1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retire 23 league wide?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by FLASH21, Sep 11, 2009.

?

Would you have MJ's # retired league wide?

1. yes

22.7%
  2. no

77.3%
  1. fumduck

fumduck Member

Now if retiring the number 23 would piss off all Jazz fans, then hell Yeah!

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No, and I wish the NHL hadn't done it with 99. What if somebody better comes along in either sport?

I can see why with 42 in baseball, but I think I'd prefer not to retire numbers league wide.

1 person likes this.
  3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind simply because I hate seeing young guys wanting to be MJ so they pick #23, that's why I was glad Derrick Rose was drafted by the Bulls cause he had to switch to #1 haha.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I am surprised by the amount of opposition to this idea so I am going to play Jordan's advocate. My reasons are simple.

MJ put basketball on the map, before Kobe or Lebron could leap from HS to the Big League, Jordan paved the way for the One Man era. He brought the game to the global stage, awareness of his brand and image is iconic everywhere you travel. He created the persona of Jordan and delivered on the highest stages of the game. Without Jordan the game would not be remotely close to the success it has become. All these superstars enjoying the lifestyle thanks to Jordan, making millions, selling sneakers, appearing on TV ads selling from batteries to underwear. That is the all the work of Jordan and note I am only putting the offcourt stuff here to show Jordan was a social phenomenon. Every kid bought Js and got a #23 jersey while sticking their tongue out driving to the basket as a sign of coolness. Today all of this has become the culture of the NBA and people tend to forget how much Jordan influenced everyone on and off the court. Now his game is just legendary, too many clutch performances, game winners, big plays, imposing his will on opponents that I will refrain from turning this into a boigraphy of his accomplishments. In all his the GOAT and no one is even close to him.

Give the man the respect he deserves retire #23 all around the league.

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I disagree completely. MJ did NOT put basketball on the map. Mikan first put it on the map by being the first superstar and the first to demonstrate that being big is better in basketball, letting the game progress. Cousy (and Maravich later) brought a new more flashy style to the guard position which was also crucial to the game's development. Wilt and Russell arguably put basketball on the map by being two larger than life superstars whose constant confrontations were the darling of media and the basketball audience. Then, in the 1970's, the ABA brought the athletic swingman play from which Jordan himself claims lineage; he wrote in his autobiography that “I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era. Without Julius Erving, David Thompson, Walter Davis, and Elgin Baylor, there would never have been a Michael Jordan. I evolved from them.” In the 1980's, Bird and Magic brought the league into its Golden Age, where arguably even today's NBA strives to get back to.

Jordan was a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but he was no Jackie Robinson in terms of impact. He stood on the shoulders of previous basketball players, and he said so himself.

1 person likes this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

:eek: :confused: :eek:
    ghettocheeze, do you work for Nike?

7. Garner

Garner Member

He is a basketball legend.

Not a god.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree with the general consensus here that league-wide retirement of a player's jersey just because he is currently considered the best to ever play is a bad idea.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You almost got it right...

1 person likes this.
  10. Raven

Raven Member

Let's be clear. Michael Jordan didn't make the NBA. Michael Jordan made Nike.

1 person likes this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Well put, Ghettocheeze/rimrocker. :D

12. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

1 person likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

don't we already have #23 retired for calvin? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Correct. This would be like a slap in the face to other #23's who have or deserve to have their jersey number retired (by their own team).

1 person likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wish there was a 'hell no' option. Really stupid idea, to say Jordan was something more than the greats before him. Only in terms of marketing, and that disgusting tongue habit. Ew ew ew ew EW!

1 person likes this.
  16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yea why they hell did they do that? :confused:

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Not a good idea at all.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes. Should retire.

19. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

wow i think dr j has the biggest hands ever

20. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

For a 100th time, NO!!

No one is denying MJ's talent but whether you see him as the BEST player or MOST TALENTED guy to ever play basketball, it's a pretty subjective and opinionated topic that not everyone would agree with.

On top of that, you're going get a lot of issues with other players who also think they're in the same tier as MJ, and perhaps rightly so.