is absolutely wrong. In Texas kids as young as 15 can be tried as adults. It's up to the DA and the judge.

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

In all seriousness though, **** the rich.

Affluenza.

I almost threw up when I read that ****.

17. geeimsobored

If you broke it down by race and income, I'm sure you can find trends for who gets tried as an adult versus who is tried as a child.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There's no question that money gets you a better legal team, have we learned nothing from celebrities? Not sure why people would think a rich kid would be any different, regardless of the color of their skin.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Off topic but there was another school shooting today smh

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt.