1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice for Amaechi + Jim Jackson via FA = SOLID!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SwingMan, Oct 1, 2003.

1. SwingMan

SwingMan Member

Yes, I've extended my Rockets hatred as a Suns fan, but I still know a solid exchange when I see one:

You've cleared a HEAP of cap room (at least $5 million) while picking up a solid swingman to add depth at the 3 (Pike is a straight 2) in Jim Jackson (who, even at only 6' 6", definitely has the muscule to survive & is a solid slasher). If we had the room at the swing position (My Suns already have at the 2 spot alone in Penny Hardaway, Joe Johnson, Casey Jacobsen, with Shawn Marion & an extremely impressive 7' 0" SF in Zarko Cabarkapa to back The Matrix up), I'd definitely take Jimmy Jackson to solidify my need for a STRONG slasher.

Now, if you could get yourselves a legit banger at the 4 (I've been watching Maurice Taylor since he began playing for the Clippers as their #14 overall pick in 1997 - The kid is SOFT) to couple with Eddie Griffin as a Cliff Robinson-like SF (Seattle's Reggie Evans is a great 6'9", 255 gamer) and Yao's Olajuwon-like low post finesse moves, you guys could be looking at one of the greatest front lines since the mid-1980's Bird-McHale-Parish classic lines.

Yes, I am a Rockets (AND a Lakers) hater (being a Lakers hater is pretty much a pre-requisite to being a Suns fan. :eek:) ), but my props to you & your organization in recognizing that a serious change in the game plan needed to be made. I totally respect Rudy T for what he's accomplished in Houston, but the Rockets definitely needed a new approach.

And yes: The offense, IMhumbleO, needs to run a LOT more through Yao. The kid definitely has the playmaking & passing instincts to benefit his teammates. I just hope that Francis can curve is ego just so much to where they both can benefit the team, a la Magic & Kareem. - THAT'S how beautiful it can be with the proper temperance.

Les Alexander is a solid head man (despite Cato); You're still up-and coming. :)

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

i opened this thread thinking i'd be frustrated that the content wasn't placed in the other threads related to this topic, i have changed my mind.

great thread. right now i like anybody who acknowledges this could be a great move and at worst is just a decent move. but for it to come from a Suns fan is a huge boost to me right now. thanks. :D

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

What did you think of dumping Tsakilidas and Outlaw for an expiring contract?

Some suns fans have been pimping Tsak on the board but now they'll probly change their stories.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

5. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Smartest. Sun Fan. Ever. Way to start off your posting.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Your uniforms still suck, though. :)

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Damn, was that really a Suns fan? I have doubts because he said he is a Rockets hater and then he said he "hopes" things will go through Yao etc...all these reasonable and respectful things.

Kind of makes it harder to hate the Suns! :)

8. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

And we are going to kick you a$$ November 14th ! :)

9. SwingMan

SwingMan Member

Yes, I am a Phoenix Suns fan - for over 23 years, in fact, going back to Dennis Johnson & Larry Nance (1980-1981).

And yes, I am an admitted Suns homer, but like I said earlier, I know a good deal when I see one.....

.....and whoever spoke of the Tsakalidis/Bo Outlaw for Brevin Knight/Archibald/Treybanski swap w/the Grizzlies? From a Suns fan, IT SUCKS BIG ASS!!!!!

We sacrificed size & solid chemistry for nothing but $$$. I kid you not, 95% of us at phxsuns.net are PRAYING that another deal is in the works (with Brevin Knight's expiring deal, as well as Tom Gugliotta's $11.7 million expiring deal).

I mean, Jake Voskhul is one hell of a back-up 5 (a la Scot Pollard for the Kings), but he's not starter material, yet he's our best & bulkiest 5 at this point.

That said, my view on Tuesday's Suns/Grizz trade?

AAAAAAAAAARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, you guys feel like a Cato + cap fodder for Googs trade? :)

BTW, you still need to get a true 4 - EG can be a supreme version of Cliff Robinson if he has a good bruiser beside him.

Also, IMO, you need to give Mobley the gate ASAP. Let him go to NJ & wreck Kidd's prima-donna image - Hell, you guys know what kind of a p**sy he was in Phoenix, right?

10. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I like the trade too- it makes sense from a financial standpoint and I think we'll reap the true benefits in the future

11. SwingMan

SwingMan Member

A-Train, you ain't yet seen our solid ORANGE unis (alternate road garbs) yet, just in time for Halloween: Solid orange front & back with silver on the sides & "PHX" instead of "Phoenix" on our regular purple road unis. They're definitely FRESH!!!

12. SwingMan

SwingMan Member

Hell SJC, Not all of us Phoenix Suns fans are Rockets enemies just because of Eile's farewell kiss in game 7 of the 1995 WC Semis. :)

Yes, once again, I'm a Suns homer, but I'm not blind, especially when it comes to good basketball, which is what the Rockets will have once Francis realizes that the offense takes two to tango (Cousy/Russell; Cunningham/Chamberlain; Jabbar/Robertson; Magic/Jabbar; Dennis Johnson/Bird; DJ/ McHale & Parish......

Get what I mean, folks? :eek:)

IMO, Yao & Amare = Co-ROY. Because both our Rockets & Suns were in the heat of a playoff race & both of our PG's declined to BOTH of our low post rookies down the stretch in 2003.