1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reviewing Daryl Morey’s Record as Rockets GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I really like Lee, but Ariza has proven over the years that he is clutch when it matters. OTOH, Lee, well, he has gotta to learn how to close the deal (being kind here).

2. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

For the Kings, yeah!

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Can we wait to see Terrence play, before we consider him a "miss". Terrence should at the very least be under the label of "PENDING".

Under a new coach the guy could potentially be starter next year.

4. Gucci_Ochocinco

Um, what? I'll consider the Joey Dorsey/Hilton Armstrong part a wash, so this part of the deal literally consists of Kevin Martin for Carl Landry. If you really think that the Kings got the better deal you are on crack. Yeah, Landry's salary is significantly less, but come on. Landry's PER is actually below the league average (136th overall, one spot behind T-Mac!), while Martin is in the top 20. Maybe you are just trolling or something. Don't get me wrong, I loved Landry when he was here and I still do, but this is ridiculous.

5. Sanity2disChaos

Great Post....very informative and organized.....enjoyed the read.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

As stated earlier, Marc Gasol, Omar Asik were opertunities to get quality Centers that we missed out on. AB and Landry were both 1st round talent that should have been drafted earlier. When drafting that low you have to be happy to get that kind of talent and you have to give DM a good grade for that draft IMO.

However, we clearly missed an oppertunity to acquire a quality Center that would be starting. None of us can argue that point. Those players were available and passed over when we drafted. But I'm not holding it against Morey.

7. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I think we may have overpaid Luis Scola now that he has a potential long-term knee injury.

Other than that I think he has done well in trades. I hope he will start to swing for the fences soon.

8. crash5179

I'm not telling you it was better or how to think. Daryl Morey gets an A+ for me on that draft. However, in all fairness Yao was already starting to break down and Deke was already in his 70's (or was it 80's?). Don't get caught up in semantics because I used the word missed... but it was a missed oppertunity to draft an all-star caliber center. No one can deny that.

9. crash5179

Your certainly allowed your oppinion. With the exception of Yao and TMac this roster is light years better than the one that won 50 games prior to DM taking over at GM.

10. crash5179

topfive

You are an absolute profit! :grin:

11. crash5179

I really was not trying to say that he failed by not drafting Gasol or Asik etc... just that he has failed in landing us a quality Center and those were just missed opertunities. At the time of that draft even the teams that drafted those players didn't know what they had as evidence that they play somewhere else now.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thank you for the common sense.

Adelman was hired about a month before that draft. So after one month with the team, they said, "You go ahead, Rick, take this one all on your own." I don't think so.

And since almost everyone expected Brooks to be picked in the second round, it's insane to think that he wasn't on Morey's radar. My guess is that Morey liked him a lot, and Adelman agreed. Probably made it an easy choice. Would that make it "Adelman's pick," though? Hardly.

#52 topfive, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  13. Raven

Raven Member

14. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Well, Ill certainly concede that this article is significantly better evidence to back up your point than you rudely saying that if we spent any time reading that your point would be obvious to us. You should link to more articles that have direct quotes when you are stating things that you consider to be facts that others may dispute. That is alot more productive than saying stuff like "everyone who pays any attention would know this."

That being said, if this is the only evidence you have to prove that Adelman "definitely" was the one who drafted Brooks, then it is indded insufficient. To use the word "definitely" you have to be 100% sure that what you're stating is the truth, and this statement does absolely nothing to back up your stance that Adelman called the shot in this situation.

Had you said something along the lines of "Rick Adelman followed Brooks alot during Adelman's year off and probably brought Brooks' talent to Morey's attention when he joined the team and suggested we draft him," then people PROBABLY would not have a problem with your statement and your link would be terrific evidence to back up your stance. Instead, you stated Adelman picked Brooks and not Morey as a fact, then backed up your stance with a somewhat unrelated fact showing that Adelman liked AB in college and your own speculation that this meant he must have been the one who called the shots. Your supporting evidence failed to PROVE something that you stated as FACT, and FACTS require PROOF.

15. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Repped, nice going. Some people dont know why we didnt choose deandre jordan or something is because we already had centers like yao ming and deke .. think about it.
    Gotta say the luis scola trade was the best + the Kevin Martin.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you're gonna troll here, why don't you create a brand for yourself like CDenton or goodbug? And if you're gonna enrage the sensible people here, be sure to do it with posts with at least semblance of logic. Arguing that the KM for Landry trade was actually a great trade for the Kings when Landry isn't even with them anymore doesn't really do anything except make you look stupid.

