1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting the Thomas Robinson Trade - Robinson or Papanikolaou?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, Oct 10, 2014.

?

I'll take...

1. Kostas Papanikolaou

67.8%
  2. Thomas Robinson

4.8%
  3. Patrick Patterson, dammit! (Carl Herrera option)

27.3%
  1. BleedRocketsRed

BIG POPPA!!!!

This kid is awesome

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Usually, teams get 10 cents on the dollar for their assets in a salary dump.

It struck me that it looks like Morey got back more than he gave up in this salary dump.

That seems like a pretty remarkable thing in the annals of salary dumping trade history.

That is where this thread is coming from.

3. MONON

MONON Member

I'm a fan of patpat (not in hp or CH's league though) and hated loosing him. However, as it stands now, I'm glad we have KP. I love his energy, enthusiasm & 3 pt shooting. I can't wait to see our small ball line up with Dmo/Dwight and Pap, Harden, Daniels, Ariza & maybe Terry.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

How does Portland have a lot of depth at PF/C? They have their starters, Kaman, and a bunch of borderline NBA players.

KPap>TRob

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

PPat? How's his rebounding? Didn't we trade him because he wouldn't bang inside for those rebounds?

Two games only, but I love what I'm seeing from Adrien and Black. When you have 3pt shooters at 1-2-3, maybe you don't need as much offensive production from the 4.

Last night, we played fast like the 1st year Harden was on our team. Without Howard's post game to slow us down. Man, if only Howard would be willing to get his touches in the flow of the game ...

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

The things you say about Pat are true, but it's also true that his rebounding was a problem, and we would have had to get rid of him to get Howard.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. What I was trying to convey was that there would be a lot more minutes available for him on the Rockets. Even if he is pretty good in Portland, his minutes are going to be limited to 10-15, imo. He would have a chance to earn significant minutes here that doesn't exist in Portland. It didn't come out right when I tried to condense that thought into a couple of words.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

I see what you are saying. In Portland, he's competing for the 4th big man slot. Here, there's only 1 big guy who's guaranteed his spot.

9. gameme

gameme Member

definitely papa ;)

10. jdjd

jdjd Member

I didn't think PPat was even one of the options. That said where did all this love come from for a PF that couldn't grab a rebound to save his life?

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

We haven't had a PF who could (consistently) get his own shot in a while. Also, Patsquatch has developed into a very nice player for Toronto and just signed a reasonable contract. If you search on youtube, he was involved with a number of clutch defensive and offensive plays for the Raptors this past season.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Rebounding, defensive rebounding specifically, was fine when Patterson was starting. The Rockets were ranked among the top 5 on defensive boards that year.

Defensive rebounds was a bigger problem last season with the Howard-Jones combo.

Now Patterson likely wasn't the big difference maker-- Omer Asik was. Asik, unlike Howard, doesn't chase blocked shots and doesn't leave his man open under the basket for the boards as a result. But Patterson did enough on boxing out and grabbing the available boards to keep the Rockets a good defensive rebounding team. The team wasn't very good defensively without Omer Asik in there, though.

We do want Howard trying to block shots-- it holds down the opponents' shooting % very well-- but the rest of the guys have to rotate and block out Howard's guy and they didn't do a very good job at this last season.

I think Patterson would have been better at this than Jones and DMo were. He is pretty sound in terms of rotation and does not tend to get lost as often.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Ofcourse ppat would be a better fit next to dwight than jones and dmo. However that was not an option. It was ppat and asik or Jones and dwight. I know what i prefer.

14. kemah

kemah Member

Ppat sucked. He would have a run of good games then a run of bad games. Lost defensively a lot. He would have been a detriment to Howard. I do think he could be a starter possibly with certain teams.

15. PeppermintCandy

If Papa lives up to all this hype, the SF rotation with Ariza is going to be one of the team's strengths this year. And personally I'm surprised that this improvement is even a possibility given that the Rockets lost Parsons, one of the league's better small forwards.

Robinson looks like he's one of those bigs who needs more than a few seasons to really figure things out. Some big men do take time to mature, I've noticed. But he's still young enough that he may one day live up to his potential, in Portland or elsewhere.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The team probably had a chance to get Patterson last season when he was struggling with the Kings.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still think Robinson will be a serviceable backup PF in the future, but right now Pap is a way better fit and contract.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This description sounds more like Jones than Patterson.

19. anchel

anchel Member

Even this summer, Lowry + Patterson. We had enough cap space for both, but chose another path.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

As you say, we were fine as a team because of Asik. Pat's Defensive Rebound % was around 180th in the league. Also, our #2 DRB% from 2 years ago would have been #12 last season.

I like Pat. I think he would be a better option than any of the guys we have now, unless they improve. But his rebounding is a problem.