1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RGIII knee injury may be bad enough that he misses the 2013 season...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought the punchline was going to be "Romo".

2. likestohypeguy

I'm calling shanahnigans.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's realz.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121477975676614277.html.html?mod=sports&mg=com-wsj

"He nearly died when he was speared by a linebacker while playing quarterback at Eastern Illinois, the only college that offered him a football scholarship. A priest was summoned to read last rites. Shanahan lost a kidney, recovered, petitioned unsuccessfully to rejoin the football team and began his coaching career upon graduation."

4. likestohypeguy

Really I just wanted to say shenahnigans.

So it's lucky for shanahan that his coaches didn't circumvent doctors orders to let him return, even back then when no one cared as much. Too bad RGIII wasn't as lucky. That's the big problem I have. Of course the players will want to play, but when a coach is lying about consulting the doctor for approval & lets him play anyway, the doctor publicly says he never talked to him or even looked at the player, that's got to be getting close to legal liability.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

#26 DonnyMost, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Is there a big difference coming back from a second tear in the same ACL vs the first time?

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I wouldn't even want to take a guess, I'd assume we'll hear plenty of expert opinion after the surgery and during the offseason.

Real shame if his career is shot.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, will go down as the dumbest coaching decision ever in NFL if that happens.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That's a shame...coach left him in too long, of course, but RGIII wanted to play, he's a warrior...If AP can come back from it, RGIII can too

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is a firable offense to me
    This is WORSE thank BountyGate

Rocket River

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

AKA the Adrian Peterson miracle plan?

4-6 months is about half what every expert I've heard has said.

14. TL

TL Contributing Member

Irresponsible? Yes
    Stupid? Absolutely
    Fire-able? Maybe - it's definitely understandable if Snyder wanted to fire him.

Not worse than "bountygate" (assuming any of that was even legit), though. Bountygate was supposed to be a plan to inflict injury on people rather than simply playing hard.

This was a terrible coaching and player management position, but RG3 wanted to play. He's a grown man and he also has to be held accountable for his decisions, too. If Shanahan put him in when RG3 was saying no, that would be different.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wrong, not RG3's job to perform medical assesment

he should have been taken out as soon as he started limping early in the game

same way Cutler was taken out two years ago

16. TL

TL Contributing Member

Is it the head coach's job to perform medical assessments? The dude knew he was hurting. He knew he wasn't performing like he could/should, so he knew something was wrong. The team doc came out before the game and said something to the effect of "I'm scared with him playing on a knee that is still not fully healed". If this doc (who supposedly has a great rep) said that to the media, I assume he said it to the player. RG3 should have had that in the back of his mind and when he screwed it up worse during the game and should have known he was putting himself at risk.

I am NOT saying it is all his fault...but to say that he has NO responsibility for his own well being is ridiculous.

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Good article in the Post today about the different philosophies between the Nats and Redskins (i.e. Strasburg and RG3).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-stephen-strasburg-two-stars-two-teams-opposite-philosophies/2013/01/09/2c81b724-5a7e-11e2-beee-6e38f5215402_story.html

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

His career wont be shot since he's a QB. He probably wont have the same elusiveness, but he still has a hell of an arm to succeed.

19. Major

Major Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8829057/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery

'Full recovery' likely for RG III

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III had his torn lateral collateral ligament repaired and a "redo" of his previous anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday in a statement.

"We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season," Andrews said in the statement.

"The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career," he said.

Griffin's torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair his torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source told ESPN Tuesday that Andrews was likely to use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.

Griffin's recovery is projected at six to eight months, barring any setbacks, sources said.
    The rehabilitation plan will focus primarily on strengthening Griffin's quadriceps to help protect and help stabilize the knee, according to sources. The reconstruction of the LCL is considered a complication, but sources said Andrews informed the Redskins it should rehab well during the same six-to-eight-month time frame as the ACL injury.

Under this projected time frame of surgery, recovery and rehab, Griffin should be able to participate at some level during training camp in August and be ready to open the season in September, according to the sources.

Griffin thanked his fans for their support in a tweet Wednesday morning.

"Thank you for your prayers and support. I love God, my family, my team, the fans, & I love this game. See you guys next season," he wrote.

The NFL Network reported that, after looking at the game file, coach Mike Shanahan believes Griffin suffered his knee injury on the play before the errant snap where his knee gave out as he tried to plant his leg. On that penultimate play, Griffin was sacked by Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin.

The first major injury to the knee came in 2009, when Griffin tore the ACL in the third game of the season while playing for Baylor. Griffin missed the rest of the year but returned in 2010 and won the Heisman Trophy in 2011.

Griffin sprained the LCL last month when he was hit by Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata at the end of a 13-yard scramble. Griffin missed one game and returned to play three more while wearing a bulky knee brace, his mobility clearly hindered.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Griffin led the league in scrambles (43) and scramble yards (411) before his Week 14 injury against the Ravens. However, after the injury, Griffin scrambled only once in his last three games (for 1 yard), including Sunday's playoff loss.

On Sunday, Griffin hurt the knee again as he fell awkwardly while throwing a pass in the first quarter against the Seahawks. He remained in the game, with Shanahan saying he trusted Griffin's word that all was OK.

Griffin finally departed in the fourth quarter, after the knee buckled while he was trying to field a bad shotgun snap.

The No. 2 overall pick in last year's draft, Griffin was one of several rookie quarterbacks to make an instant impact on the NFL this season. He set the league record for best season passer rating by a rookie quarterback and led the Redskins to their first NFC East title in 13 years.

But he also had to leave three games early due to injuries -- two because of his knee and one because of a concussion -- and missed a fourth altogether because of the knee.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Strasburg was perfectly healthy. RGIII was injured. Strasburg had other options to remain under his innings limit. RGIII had to either play or sit.

In the end, both teams lost this season. Both teams appear to have their star back healthy next year.