1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired cop guns down man for texting at Florida movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2014.

1. dragician

dragician Member

justice served.

1 person likes this.
  2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Some of us are taller than like 5'5", so when you whip out your phone with it's bright ass light, it is actually in our field of vision while we're trying to watch the movie. It's distracting.

But don't count me as somebody who thinks this guy was a jackass and caused this situation. At the end of the day, the old man brought a gun to a theater and decided to kill somebody over nonsense. Plus, I have a feeling the "throwing the popcorn incident" was more like the popcorn was knocked over during their confrontation.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

...with popcorn.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Conveniently, you don't acknowledge the fact that you've been rude probably at least once in your life and luckily some idiot didn't have a gun to shoot you with. Because that you would show all your don't be a dick comments to be the full of **** comments they are.

If you're a dick and you get beat up, you deserve it.
    If you're a dick and you get arrested, you deserve it.
    If you're a dick and you get banned/de-privileged, you deserve it.
    If you're a dick and you get killed, you DON'T deserve it.

[/end thread]

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Oh, well, Samurai used to rule Japan. There must be an unwritten jerk law we should all accept.

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Curtis Reeves, 71, has been charged with second-degree murder and it's not immediately clear whether he has retained an attorney.

Pasco County Sheriff's officials said the shooting happened when Reeves asked 43-year-old Chad Oulson to stop texting at the theater in Wesley Chapel, a suburb about a half hour north of downtown Tampa.

Reeves and his wife were sitting behind Oulson and his wife. Oulson told Reeves that he was texting with his 3-year-old daughter, Cummings said.

"It ended almost as quickly as it started," said sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin. The sheriff's office says an off-duty Sumter County deputy detained Reeves until police arrived.

Cummings and his son Alex — who both had blood on their clothes as they walked out of the theater — told a group of reporters Monday afternoon that the show was still in previews when the two couples started arguing.

Cummings said the man in the back row — later identified as Reeves — got up and left the auditorium, presumably to get a manager. But he came back after a few minutes, without a manager and appearing upset. Moments later, the argument between the two men resumed, and the man in the front row stood up.

Officials said Oulson asked Reeves if he reported him to management for using his phone.

Cummings said the men started raising their voices and popcorn was thrown. Authorities said Reeves took out a gun, and Oulson's wife put her hand over her husband, and that's when Reeves fired his weapon, striking Nichole Oulson in the hand and her husband in the chest.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," Cummings said. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

Cummings, who said he was a combat Marine in Vietnam, said Oulson fell onto him and his son.

"Blood started coming out of his mouth," said Alex Cummings. "It was just a very bad scene."

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Leave it to the officer at the scene and the primary witness to bring sanity to this whole thing:

In another part of the press conference reported by WFLA-TV Sheriff Nocco said: "Anybody, over a cell phone, over somebody texting, to take their life...it's ridiculous."

Cummings told WFLA-TV: "I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun to a movie. I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn, or even a cell phone."

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

That's kinda weird.

I read two overly emotional adults over stupid stuff. The differences are one with pop corn and the other with a gun.

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

Really hard to say who's side to take. The man who got shot sounded like an immature jerk. If you're immature enough to start throwing popcorn at an old man, who knows what he would have done next. Who's to say he wouldn't have tried to beat the old man up after throwing popcorn? The article says that he CONFRONTED the old man after having reported him and started verbally assaulting him. I'm kind of on the old man's side to be honest.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

If I was sitting near them both in that theater I would think the a******** shooting someone to death in a crowded movie theater is far more annoying than the guy texting.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

So the dad has a 22 month old daughter, and instead of taking care of her, he and his wife opt to spend money on movies and babysitters?

I'm not a parent, but I imagine being one is a tough job - but why not stay at home and rent a movie?

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

What makes it sad is that no one stepped in to break them up. Can't let anyone try to bully an old man like that.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oops, bunch of multiquotes that I forgot to delete. To the posts above the picture post: Yeah, the light is disturbing - especially if the user doesn't keep their phone stationary while texting / keeps checking it every 3 minutes for new texts.

14. ths balla

ths balla Member

im gonna venture to guess everyone on this board has been rude to someone once in their life, glad we werent shot for a rare incident, though it would be hard to sympathize with bc we would of deserved it?? smh

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

These violent movies have bad effect on old people.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Old man taking a gun to a movie theater? That's John Wayne. That's Samurai in his head.

17. The Real Shady

I can't believe a guy with a family would put himself in such a horrible position. So many crazy people out there why risk it by being a jerk.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not that you're talking to me, (yes, I've been a jerk before), but again, you're raging at a strawman. I haven't read one single post (at least from Crash) that says the dude deserved it. Who is saying the guy deserved it? There is a gulf between "he deserved it" and "I'm not as sympathetic as I would normally be."

We all agree that the poor slob didn't deserve to be killed! World's most stupid thread, by a landslide.

Respect your elders AND don't shoot people. It would seem like some fairly common sense common ground there, uniting us. But it's more fun to get internet angry?

Basically: no wonder Americans shoot one another in theaters, just reading this thread. LOL.

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

I ain't saying he should have killed him...

[​IMG]

...but I understand.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL. SYH at yourself, because he didn't say "deserved it" -- he said the opposite. Surreal.

I'm out.