1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Revisit the Bet] Favre vs Schaub

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Vinsanity, Nov 29, 2009.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

wow... i think that's insane.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Glad to see ya thinking

Rocket River

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

How do I have a dog in the fight?

Am I in this bet somehow? No.

Do I give a crap how well or poorly Brett Favre does in relation to Matt? No.

So by your account just now, I could say you have a dog in this fight with Brett Favre? Nope...

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I just don't get it. What does Favre have that Schaub doesn't that makes you think Andre would be doing better? Has Schaub not looked his way often enough?

I'd give Favre a better ability to scramble and throw on the run.. but he's not THAT good at it. Just that Schaub isn't good at all really on the run.

Given Favre's utilization of TE's--OD may have had more TDs. But Schaub used OD a ton, and I bet his yardage would be the same either way.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Favre is playing behind a far superior offensive line with a far superior running game.

I think the difference would be like night and day if he was here this season instead of Minnesota.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know about the OL argument, first of all Schaub hasn't been sacked that much, and he's been sacked less than farve. Also at 40, farve is still a lot more mobile. this bet is going to hinge on whether farve falls apart, playing in a dome should help him this season

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

OK, looks like the bet is still on. Should be a fun few weeks.

8. DieHard Rocket

Having perhaps the best athlete in the NFL at running back (and defenses having to gameplan for him) has undoubtedly helped Favre. He's had a good season, no doubt, but that offense has the perfect ingredients.

Switch him and Schaub, and we're no better. Minnesota gets to beat up on Detroit and Chicago in their division, too...and Green Bay is no Indianapolis as far as tough division games go.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

It seems like Favre throws a better deep ball. And Favre is more likely to lob up the 'go and get it' pass that we seem to hate to give to AJ. I also feel like Schaub will get you downfield for the field goal to tie...while Favre will try and get you in the endzone.

Still, I (actually) DONT have a 'dog in the fight', though. I've been fairly happy with Matt's play this year (save for the painful interceptions...which Favre is also prone to do).

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that having a top flight defense helps too.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Cat in his typical arrogant, contrarian, I'm not a fan like you style scoffed at the mere mention of this comparison and now it comes down to which guy has a better defense. :grin:

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Am I The Cat?

Pretty obvious that having a good defense helps a quarterback so he doesn't have to play from behind... throw into more coverage... eliminates the play action... etc.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't this right about the point in the season where Favre started to suck last year? I remember he really cratered in the last couple of weeks of the season.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No but you've chimed in on the comparison. The defensive argument isn't really that simple. If you're behind you throw a lot more which gives you the opportunity to rack up a lot of numbers just like if you have a crap running game you can go to a short passing game and rack up a lot of yards that way. If you have a great defense and you're always ahead you'll run the ball more often and you won't throw deep because it's an unnecessary risk. Yadda yadda...

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

So who said it comes down to defense...?

Having a crappy defense would most likely only benefit a QB in yards.

Their rating, and interception numbers would likely suffer, however.

Man, if you look at the bottom 10 defenses in the league... they have total trash for quarterbacks... yikes... such a team game, all this crap is so intertwined... part of why I love football :cool:

16. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Look guys, the ONLY reason I made this bet is because of the tools the Vikings had. I saw it as a perfect storm situation for Favre. Best RB in the game, athletic receivers, one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, a solid Defense, a great 3rd down back in Chester Taylor with good hands and a fairly conservative playbook.

The fact that people are bringing this stuff up NOW as to why Favre is having a career year are the same reasons I said he'd have a great year to begin with. If he was still on the Jets, I'd NEVER have ever considered making this bet/argument.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Matt shaub just can't make some of the throws farve can. I would take the texans receiving corp over the min corp any day. The viking have ap, but he has been stopped. I think aj is just as good as ap as a playmaker.

18. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Favre has one major thing going for him as well. Peterson being the backfield does help him just a tad in the passing game. We can argue that Schaub really hasn't a running game all season and he lost one of his main receivers in Owen Daneils.

Lots of if's but the main one that stand out is that beast in the backfield in Minnesota taking a bit of pressure away from Favre.

19. baller4life315

So....The Cat is a "pompous know-it-all" yet here you are with a "LOOK AT ME!!!" thread attempting to flaunt your football knowledge and rub it in everybody's face? ;)

This might surprise you but you aren't the only one that saw this coming. I have argued this point quite extensively with members being discussed here and some that aren't yet you don't hear me rubbing it anybody's face. Same with the Jay Cutler thread -- for those familiar.

But I digress. I guess you have your bet to keep tabs on. All the same, keep it classy.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that the playbook is a huge factor.

Favre wanted to go to Minny last year simply for the fact that he basically knew the playbook already.

That has helped him a ton.