1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Retrospect of the T-Mac/Yao era(Long Read)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, May 16, 2010.

?

What did you think of the Yao/T-Mac era?

1. I enjoyed it

183 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. I did not enjoy it

52 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. No strong feelings either way

45 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

As T-Mac leaves the Rockets and Yao's days as a top center seems over, what do you think of their years together?

I ask because it seems all the Rockets fans are only treating them in a negative light. And as a Rockets fan who enjoyed these past few years, I find it sad that no one really gave them credit for pulling the Rockets out of the "dark years" following Hakeem/Barkley/Clyde's departures. And that despite team playoff woes, at least the Rockets became competitive again.

The T-Mac/Yao era are as follows.

2004-2005: A New Hope (51-31 record. Lost 3-4 in the first round to those annoying ponies)
    Yao - 18.4ppg/8.3rpg/2.0bpg/55%
    T-Mac - 25.7ppg/6.2rpg/5.7apg/1.7spg

The only season both were truly healthy. And both played up to their star level billing. Unfortunately, Yao was still a little green. And the surrounding cast sucked ass. In the playoffs we had to play Ryan Bowen minutes. He of 2.6 PER. Think about how bad that is. 2.6 PER shouldn't get you 5 minutes in a regular season game. Bowen played 18mpg in the PLAYOFFS!

As disappointed as I was in the outcome, it was the first time in ages that I truly believed the Rockets could make noise. And also that I had more to look forward to than dribble dribble dribble dribble... During Stevie years I watched the Rockets because I loved basketball and rooted for my team. Now, I watch the Rockets because I WANT to watch them.

2005-2006: Lost season (34-48 record. No playoffs)
    Yao - 22.3ppg/10.3rpg/1.7bpg/ - 57 games played. Had season-ending injury
    T-Mac - 24.4ppg/6.5rpg/4.2apg/1.3spg -47 games played

The signs of things to come with the injuries. But overall, more so than our stars missing games, the season showed just how horrendous our supporting casts are. To put that in perspective, our current season came out 42-40. You think we're not at least a 50-win team adding Yao and T-Mac playing at 2005 level for 57 and 47 games respectively? Just like the 2005 playoffs against Dallas, our supporting case were deeply exposed as simply horrible players. And you can't even say they didn't try, as it contained the "Juwan screwed us from getting Roy" moment.

Not much to comment, besides the fact that when Yao and T-Mac aren't propping the team up, we're nothing.

2006-2007: Morey comes in (52-30 record. 3-4 loss to the ******* Jazz - why do we have to keep losing to teams we hate!?)
    Yao - 25.0ppg/9.4rpg/2.0bpg/ - 48 games played. Came back in the playoffs
    T-Mac - 24.6ppg/5.3rpg/6.5apg/1.3spg

The first signs of a pulse from the supporting cast, but also the last time Yao manage to finish the playoffs. With Daryl Morey in the fold, the first of "under the radar" players came flowing in with Battier and Hayes. And despite what you may think of them, the record indicate there is a correlation. With Yao missing half the season, the Rockets didn't miss a beat. Once again becoming a 50+ win team and got 1st round home court. Unfortunately, the Jazz were simply a horrible matchup for Yao, who also might've had some recovery problems. Either way, another disappointing end to the season.

I must say, I loved the season. I loved how the team kept pace when Yao went out. And I loved how Yao reintegrated himself when he came back. He simply looked dominant at the tail end of the season, prompting high hopes for a deep playoff run. Ultimately disappointing, but an incredible ride.

2007-2008: Era ends with a Streak (55-27 record. 2-4 loss to the ******* Jazz again)
    Yao - Season ending injury
    T-Mac - 21.6ppg/5.1rpg/5.9apg/1.0spg

The season most notably remembered for the 22 game winning streak. And indeed, that was amazing. In hindsight though, the season was a huge turning point for the franchise. And that point was our stars finally could no longer be stars, and our role players finally stopped sucking. The infusion of Scola, Landry, and Brooks by Morey finally solved the biggest problem of the T-Mac/Yao era. Yet it came 1-2 years too late.

My feelings during the season ran incredibly high. Scolandry looked like the PF that I've always hoped for since Barkley's retirement. Brooks looked like a future 6th man. T-Mac no longer had to score all the time, and overall we looked like we actually have some firepower. Unfortunately, the 22-win streak could not save us from Yao's season-ending injury.

Overall, I loved the 4 years as a Rockets fan. And I loved both T-Mac and Yao. Ultimately they were let-downs, but the journey was incredible every year save 2005-2006. And looking back, the most depressing thing was that the convergence of Morey and T-Mac/Yao's prime could not happen. That during their primes, Yao and T-Mac could only serve as cornerstone for the likes of old Juwan, Rafer, Wesley, Padgett, Bowen, Weatherspoon, Mark Jackson, and so many other mediocrities that can't pull their own weight.

3 people like this.
  2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I enjoyed it intensely up until after we got robbed in the Dallas series. Things were never quite the same after that because Yao and Mac were rarely together for prolonged periods of time... and I hated the Utah series we had, for obvious reasons.

3. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

Good read......the curse of T-Mac (maybe) or the Health and Heart of the Rockets (maybe) or it was just because they were versing Jazz (maybe)......

but if we didnt had tmac.......i cant image how Rockets would be like.....

in my option....(i am confused these years with T-Mac)

4. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

i have one more thing to say: God Knows everything......if we didnt had T-Mac ...... we couldnt have got Shane Battier and Winning Streak (W22)

5. Salvation710

Salvation710 Member

Even though I lost respect for T-Whack, there were some fun times. 33 seconds and 22 wins were my favorite moments ever (since the championships).

