1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rex Grossman (did i spell that right?)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jan 7, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Really? I don't really agree or disagree here, just curious where you've heard reports on Grossman's NFL status. On all the main sites, like Mel Kiper's, Grossman isn't listed because he isn't expected to declare.

I really liked Rex at Florida, but the Danny Wuerrfel thing really concerns me. At the college level, he seems to be doing exactly what Wuerrfel did, and is about the same physical size as well. I thought he should've won the Heisman this year, but because of the similarities I'm a little afraid of him in the NFL. Where have any scouts commented on him?

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

thanks, man! no idea why, but...

ehhhhhh... TFY, which is, imho, the best draft site on the 'net, has grossman ranked 46th overall, behind carr, manning and harrington.

and before you dismiss that out of hand, read what they said about grossman way back in thr spring, long before he had even been named the full-time starter: "There may ultimately be a quarterback battle in Gainesville but if they are patient, we feel Rex Grossman has all the tools to be a big time player. Grossman has a nice arm, makes good decisions for the most part and is very, very accurate, one of the more exciting parts of his game. He needs time and experience but with all the talk in college football of the Simms’ and Manning’s, do not forget the name Grossman."

they tabbed him for greatness early, and they have him ranked 46th and fourth among QB's. he may prove better than wuerful, but he's not first overall good. none of the QB's in this draft are.

im(and a lot of others')o

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

interesting...i just got my info from mclain..he was talking about how if grossman were to come out that he thought the texans would consider taking him..and that he was different from other FLA QB's

i respect your opinion because i've read you on houstonprofootball.com and we've talked football here before...it's just clear you know what you're talking about for the most part. take the compliment, smile and move on! :)

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Trading down and picking up an additional first rounder (total 3?) plus another pick or two would not be a bad idea. I definitely would not use the # 1 on a QB. I would use one of the first round picks on Harrington.

If the Texans sign Jason McKinley, would they still draft a QB? I'm sure they will take one in the expansion draft.

Will Bledsoe be in the expansion draft?

5. Hey Now!

jesse palmer, former UF QB and grossman friend, told a florida paper that grossman was wavering and that it wouldn't surprise him if he left.

spurrier has compared grossman to wuerful favorably, but i think he's, at least, thicker than danny was.

and, fwiw, carr should've won the heisman -- his numbers, playing in a conservative offense, were astounding.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He probably will be, but it's extremely unlikely that Houston picks him up. We won't be winning for a two-three years anyway, and there's no reason to pay a QB the kind of money Drew's getting when you have lots of other holes to fill. Bledsoe's contract is enormous.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I second the notion that Harrington will not be around by the time the Texans use their second pick. Once again, I say the Texans pick will be 1) Bryant McKinnie or 2) Julius Peppers.

I have Grossman tentatively scheduled to be in my first football card product of the year... I doubt he'll go pro, though, so I can forsee replacing him.

Ric, what's your ranking for college QBs this year?

(BTW, Jason McKinley?! Ugh.)

8. Major

Major Member

Out of curiousity, does anyone know where all the current starting QB's were drafted? I'd be interested to see if NFL QB scouts actually know what they are talking about, given that the best QB (Warner -- maybe a product of the system, but still extremely good) wasn't even considered NFL-worthy for a while.

9. Hey Now!

10. Hey Now!

not really what you'd call my area of expertise, but... from everything i've read and seen, carr and harrington are the top two, and both will probably go in the first round. after that, kittner's the next-best option (among those we know will be available), and he's probably a third, fourth rounder. after that, the kid from louisville has nfl size and there's rohan davey, who i think is a senior. my buddy jimmy loves rohan.

it's a weak year. next year should be far better. manning could be there, there's still simms (i know, i know...), plus leftwich, possibly grossman, ken dorsey, possibly the kid at tennessee.

11. Hey Now!

well, looking at the playoff QBs...

NFC: warner (STL) and garcia (SF) went undrafted; johnson (TB) was a ninth round choice; favre (GB) was... hmmmm... somewhere between 3rd and 5th. i have no idea about jim miller (CHI), though i'm pretty certain he wasn't a first rounder. mcnabb (PHI) was the 2nd or 3rd pick overall in '99.

