1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Review the last restaurant you visited

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 16, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Calling the foodies. Like the movie thread, I'd like to hear about what non-chain restaurants people visit and enjoy. I enjoy hearing about those places that have great food that you usually only hear about from word of mouth.

I tried to visit Da Vinci Ristorante tonight out in Cinco Ranch but it was packed and they said you should make a reservation. I've heard it's great food so looking forward to visiting sometime soon.

Last Saturday I went to Lopez Mexican Restaurant off of 59. The menu is pretty small but their food is really fresh. I had the combo fajitas which were awesome. The rice was really well made, not that heavy sodium taste that you get at Pappasitos for example. Also had the El Rey margarita, damn good drink... very fresh and tasty, perhaps the best I've ever had. For dessert I had a flan and again it was probably the best I've ever had. They put a little cream with the flan which gave it a nice change of pace. I'd never been anywhere where they serve it like that, pretty cool. The pricing was really very good. Lunch for two with drinks and desert plus tip was about $70. The only downside about the place was the noise. It was really damn noisy in there. Lots of families with kids and stuff. Overall one of the best Mexican restaurants I've visited, right there with El Tiempo.

I'm trying to make it over to Hubcap Grill soon, I hear they have great burgers.

1 person likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Went to Little Bigs Today with a friend of mine. One of my favorites, but she had never had it before and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good burger (they have sliders, but just get 2 or 3 and you're set). It's right across the street from Niko Niko's on Montrose. I got a beef slider, but they have other options as well. The caramelized onions on the burger make it in my opinion.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Chipotle. Burritos Are pretty good

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Canopy (Museum District) - 4.3/5

I really enjoyed this place. I originally had gone on the Shade (Heights) website to book a mother's day dinner, but I noticed a link to the Canopy website at the bottom of the page. It's Shade's sister restaurant and I think I like it even more. I had crabcakes on fried green tomato app and bbq pork tenderloin for my meal. Drinks were also great. Great place for a fairly casual but elegant dinner

I had one of the soy bean sliders (whatever the vegan ones are) last time I was there and it was actually amazing, it might actually be my favorite of all of em

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

J Alexanders...

Fantastic. Haven't found one thing on the menu I don't like.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Cheesecake Factory... didn't see Harden there so meh...

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Teddy's Bigger Burgers. Burger patty was undercooked. Too much house sauce on burger. Cheesy tots were very good though.

8. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Thai Bistro - 10/10

Love this place, especially the one off of 59 and Kirby I believe.

Pad Thai and Red Curry are both awesome!

9. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Da Vincis is sooo good!! The asparagus with goat cheese wrapped in prosciutto with honey and balsamic glaze mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CometsWin likes this.
  10. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Never heard of Lopez Mexican restuarant untill your post. Will try it out! Thanks!

CometsWin likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Moon tavern inn. Amazing 4/5. Probably my favorite place in Houston now. Had a burger for the first time and the chipotle sauce and fire blend bacon was fantastic.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

CiCi's Pizza - 6/10 (Cinnamon Rolls 11/10)

$5, 24 foot long.

They have a thin crust pizza called Italiano which does not suck. And the cinnamon rolls are to die for.

13. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Subway :p 5/10

5 dollars for a footlong? I'm there! I had the oven roasted chicken breast on wheat with light mayo. The chicken isn't great but I'm on a diet so I wasn't expecting it to be. May consider returning in the near future.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Kentucky Fried Sh!tfaced. 10/10 because they were opened when I was sh!tfaced!!!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, hard to beat Moontower. The last place I went to was MKT Bar/Phonecia downtown. Definitely worth a try, unique dishes.

16. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Fish City Grill - 5 out 5

My buddy and I ate like kings: Shared 5 lbs of crawfish, Alaskan Snow Crab for 2, & fish tacos. Everything was excellent and price was great

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wanna try their oyster nachos.

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I hear they are the best. Unfortunately, I do not like oysters, so I steered clear

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Went to Otelia's on Longpoint for the first time today. Awesome awesome food. I had enchiladas verdes and they were delicious. If you're looking for authentic Mexican food (not tex mex) then I highly recommend it.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Seven Eleven .5/10

I had the two small hot dogs for $2.22 off the "hot grill". I noted that the hot dogs appeared to be shriveled up and over cooked but I was starving and the egg salad sandwich was throbbing and didn't seem to be a good idea.

I topped both hot dogs with mustard, relish and dried up onions. I will note that the "restaurant" smelled like a dirty baby diaper and the Indian fella working the grill had body odor so bad that when he picked up the hot dog buns it just soaked into the bun and lingered in my car for three days.

After consuming the hot dogs, I had volcanic ****s within an hour that lasted a good 45 minutes. I am considering being tested for intestinal parasites.

Surfguy likes this.