1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resting Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chemistry, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I do think this is one of the reason why Harden wouldn't want to rest.

The second reason would be Allstar.

2. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

Well..

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314HOU2.HTM

Seems like our best lineup would be with Lin and Harden, and Bev sitting.

3. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

Harden needs to be fresh during clutch time, he's been looking a little worn out on some 4th quarters late. Maybe cut him down to 34-35 and let his feet heal up.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You seem to think that playing time is a dictatorial decision. In well run teams like the Rockets playing time decisions will be made by the coaches with the input of the training staff, team doctors if the player is injured, the player, and of course Morey.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

6. pippsux

pippsux Member

All that summer league ball was too much IMO.

7. SugarLandDream8

You can't play these kinds of games in the NBA. You either don't play the game because of injuries or you start and play 30+ minutes for a superstar like Harden unless there is a blow out and you rest players for the 4th quarter.

Stern and the NBA will fine the Rockets and McHale if he tried to play these games like he fined Coach Pop last season.

Also the NBA's business model is based on superstars playing and entertaining fans. If you rest star players until the 2nd half and only if the game is close then a lot of fans who pay good money for tickets will be upset and want a refund. It'll ruin the NBA business model.

Stern had to apologize last year to fans for what Coach Pop did resting his stars even though the game was competitive and fun to watch.

8. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Yeah I understand that. There have been outcries in the football world in Europe also about similar things, but almost never about top teams resting players.

Rather low ranked teams have come under huge criticism for resting players in games that they feel are unwinnable coming near the end of the season, opting to preserve their player's legs for more winnable fixtures as they fight to avoid relegation.

I don't see why you can't have him as day to day and on the bench. I.E. We say he's hurt (which he has been) and then play him only if need be.

I don't think there is a conflict of interest for Mchale though, because if Harden gets injured and the Rockets lose a bunch of games he might get fired anyway.

As for Stern, he isn't going to care if the Rockets' win a championship or not. I guess customer is king though, you're right about that.

9. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Stern is a tool. If Pop is the coach, he has the decision, not Stern. That being said, Harden has foot injury and McHale has all the excuse to limit his minutes.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

11. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Great. Then this means Harden is playing healthy.

12. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

He's clearly been injured early in the season. I'm sure like he feels the spotlight is on him in a big way and he has to give it his all on both ends of the court, especially after the criticism about his defensive lapses recently.

Obviously this is what you want, your best player leading by example on the court. But if he's just going to exacerbate an injury then it's just very short term thinking.

I do agree that the spurs have a great model, look at the minutes of their team, no one is above 32. We have the players to win, the coaches need to find a way to do so without our stars getting burnt out.

It's not just about making injuries worse. Wear and tear from excessive workload also makes you susceptible to further injury.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well after last nights blowout win we now have a baseline for the starters minutes. Around 30. Even facing a back to back. All of them could have played 10 minutes less last night but did not. I also have to conclude that Harden is pretty much good to go physically.