As for the OP excellent post. Way to summarize the moves DM has made, and this shows exactly why people who think he should be fired are nuts.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you serious?

The Artest trade was that one last piece to our contending roster. Too bad Tmac and Yao have glass bodies.

Ariza has proven to be a boneheaded chucker.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Well, let me put it this way:

Most of these moves are non-consequential.

Its exactly like, you see a middle school student getting all-state accolades for his science projects and designs. He could get 100% on his science exams every year of middle school, but THE TIMES IT REALLY COUNTS ARE HIS HIGH SCHOOL RESULTS. He shows great promise and potential and everyone have high hopes for him, but at the end of the day those middle school science exams count for nothing. It only helps others to project him for his potential high school results so he can get into Harvard (which is to win a championship in NBA terms).

END OF STORY: If Morey had f34ked up those moves OP listed, we'd be worse than the Minnesota Timberwolves now. But he had done extremely well, and hence we're evolved into a 9th seed from such little resources.

The moves don't matter unless it was going to help us win a championship. And none of those Aaron Brooks/Carl Landry whatever moves were going to win us one.

How have the last few seasons been anyways?

It may or may not be Morey's fault, BUT THE LAST TWO YEARS WERE A COMPLETE WASTE.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

After reading crash's opening thread, I think the one thing that most of us forget (myself included) about during Morey's tenure is that the drafts and trades he's made, for the most part, is due in part to a team he inherited and not one he could have just blew up and rebuild like what Sam Presti did or what Kevin Pritchard did during his time in Portland. When a GM has to work with the constraints Morey had, it's easy to fault the moves he COULD have made but it's harder to see that the moves he made was to help improve or patch up the roster he had.

2007-2008

Brooks pick: We had ONE point guard on that 06-07 team going into the offseason after jettisoning VSpan. Taking the BPA (Brooks averaged, what, 19 ppg in college) at #26 was the sound move Morey made.

Landry pick: I think, while Gasol would be the better pick in hindsight, Morey had hopes that Yao would come back in 07-08 at 100% strength so, like crash and some have said, there's no need to pick a project/overseas center when you had an All-Star center and Mutombo on the roster.

Morey's Hisk Risk Prospect transaction this year: Gerald Green

2008-2009

After rattling off 22 straight wins and hoping that Yao would FINALLY be back (to a lesser degree, he was), Morey decided that it was best to try and win now while McGrady and Yao could still play most of a season and so here comes Artest.

Donte Green pick: I was disappointed that we shipped this kid out so early since he was doing pretty well during the Summer leagues that year but I guess it was a decent deal considering it helped us get Artest while Green is still trying to find playing time in Sac-Town. What's interesting is that, IIRC, the Rockets wanted Brandon Rush at 25 but Portland came in and took him.

Artest trade: These are the trades Morey likes--turning picks and expiring contracts into good players. Who knows what could have been if McGrady was 100% healthy and less cancerous and if Yao didn't go down in the playoffs. A few things here and there and this could have been the trade that put the Rockets in the Finals that year.

Morey's Hisk Risk Prospect transaction this year: Joey Dorsey

2009-2010

IIRC, Morey tried to get into the 1st Round of this draft but did not succeed.
    While I can't fault Morey for not hitting homeruns with 2nd Round picks he bought with Les' money, what I do find interesting is that the lowest pick he had (Budinger) has been the best player out of the three picked thus far. Of course, this is based on the fact that Llull hasn't logged one NBA minute yet...

Morey's Hisk Risk Prospect transaction this year: Jordan Hill

2010-2011

Morey tried to move up in this draft again and did not succeed. I think after Monroe and Paul George were gone, the Patterson pick was one part "drafting the BPA" and three parts "drafting a player I know who will be, at worst, a solid contributor". No doubt Morey tried to get his hands on a big to help the transition into the Post-Yao era (e.g. Cousins).

Morey's Hisk Risk Prospect transaction this year: Hasheem Thabeet

2 people like this.
  20. crash5179

You think drafting Patrick Patterson, trading for Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin as well as developing Chase Budinger was a waste?

I just don't see it that way. IMO this team is a really good center away from being a serious contender, especially if Pat developes like it appears he will.