6. NerdJames

NerdJames Member

hi im new here but,
    how did Juwan prevent us from getting Roy??
    brief explanation plz

7. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Looking back on it and watching old games, I enjoyed it. Back when it was happening I didn't enjoy it or appreciate it enough because we could never get out of the first round. I miss the Juwan Howard, Bob Sura days :(

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I would like to just point out that the league was not as strong in the 04-05 season as it is now. Also, I think we would have gotten past the Mavs if Howard was healthy. We had freakin' flyin Ryan guarding Dirk.

I never used to watch all 82 games prior to the T-Mac/Yao era but ever since then I have managed to watch almost all rockets games.

The Rockets are the best franchise Houston has. Lets enjoy it while it lasts.

P.S. Great post OP.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I need a "both loved it and hated it" poll option

Strong feelings both ways.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

What really screwed up the T mac and Yao era was the drafting of Luther Head and bypassing on David Lee. If we had Lee in those Utah series, the j*zz wouldn't of gotten those crucial offensive rebounds at the end of games that were back breakers.

11. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Lol, I saw this and I just had to ask.. What does God have to do with a 22 game winning streak?

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

he is saying it rhetorical
    don't get OFFENDED and SURPRISED now because he mentioned a higher being

back to the topic - I enjoyed it, Rockets were a winning team for the most of the time and they were respected around the league. They were underachievers and overachievers at the same time because of the injuries

1 person likes this.
  13. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

2006-2007 Season was our best chance. The League was a little watered down as far as elite teams-with the Mavs having the best record and losing in the first round. No Celtics yet and no Lakers with Gasol. Also the Spurs won it all and the Pistons were good, but both teams were still not as good as previous years.

I disagree with your comments about Yao working into the line up at the end of the season when he came back. He was no where near the same player from the first half of the season. The first half of 2006-2007- Yao was the best he has ever looked. Better than Dwight Howard now or any center back in 2006-2007. JVG's crew had him in a superstar dominant status in 2006 (First 2 months). Right before he got injured, I saw him play against the Spurs in San Antonio during the Christmas holidays(we didn't even have T-mac). He dominated Tim Duncan on both ends of the court and we easily beat the Spurs on their homecourt.

If only Yao had stayed Healthy that year I think that would have been our best chance at a championship. We would have been a top 3 seed and could have beaten Utah, San Antonio or Dallas if Yao was playing at the same level. And no one in the east could have even hung with us that year.

The Bad Luck continued last year too. I'm one of those peole who thinks we could have beaten the Lakers if Yao nor Deke got hurt. We needed both, but that would have got it done.

#13 tanviraman, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  14. redao

redao Member

That's a sad era.

You had TMAC and Yao, good all star players.
    but you gave them JVG and Rafer, the worst coach&GM and worst PG.

in the end, TMAC did not even get past first round

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Basically, it was Yao and TMac were good while the team sucked.

Then the team got good, and Yao and TMac went missing.

That's how it went. Sucks, but that's basketball. Right place, right time.

16. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Meh,

I don't see how you can say "I find it sad that no one really gave them credit for pulling the Rockets out of the "dark years" following Hakeem/Barkley/Clyde's departures. And that despite team playoff woes, at least the Rockets became competitive again."

The Rockets advanced further with Hakeem/Barkley/Clyde's than they did with Tracy/Yao so I don't know how you get that the Tracy/Yao era pulled the Rockets out of the "Dark Ages". That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?
    Yao and Tracy didn't even advance further than what The Stevie era did. Yao did but Tracy did not.

"And also that I had more to look forward to than dribble dribble dribble dribble... During Stevie years I watched the Rockets because I loved basketball and rooted for my team. Now, I watch the Rockets because I WANT to watch them."

Quite the opposite for me during the Stevie years I watched the Rockets because I loved my team and I loved to watch a player that loved his city and leave it all on the table night in and night out.

The last couple of years we're never the same, Tracy made my stomach curl as I realized how lazy, self-centered and a me player he was. IMO the the "Dark Ages" were the years Tracy was here.

"Overall, I loved the 4 years as a Rockets fan. And I loved both T-Mac and Yao. Ultimately they were let-downs, but the journey was incredible every year save 2005-2006. And looking back, the most depressing thing was that the convergence of Morey and T-Mac/Yao's prime could not happen. That during their primes, Yao and T-Mac could only serve as cornerstone for the likes of old Juwan, Rafer, Wesley, Padgett, Bowen, Weatherspoon, Mark Jackson, and so many other mediocrities that can't pull their own weight."

I here you as far as role players, but I don't here you saying anything about Yao being "green", or the role players that the Stevie/Yao era had.

All this is besides the point and we can't change anything. All I know is finally Tracy is gone!!!!!

17. cuddie

cuddie Member

Not like we missed the playoffs for four years in a row and then got swept the following or anything. Basic reading comprehension will tell you that he said after Hakeem/Barkley/Clyde left, not while they were here.

You can argue that technically, Tracy/Yao didn't do anything more than Stevie/Yao, and you'd be right. However, the former actually had a legitimate chance and were competitive, whereas the latter got swept in their only playoff appearance.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sounds like someone needs to take of their TMac glasses.

I think the OP is a very reasonable synopsis of what happened.

The '05 Mavs series will forever live in Rockets infamy, but it was quality entertainment. I can't quite say the same for the Jazz series.

Overall I really enjoyed the 4 years, despite the bitterness. Am I glad it's over? Definitely. People will revise history and say that we overrated ourselves but I don't think any of the teams were overrated; rather I think Rockets fans had very reasonable expectations that fate always managed to destroy.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the tmac/yao era is like an honor student who got addicted to crack.

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Good read.

I definitely did enjoy the era. Granted there were many disappointments, it brought life back to Houston Rockets basketball.