1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired Rox Jerseys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 22, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Member

Should the Rox consider 'retiring' more 'jerseys'? Who?

Should Moses or Charles get honored? What about some 'honor' for Peterson and/or Worrell? Ray Patterson?

I love the idea of creating a tradition to enhance the Rox 'tradition'.

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Maybe I'm wrong but isnt Mose's jeresy retired?

If its not than that would be the next one I'd put up there other than that I cant think of anybody that should be up there.

I do think in some way that the Rockets should honor Rudy T for what he did coaching in some sort of way.

3. xiki

xiki Member

In addition to his playing #45!

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I thought Moses was retired as well...

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rockets jerseys that are retired :

22 Clyde Drexler
    23 Calvin Murphy
    24 Moses Malone
    34 Hakeem Olajuwon
    45 Rudy Tomjanovich

No Barkley's jersey shouldn't be reitred... what for?

6. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I like Robert Reid, Mad Max, Elie, just cuase of what they brought..there are a lot more but i guess none of them really deserves to get their number retired.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Robert Reid??? Come on dude, that guy was a good complimentary player but he didn't make that much impact either way. All he has that would justify retiring his jersey is longevity.

8. AMS

AMS Member

How about Moochie Norris..

o wait hes still in the nba

9. The Summit

The Summit Member

Well I dont know if they're thinking about retiring Barkleys jersey of not, but I do know that no one has wore #4 since he retired in 2000.

10. Glish21

Glish21 Member

No no i'm pretty sure he's done :D

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

One jersey that is not retired that, imo, should be is:
    Elvin Hayes, who wore both #11 and (I believe) #44. Hayes played (I think) 8 years here total, with 4 at the beginning and 4 at the end of his career. He's also a UH alum from the team that beat UCLA at the Dome in the first nationally televised college basketball game and ended UCLA's 48-game winning streak. Hayes number should be hanging from the rafters, imho.

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Sleepy Floyd.

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Member

Dude, Mike Newlin's has to be retired. He is buried in Rocket history and I think it is a crime. The numbers will never show it, but he was a cornerstone of the franchise when no one was watching. Eight years I think.

Hall Of Fame induction is a career award. To me, retiring a number is an award for contributions to the franchise, and I can't think of anyone who contributed more blood sweat and tears that the curiously smart and bookish Mike Newlin.

You could probably make a case for Allen Leavell in terms of franchise longevity, actually, but I do not think he was as good as Newlin. But in general, I wish those long-term non-all stars of Rocket past got more note in the team's history. Anyone else fall into this category that I am forgetting? Dick Vandervoort and CD from the admin side, but as far as players, i think Newlin and Leavell are underrepresented. Maybe not retiring their numbers, but at least some sort of acknowledgement in the Toyota Center.

Anyone here who was a fan of the Rockets during the 1970's? I would love to start a Mike Newlin conversation -- I was too young to really recall his objective strengths and weaknesses as a player. My fondest memory is that he was really cool to basketball-obsessed 5 year olds.

Hell, for all I know, Mike Newlin is somwhere on this board. Hey Shark, what's up?

I may have gone off on this before.

Tim M., if you happen across this thread -- I know it is not really a top priority in terms of front-burner marketing issues, but Rocket history has always been an interesting thing to me. The championship years and after are well documented, as are the Twin Towers years. But is there any thought given to acknowledgin the Moses-and-before years? a DVD? an exhibit?

Assuming that they Rockets averaged about 4,000-5,000 per game in the mid 1970s, you could reasonably assume that 1000 of those fans have moved, 500 have died, 750 were too toked up to remember much, and 1250 were going because tickets were about 40 cents apiece. That leaves literally <i>dozens</i> of fans like myself who remain interested in those years. From a purely cost/benefit perspective, I think it is a project well worth allocating major resources.

Sincerely,
    Alonzo Bradley

14. crash5179

crash5179 Member

With out a doubt Elvin Hayes should have his jersey hanging from the rafters.

He spent 8 years of a hall of fame career here and was the first true super star the Rockets ever had as well as the first of a dominating group of big men to play ball as a Rocket.

Tim,

If you read this it is a crime that Elvin Hayes number is not hanging along side of Moses, Hakeem, Clyde, Rudy T and Calvin.

15. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

Elvin Hayes, Kenny Smith, Ralph Sampson, Moses Malone, John Lucas.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Moses is already hanging from the rafters.

Kenny Smith - No Way No How

John Lucas - No Way...Never...He really hurt the Rockets twice with drug abuse problems

Ralph Sampson - debatable with ROY honers, all star game MVP and the shot that propelled us to a WC Championship. But did he last long enough with us?

Elvin Hayes - With out a doubt...IMO.

How about Otis Thorp?

17. Austin70

Austin70 Member

I see that alot of players that helped shape the Rockets history aren't retired yet Reid, Malone, Hayes and even the Jet. How many is too many? I know the Celtics have maybe 20 numbers left, they retired everyone that scored it seems like.

18. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

Hayes, defenately.

Thorpe, worth consideration.

Barkely, not enough time spent.

19. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, Barkley is more a 76er and Sun than a Rocket.

Elvin Hayes, on the other hand ...

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

Buck Johnson
    John Turner
    Derrick Chievious
    Dave Jamerson
    World B. Free