AFC: stewart (PIT) was mid-rounds, 3-6-ish; brady (NE) was 4 or 5 (of course, bledsoe was #1 overall), gannon (OAK), i have no idea, testaverde (NYJ) was #1 overall, fiedler (MIA), no idea, but not high and then, depending on who gets in, grbac (BAL) was a mid-rounder and dilfer (SEA) was 5th overall.

there are first rounders thruout the nfl... off the top of my head (this is all off the top of my head, obviously): (in addition to the above) bledsoe (who will be starting somewhere next year), mcnair (#3 OA), couch (#1 OA), manning (#1 OA), collins (#5 OA), culepepper (#12-ish OA) and vick (#1 OA)

so that's 10 starters (well, 9 -- vick isn't the starter yet), plus guys like leaf, akili smith... uhm chad pennington (who may be the jets' starter next year), i think cade mcnown's still in the league, somewhere.

and... i'm done. spent.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Ric, I know about the top QBs. It's hard to project the lower tier QBs. Last year, A.J. Feeley came out of nowhere. Who will it be this year? George Godsey? Woodrow Dantzler? David Garrard? Patrick Ramsey? Carson Palmer? Antwaan Randle-EL? I ask because I put David Rivers into a few football products last year, and he was cut quickly (as was Josh Heupel...). I'm looking to avoid that sort of (inevitable) embarrassment this year. Picking the "cream of the crop" of NFL draftees tends to be pretty hard in the NFL, and that's just what I have to do...

13. Major

Major Member

EDIT: while I was typing all of this, apparently Ric found the information more quickly! Thanks! :)

Well, doing some research, here are the draft positions of QB's on playoff teams.

New England - Tom Brady - 6th Round
    Miami - Jay Fielder - Undrafted?
    NY Jets - Vinny Testaverde - #1 pick
    Pittsburgh - Kordell Stewart - 2nd Round (#4 pick)
    Oakland - Rich Gannon - 4th Round
    Baltimore - Elvis Grbac - 8th Round
    Seattle - Matt Hasselbeck - 6th Round

St. Louis - Kurt Warner - Undrafted?
    San Fran - Jeff Garcia - Undrafted?
    Chicago - Jim Miller - 6th Round
    Green Bay - Brett Favre - 2nd Round
    Tampa Bay - Brad Johnson - 9th Round
    Philly - Donovan McNabb - 1st Round (#2 Pick)

Maybe QB isn't the area to focus on.

Here are recent 1st round draft picks:

2001 - Michael Vick (not enough time)
    2000 - Chad Pennington (not enough time)
    1999 - Tim Couch (good, but bad team), McNabb, Akili Smith (ugh), Dante Culpepper (good, but bad team), McNown (ugh)
    1998 - Manning (good, but bad team), Leaf (ugh)
    1997 - Jim Druckenmiller (ugh)
    1996 - Tony Banks (ugh)
    1995 - Steve McNair (mediocre, bad team), Kerry Collins (decent, mediocre team)

None of the "franchise QBs" have built a franchise. No doubt some they have been successful parts of their franchises (just as many have flopped) -- and this is an odd year with Tennessee, Minnesota, & Indy all faltering, but it doesn't look to me like a "franchise QB" is really necessary at all. I'd rather use the top pick elsewhere and grab a QB somewhere down the draft.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

I dont think the Texans should draft a QB. Defense should be built first, then offensive line. McKinnie really looks special though. In his entire football career he has never given up a sack. Thats incredible. In a perfect world, the Texans will draft McKinnie first, Ed Reed in the 2nd round, Crouch as a WR in the 3rd, and Major as a QB in the 4th.

15. haven

haven Member

Major:

A franchise QB might not be *necessary*, but wouldn't you agree it's still the single-most important position on the field? You can have terrific line-backers on a 1-15 team... but I've never seen a team with a good-to-great QB do *that* bad. Even the Colts, with practically no defensive talent, did well with a good qb and one good wideout.

16. Hey Now!

that's a "perfect" world? they (apparently) jettison their additional picks, and then waste three of their remaing top 4 picks on a safety, an option qb and a qb nowhere near talented enough to break camp with them?

if that's the texans' haul, expect dallasprofootball.com to debut april 23.

17. Hey Now!

fyi, favre didn't go that high -- he was a fifth round pick.

18. Hey Now!

well, i think it's unlikely there will be any sleepers among this year's class -- what, exactly, is this for? godsey, i don't think, will be drafted (or, he won't make it out of camp, or, if he does, he'll be thrid string); dantzler will be drafted, but not sure he'll ever play QB on a regular basis (same for randal-el). some team will probably draft applewhite.

uhmm.... is garrad a senior? he has nfl size, as does palmer, but palmer, i think, is a junior and plans to come back. ramsey's... i'm drawing a blank -- is he the auburn QB?

19. unt2003

unt2003 Member

rohan davey doenst play for Lousville, he plays for the LSU Tigers. From what i have seen of him this season, i was not really impressed. I would love the Texans to draft a good o-line and get a stud QB next year.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Favre was drafted by Atlanta.