1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired MMA fighter, Renzo Gracie, live tweets as he beats down muggers in NYC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Prince

Prince Member

I miss the part that says...

Enroll now to Gracie MMA school.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Don't think lawyers will refuse to represent these guys. His tweets are pretty clear and create the image that he just wanted to beat some people up.

Also you blindly indicated they have big criminal resumès when that is nowhere stated, don't say he defended himself against criminals when the tweets say otherwise and right now there's no proof that they were ill-minded or criminals.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

In a case of assault it isn't just up to the victims to file charges. Also you are assuming that those people were actually criminals out to rob Renzo. The only thing we have is Renzo's side of the story. From the tweets there is nothing that objectively shows that these people were out to rob him and it sounds more like Renzo was setting up the situation. All we have is him after the fact saying they did try to rob him.

4. rage

rage Member

From reading the tweets, Renzo sounds like a douche.
    Big man doesn't beat up people just because he could.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Reads pretty much like a standard setup to get mugged/pick-pocketed if you have ever been to a big city + adrenalin from getting stalked.

Rezno is 5-10, 170 pounds and is 45 years old.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THESE POOR ABUSDED CRIMINALS???????

6. rage

rage Member

Really?
    The guy had time to tweet 20+ times.

Who said they were robbing him?

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lol you guys are turning this into the treyvon martin thing all over again

Need more facts.. how do we know they did anything wrong..theres noyhing wrong with following someone..maybe renzo was dealing weed

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

Renzo did fool, can't you read?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

After reading this thread I have a big smile upon my face.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I get the first guy, but the 2nd guy ran away and Gracie hunted him down and beat him. Even if he is a mugger this cannot be legal.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I think some of you misunderstood my point. I don't know whether the guys were going to jump him or not. My point was based on his tweets, which is his eye witness testimony to the events, they did not jump him, he attacked them. He is going to get sued.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not only that, under the law Gracie's training regards him under different standards of force.

13. gah

gah Member

The second guy running away tells me that they were indeed muggers, but I think the fighter can be prosecuted for hunting down that second guy.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Holy crap, so I misread part of it. So the 2nd guy ran away and Renzo got in his car to drive around looking for him. He couldn't find him and went back to the original scene and found him with the other guy, got out of his car and attacked him too! LOL

Dude should have charges pressed against him and will definitely get sued.

He can say whatever he wants to now, but he doesn't have a mark on him (other than the ones he inflicted by attacking them) and his own testimony on twitter is that he struck first and then attacked the second one unprovoked WHILE THEY WERE ASKING HIM WHY AND TO STOP!

Idiot. If they were muggers then I'm glad they got whipped, but Renzo was a freaking idiot for tweeting about it. They would have never known who he was and would never have tried to do anything about. Now they will simply say they asked for a cigarette and got attacked by a trained fighter.

15. Asian Sensation

This isn't Brazil. Renzo is going to find out the hard way.

16. rage

rage Member

You are the fool here if you just believe what Renzo says now.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Member

If they want to press charges, they better hope they don't have a criminal history, or the jury might not look too kindly on them.

18. rage

rage Member

Running away does not prove that.
    If someone beat you up, you run away.
    You don't hang around just to show you are innocent! :grin:

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That's very much a possibility as martial arts training is often considered as deadly force.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I don't think so. Here's an interview with him about it (though I didn't watch it): http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/7...-how-he-took-down-a-couple-of-nyc-muggers-and

The thing is whether those guys were trying to mug him or not is not going to be a big factor in the potential for criminal charges and especially for a lawsuit. They would say they were just asking for a cigarette and he went crazy on them. He won't be able to prove that it was a mugging attempt at all, so self-defense will be a challenging argument to make (especially since this is New York, not Texas or Florida). He should hope that they have a long rap sheet with multiple muggings, preferably recent, already in there.

And besides that, even if the jury is convinced that this was a mugging, they'll also know by his own admission that he could have easily avoided confrontation but purposely sought a confrontation so that he could assault them. And the force used was obviously well in excess of anything necessary to defuse the threat, especially when he hunted down the guy who ran away so he could attack him again.

Since their identities are currently unknown, this might even be a good opportunity for a couple of New Yorkers to give themselves black eyes so they can pretend to have been the muggers and cash in.

1 person likes this.