1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RGIII knee injury may be bad enough that he misses the 2013 season...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 7, 2013.

1. pocketrocket81

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

prayers for health

3. 713

713 Member

That Redskins field is atrocious. I've seen parks in 3rd ward with better.

4. Beavis Stiffler

If Adrian Peterson can come back from his injury, then I think RG3 can do it.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

**** Mike Shanahan.

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Poor RG3, he seems like such a good guy.

As a Texans fan, I wish this was about Andrew Luck. F the Colts. (not really, well)

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's not human physically; RG3 is. If RG3 gets back to his old self, he really has to alter how he plays.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

RG 3 tore his ACL at Baylor :confused:

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

im hearing that its partial tears of the LCL and ACL, so that he wont need any surgery

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sophomore year.

11. sammy

Yes. What I meant is that he has already recovered from an ACL injury and looked like he barely lost a step.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just think RGIII is going to go the way of Vick and fade into oblivion.

People were so high on Vick and his running abilities which added a huge element to the offense knowing he could just take off if he needed to or design plays for him to run. But, now Vick is just a walking concussion.

Now, you have RGIII playing in a college-style offense in the NFL. Defensive players are so gunning for him. They have seen what he did this season. They are going to better prepare their defense to deal with this going forward. I just think that what worked in college is not necessarily going to hold up in the pros because the players are bigger, better, and hit harder.

I think his career may be shortened and defined by injuries. The more he has the ball...the more he is a target...the more he is going to get hit...the more he is going to be injured. I know running is a big part of his game but he seems like a good passer as well. I think WSH is crazy to expose RGIII with all these running plays. It's going to lead to him missing a helluva lot of games imo. Given that, I'm not sure what the original injury play was but he is going to get the living hell knocked out of him going forward if they keep up with these running plays and I don't think he will survive it (not literally) as defenses adapt to it.

Good luck with that, WSH and RGIII. I see a flash in the pan who is going the way of Vick.

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Unlike Vick, RG3 can read defenses

RG3 never gets hurt in the pocket, its when he runs like againist Atlanta, or the Ravens game.

I think RG3 can be a great pocket passer, and on sportsjunkies they are saying that RG3's injury is not as serious as people are making it out to be

14. sammy

The difference being that RG 3 has a rocket for an arm with the precision to match. RG 3 will be fine.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For one, I've seen NFL defenses adjust to gimmick plays in just one year several times. Most recently with the wildcat. Now, what Washington does is a different in that it actually builds off the normal scheme. It's deadlier but I still think defenses will catch on. So there's that.

But more importantly, RGIII doesn't have to be running that stuff to be effective. I actually don't remember him running that much option at Baylor. He has the tools to be successful in several different schemes. He doesn't have to run to be successful, just needs to extend plays.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Vick may have the best arm in the NFL. His accuracy on the other hand...

17. t_mac1

And the same injuries are happening a few years later. He has to alter his way of playing to avoid these kind of injuries. You want this to happen every few years? :confused: And this is the NFL, not the NCAA. It's more violent. And as you age, your healing ways won't be as fast and as good. To stay healthy and available for his team and give his team the best chance of winning, he has to use his arm more, and his legs less.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't think he has to stop running. He just has to run smarter.

Get out of bounds, slide, throw it away more.

Stop trying to be a hero. A dead hero helps no one.

19. t_mac1

It's hard to take change that mentality, look at Vick. And you can see that type of mentality from RG3 NOT wanting to leave despite hobbling. He has a great arm and a great RB to back him up. Maybe he has to throw 30-35 times a game now.

But we won't know the trend of a player years into his career. Let's hope for RG3's full recovery and a great bill of health for the rest of his career.

20. Major

Major Member

Interesting story I saw on FB:

"Once upon a time, there was a player at Eastern Illinois, a Division II school as far from the bright lights and big money of professional football as, well, the surface of Mars. One spring day during a practice scrimmage, the player was speared in the ribs, so hard he could barely breathe. He stayed in the game. Went home. Urinated blood. Began throwing up. He went to the emergency room, where doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong -- because his ruptured kidney had been jammed behind his spine. The player passed out from the pain. His heart stopped. He was revived with a defibrillator. A priest administered last rites. Following kidney removal surgery, his football coach told him he would never play again. He was lucky to be alive. He responded by petitioning the school to be allowed to suit up. The player’s name? Mike Shanahan."

Not sure if that helps explain Shanahan's approach to the game, or if it makes it more ridiculous that he didn't take more precautions with RG3.