1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting the Thomas Robinson Trade - Robinson or Papanikolaou?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, Oct 10, 2014.

?

I'll take...

1. Kostas Papanikolaou

67.8%
  2. Thomas Robinson

4.8%
  3. Patrick Patterson, dammit! (Carl Herrera option)

27.3%
  1. baubo

baubo Member

Assuming KPap's 3 point shot is legit and can find ways to get that shot off in the NBA, then he should be worth more than TRob just in terms of skillset. In these days, wing players that can shoot 3s and not suck on D is pretty rare commodity. Undersized 4s with rebounding skills are a dime a dozen. TRob has more upside than your typical Reggie Evans type, but not much more so.

2. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Member

Pops it's not close, this guy is a basketball player

3. alethios

alethios Member

It's funny how we gave up a very serviceable player in Marcus Morris to get a hyped-up scrub like Robinson. I would gladly have either PPat or Morris back on this team at PF.

4. saleem

saleem Member

Papa looks more promising so far. Let's hope he has a very fine year for us.
    Go Kostas Go!

GO HOUSTON ROCKETS!

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Pap > PPat

Pap >> TRob

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Patrick Patterson still can't rebound for ****, but I admit, he did have some great seasons in Toronto.

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I meant to say that he did have a great season in Toronto, and Patterson's really not that much better than Terrence Jones.

8. jedicro

jedicro Member

Is he better than Jones at all? He's a better 3 pt shooter and defender, but Jones is way better at everything else. I'm not even sure I agree with the notion that PPat is better for team rebounds than Jones. We had Asik that year who was a freak on the boards. Unlike Howard he's not always flying off his man to block/contest a shot. We need Howard to do that, but I'm not sure having PPat would solve the rebounding issues it creates.

Terrence Jones was pretty darn good in limited minutes his rookie year, and showed huge improvement his 2nd with a PER of 19.1. I don't know if he's our PF of the future (kinda doubt it actually) but I don't think it's fair to write him off. Because of his defense Pat might be a better fit, but I'm not sure he's a better player.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

I really like ppatts game he would fit perfect right now. He's not a star or close to it but he would work great in our system. He's a willing pick setter, midrange, 3, defense system player.

If I was morey I wouldve came home with Lowry & PPAT 1st night of FA. But really digging the Ariza fit over parsons.

10. daytripper

daytripper Member

Everyone writing off PPat. Remember David West didn't become David West until New Orleans drafted CP3. West was 24 when CP3 turned him into a player. Same age PPat is now.

Of course in a vacuum I'd prefer PPat (and Lowry too for that matter). In the big picture I understand what Morey was trying to do by acquiring star players first.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

The Rockets had to move 2Pat for T.Rob in order to get a player that could be moved that next Summer in order to get Dwight Howard.

Case closed. Let's move on from 2Pat.

Good pick at 14 for Morey. Turned him into a nice stretch 4 whose going to have a long career in the NBA. Morey felt he needed to move him in order to get a more movable/younger asset. He was right too... T. Rob fetched a nice little haul, and Kostas Papanikolaou looks like he could make that fetch a little better here in the coming weeks.

Morey did what he did because of Dwight Howard or CP3... not because 2Pat is or isn't a better shooter than he thought Jones could be. Once again, folks here just can't grasp the big picture.

1 person likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Robinson deal was almost like the Thabeet deal. You see a bust coming but the "potential" tag was still on. So you figured even if the dude wouldn't pan out, there would always be some sucker GMs who would take a swipe for some nice assets.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

You'll love this one Carl-

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Maybe we can trade for him.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This was probably a calculated gamble worth taking for Portland.

Robinson's option was for $4.66M next year, and the Blazers are now prohibited from offering T-Rob more than that as a starting salary on his next contract.

However, if T-Rob has a decent year, Portland could always offer him a four- or five-year deal starting at $4.66M to re-sign him long-term. It will be tough for him to do better than that on the open market.

And if Robinson stinks this season, the Blazers dodged a $4.66M bullet next summer.

16. xiki

xiki Member

Father Christmas has me thinking he's got some Manu in him. Really.

1 person likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Member

If he outplays his contract then Blazers' get a good year, and lose him in July.
    If he doesn't he doesn't.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

I wonder. If Robinson plays well, someone will probably get enamored with his potential again.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Be interesting to see if they also decline the team option for Meyers Leonard. At 3 mil next year, if he show he's worthy of being a solid backup that's a steal.

However not sure if the T-Rob move & the fact that they haven't yet agreed to extend LMA yet signals that they might be trying to make a move in free agency next Summer. I'd say them declining Leonard's team option will tell us more about what their plans really are.

20. xiki

xiki Member

LMA can receive much much more $$$ waiting to next summer. He is, they plan on signing him then. And all but assuredly, will.