1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revised Expectations after 18 Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Dec 8, 2012.

?

Expected number of wins?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2012.
  1. 45-50

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 40-45

39 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. 35-40

39 vote(s)
    30.7%
  4. 30-35

14 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. 25-30

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Who knows? Mid-season trade could upend all predictions.

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Arthurprescott2

Rockets are currently sitting at 9-9 after 18 games (about 21% of the regular season). 7-3 at home and 2-6 away. 3rd in the division and 9th in the conference. Strength of schedule: .522.

Schedule so far:
    Pistons W
    Hawks W
    Trailblazers L
    Nuggets L
    Grizzlies L
    Pistons W
    Heat L
    Hornets/Pelicans W
    Trailblazers L
    Lakers L
    Jazz L
    Bulls W
    Knicks W
    Raptors W
    Thunder/Zombie Sonics L
    Jazz W
    Lakers W
    Spurs L

Next 18 games:
    Mavericks (home), Spurs (home), Wizards/Bullets (home), Celtics (home), Raptors, Knicks, Sixers (home), Grizzlies (home), Bulls, Timberwolves, Spurs, Thunder, Hawks (home), Pelicans (home), Bucks, Cavaliers, Lakers (home), and Pelicans.

What are we expecting from this point forward?
    Given how most of the board came into the season with low expectations (board consensus 25-30 wins, Hollinger: 27, Vegas Over/Under: 30.5 - all before Harden; board consensus after Harden: 30-35), have the results of the first 18 games affected your expectations? What record do you expect the Rockets to end with at the close of the regular season? Moreover, do the Rockets make the playoffs?

I'm inherently a fairly pessimistic person with a large splash of cynicism mixed in but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Rockets finish with 40-45 wins. Just missing or barely making playoffs. I expect this is the general board consensus, but was curious to see if that was the case.

2. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

This is what defines us.

3. arjun

arjun Member

We are not bad enough to get a top pick and we are not good enough to win the championship.

Thus I don't really care how our record ends up, I think it is more important for this franchise to see Harden continue to develop his game as an allstar, Jeremy Lin to break out, Asik/Parsons/Patterson to continue what they are doing consistently over the course of the season.

4. sando

sando Member

Looks like we won't get a high draft pick.
    We cannot make playoff either.

Basically, nothing has changed from last season.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Are you posting next year's schedule? Got some Pelicans listings on there :)

This difference is the same .500 record on THIS team is actually a DIFFERENT kind than previous teams.

For the YOUNGEST team in the league, it means its an encouraging sign of BETTER things to come.

I still think why not play the rookies more with some strategic tanking in mind. But I guess Rockets feel young players can get the development time in D-League and can "up-develop" them, instead of drafting Anthony Davis you cultivate what you have.

My expectations is 35 wins is about par for this course, and anything past that is encouragement.

1 person likes this.
  6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

14th pick, here we come!

7. Arthurprescott2

#TeamPelicans

I thought I'd get a jump-start on calling them by their soon-to-be name. :p

8. mazinger

mazinger Member

40-45 and we'll get the 14th pic yet again.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's a much better outcome this time though compared to previous seasons. Youngest team in the NBA, lots of upside, max cap space, young star already in the fold...

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm sticking with my 38 wins prediction.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's reasonable. I think we will win two or three more than that, myself. But we should be around .500.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wrong. We now have a much younger team with much more upside.

We just condensed the season of losing into one offseason.

13. lfw

lfw Rookie

40 - 45 but that's pretty good for such a young team thrown together right before the season. Sure not all of these young players are going to pan out but you have to expect a least a few of these players to get better for next year. Add room under the cap for a max player and I would say things are looking up.

14. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Right after the Harden trade, I thought 34 wins. But with what I've seen over the past 18, I think it'll be more like 36 or 37.

And for anyone that thinks that us getting the 14th pick again this year means that we're still treading water, that nothing's changed, isn't thinking long-term. The entire team has been turned into the youngest team in the NBA. To have the same record as last year with a much younger team means that our future is bright.

This team is NOTHING like last year's, in which all players had already hit their peaks. This team has another 3-4 years to go before most of the players are near the tops of their games. That's vast improvement, if we finish with the same winning percentage or better this season.

And if we don't, I'd be worried...except that we already have one more star on our roster than we had last season.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not to mention the cap space. Good post.

16. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

why not allowing an option to vote for over 50 without a trade?

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

After the Harden trade, I expected us to make the playoffs. I stand by that prediction.

18. torocan

torocan Member

This. Bubble play off team. I'm still thinking 37-42 wins, with a possible upside of 45ish wins.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

43 wins, fighting for the last playoffs spot.

20. Peaceful Elbow

:grin: I voted 45-50 wins. Our offense is fine. We just need a defensive power forward similar to Iblocka to help Asik then 45-50 wins shouldn't be too hard to achieve.