1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Restaurants are awful now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, May 23, 2022.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Which chain has a location closer to your home?

1. Popeye's

2. Chick-fil-A

2. Buck Turgidson

chick-fil-a is right next door to panda express, lazy man fast-food-style: drive up, see which one has the shorter line, get in that line.

Nook likes this.
  3. MexAmercnMoose

from where? next time yall in the 2nd Ward, hit up Montecristos for their pupusas...theyre like $2.50 each, and bring cash

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cheap and good should be the only choices IMO.

pmac, Nook and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tried calliopes the other day for the first time , was aight . Had the fried rice and some hush puppies .

JJ garden lunch special still pretty good . But you gotta dine in or they short you on the portion

good taco truck on post oak and willow has good pastor tacos and pasta , not exactly cheap tho .

JJ seafood I’ve tried a few times and liked the shrimp and hush puppies .

biggest disappointment from whataburger is that their toast just is no where near it used to be .

Haven’t had Popeyes in years

MC D’s still doing aight .

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Meh. They have "baked" potatoes with meat and it's nearby. If I want actual bbq, I'd elsewhere, like Hutchins. I've actually gotten nothing but a baked potato with brisket at Rudy's for the past 10+ years or so. I've since replaced it with another bbq place not too far by, but then they're not open on Sundays or Mondays. It's always something. Rudy's was never great, but the service was pretty good. Now the service sucks, too. I'm about to rollin' my own taters and meat.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Their creamed corn is ok, I guess, but I never really get anything else since I really only go there for baked potatoes with brisket. Well, I may get a cole slaw if I'm feeling insane.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Yes, but it appears that he has a taste for Poeye's while he probably lives in a Chick-fil-A neighborhood.

Perhaps will find Panda Express and Chick-fil-A locations close to each other along with Timmy Chan's and Popeye's locations close to each other.

Eldridge between Westheimer and I-10 is a nice (expensive) area. There is a Chick-fil-A on 13412 Briar Forest Dr, which is in the big shopping center on the NW corner of Eldridge @ Briar Forest. When I go past that area, the Chick-fil-A is busy. I looked at an online map and there is a Popeye's near Stratford High School and another location on Westheimer near West Oaks Mall. I don't have either of those locations as direct competitors to the Chick-fil-A on Briar Forest @ Eldridge.

I don't know if developers froze out Popeye's from the nice area along Eldridge or if Popeye's never tried because it is different than the areas that they usually locate their restaurants in.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I like the creamed corn and banana pudding at Rudy’s…everything else is extremely average.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Styles Switch BBQ on North Lamar here in Austin has killer banana pudding. Damn good ribs, and their potato salad is excellent.

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Still pissed over losing Thai Gourmet

Ziggy, SuraGotMadHops and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What happened? Place was insanely popular

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They were stiffing their workers.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's insane considering how profitable that place had to be

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

And their quality had fallen off a cliff in the last six months to a year.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tried Loro (Franklins x Uchi) this weekend. It was coo. Chill spot. Love that. Prices seemed fine to me.