1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reviewing Daryl Morey’s Record as Rockets GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 25, 2011.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I love players on this team such as Kyle, Pat and I absolutely adore Martin.

But I also want to look at the big picture. We are indeed one good center away from being a legit team. But how are we going to get that center? We don't have capspace, we don't have any valuable draft picks, and the best young prospect we've got is probably Kyle Lowry, and we are not going to trade him away.

We lack a good SF and a good C, but there is almost no way we can get it.

I have no problem with the team so far on a personal basis, as I very much enjoy watching this exciting squad.

There is almost no way for us to get a good C or a good SF apart from another lateral move, i.e. kyle lowry for nene.

If we didn't get Lowry, Martin, etc, then we'd probably would have had a serious shot and maybe even ended up with John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, etc.

But we've just got a middling team with not much upside right now.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm holding out hope for Enes Kanter or Bismack Biyombo and praying that they deliver the Rockets the defensive minded, shot blocking, rebounding center we need.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

It would be great if the Rockets can get one of those two, but they really don't fit with the current group. I think if we got one of those two, and they worked out, it would signal the beginning of a whole new rebuilding step--which goes back to my original point: Morey's "successes", and I give him credit for that, ended up being directionless and, a waste.

4. crash5179

I don't know why they would not fit? A great defensive center that can run the court sounds like a perfect fit.

Lowry, Lee, Budinger, Pat, Chuck, Goran, Hill are all so young and played so well together after the all-star break. Even Kevin Martin is still relitively young at 28. These guys played really good defense and great offense after the break when the rotation tightened up. They beat a lot of play-off teams including teams like Memphis that they were battling for the final play-off spot.

I don't think they are as far off as some think they are. Give me a legit starting defensively dominate center that can run the floor with the rest of these young guys and I think the Rockets could compete with any team in the league.

5. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

I think this discussion is incomplete, until you discuss salaries, trade exceptions and other cap implications. Its not called money ball for nothing.

6. crash5179

Well....

.....Bring it on. Of course you can find most of that in any Bima related thread.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Morey didn't believe in drafting for needs? He picked Patterson when we already had Scola, Hayes, Hill, and Jeffries. Not that I object to the Patterson pick.

Gasol was clearly a miss. But EVERYBODY missed.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Really? If I gave you a choice between two 25 year old wings and gave you the below stats and salaries, who would you chose?

11 ppg / 2 apg / 5.4 rpg / 11.38 PER
    39% FG
    30% 3P
    34.7 MPG
    2011 Salary: $6,322,320.00

vs.

8 ppg / 1 apg / 2.6 rpg / 12.63 PER
    44% FG
    41% 3P
    21.3 MPG
    2011 Salary: $1,352,640.00

I take the latter every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

9. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Nice summary Crash :) He hasn't made ALL of the right moves but i'd still trust him to make the fail-safe decision; good or bad~ take that with a grain of salt.

1 person likes this.
  10. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

You're correct. In a perfect world, we'd have seen the writing was on the wall after Yao's injury and blown the team up at the start of last season. We should have traded what we had for future value and committed to rebuilding in a draft that had several franchise talents available. Unfortunately, Les has made it clear that this will never be an option, so we have to look at other choices.

Given these constraints, Morey's done an incredible job. What GM has done more with less? He hasn't had any premium young talents like Favors to develop or include in trades. He hasn't had any high lottery picks with which to draft such talents. When he became GM, the roster had no desirable players. He doesn't work in a glamorous city that free-agent superstars flock to.

Despite all this, we have a winning record in the West and will probably make the playoffs next year. We have a roster full of players with the potential to develop into studs or valuable trade bait. We have no big, franchise-killer contracts a la Rashard. With what he's had to work with, Morey's done a fantastic job.

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Scola and Spanoulis are both much better players than Splitter is. Hell, Nando De Colo is about the same level player as Splitter.

Splitter can defend really well but that is it. He has zero offensive game. There was no reason at all for Morey to want Splitter. I think Morey is ridiculously overrated here, but there was no reason to pursue Splitter.

Splitter was the Jeff Foster of the Euroleague. I very nice and useful player to have, but nothing near a player of Scola's level.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

put em together and you have a complete player

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Many a poster would agree with you that we are essentially missing a legit 5 to seriously contend. To have a chance to win it all, we also need a defensive-minded sf who can make some 3's.

Back to the center need, Morey has unsuccessfully attempted to bring us a starting center for the past 2 trading deadlines. They just don't come cheap or they don't get traded at all. If something doesn't work, then you have to try something else: the draft. Morey needs to make some trades to move up and try to snatch a big guy.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Stats don't tell the whole story, and of course when you take the salary differences, Lee is the better choice.

Still, if I had a contending team, and money was not a big issue, Ariza would have been my choice. You guys just forget how good Ariza was playing for us once Martin came onboard and he was able to play his natural sf position.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Euro-Troll in da hizzouse!

Why is it that the only Euro players you dislike are the ones who are actually on NBA teams or likely to be on one soon? Those guys are all crap, but the ones stuck in Europe are the best players in the world?!? WTF?

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Isn't that what Thabeet is supposed to be? Or do shot-blocking seven footers only count if they're good?

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This.

18. crash5179

Only if they. Can get on the court. If Thabeet can become good then I'm all for it.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, I think it would have made a lot of sense. If you'll remember, we almost didn't sign Carl Landry after drafting him. It might have made a lot of sense to pick up a foreign center who wouldn't need to come aboard right away.

I alluded to this earlier, but the more I think about it the more positive I feel about it. This thread has really brought to focus the potential pitfall of drafting the best player available and counting on doing trades to even out the roster. Successful centers are just plain worth a lot more than more talented smaller players. Yeah, we had Deke and Yao back then, but we knew Deke would have to retire eventually and we've been worried about injuries to Yao since he was drafted. We really need to keep the pipeline open specifically on drafted talent at Center. Keep them abroad or down on the RGV or on the IR, but we need to have a few center projects in the works. It's frustrating when they're duds, but successes are worth a lot.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

The bottom line is results; two straight years out of the playoffs. Hmmm. Frankly, I think Morey is the only thing about the Rockets that is overrated. No doubt he is a smart guy, but is he a smart NBA basketball guy? I don't think the jury will be out much longer.