1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resolutions thread.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't seen a resolutions thread for this year.

I don't know if I'd call mine a resolution or not, but I've decided I'm going to get back in shape. I'm 6'3" and currently weigh 245, but I'm very sturdily built, so I don't look huge. I do, though, have quite a bit of excess on me.

My wife has lost about fifty pounds since we met in high school, and I've gained about that much. Back then, I didn't know it, but I was fairly thin. I was in good shape. My target is to get back down to that area. My wife, in her weight loss, looks absolutely wonderful, and she's got the abs and all, which is another goal of mine. Currently, I'm in pseudo-shape. I want to be in really good shape.

About three years ago was the closest I came to this goal. I was doing insanity every day, and got down to about 220. I was in the best cardio shape of my life. Then, I went back to school while working full time...

I'm utilizing technology to its fullest this time. I bought an Up3 as a way to track my daily movement and sleep. I have a run and food tracker app as well. I want to be fairly religious about this stuff, as I believe seeing it on paper will aid in attaining my goals.

Today, to show I was serious, I walked 3.5 miles in the 18 degree, icy, snowy weather. It was one of the most peaceful things I've done in a while.

The only thing I fear may stop me is my quest to become the Aaron Franklin of the Great Lakes region. I got a small smoker for Christmas and I'm itching to get started this spring.

What are your goals this year?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Get my scuba diving license

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pics of wife so that we can judge?

Also walking = waste of time for the most part. Rather run a mile fast than walk 3.5 miles

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I started my resolutions 2 weeks ago

Aim - Action taken

1) Get in shape - I'm keeping my workout stuff with me at work to easily get to the gym
    2) Eat fruits - I bring a week's worth of fruit to work and eat it periodically during the days
    3) Read - I turn the wifi off at home after 11pm and try to read a paper book. I'm currently reading essays from 'Arguably' by Christopher Hitchens and gave myself time after reading to sit in the dark and silence to actually reflect on what I read. I'm starting to wake up early and feel very content to start the day, as opposed to the previous grogginess
    4) Keep a diary - Keep note of what happens each day, and carry it wherever I go. I also set up a grid in my diary to check mark if I accomplish aims 1 to 3 above for that day

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know this is original...but I need to get back in shape. Definitely put on some weight in 2015. My company is having a Biggest Loser contest starting next week. I plan on winning it. I read about the Slow Carb diet and I'm going to try that.

Also, I need to call my parents more often. At least once a month. They're not getting any younger and I certainly don't want to have any regrets later on. Right now, it seems like the only thing I talk to them about are my kids. I need to do a better job of just calling to say hello more often. Ask them how they're doing instead of only talking about their grandkids.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

But which is better for you and your cardio?

Weight is my constant resolution
    Write more and complete more of what I write

Rocket River

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

#2- How do I make Kale Chips?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Super easy. Just Google for recipes

9. FTW Rockets FTW

I'd suggest any form of HIIT if you want to lose weight. This will keep your metabolism high long after you finish your workout and takes less time.

Basically go all out for 30seconds to a minute on the bike or treadmill or even on the streets and then slow down for another 30 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

I guess a decent long jog would help you lose weight too but again it's more time consuming and less efficient. Normal Walking does nothing much except maybe satisfy you mentally.

10. Two Sandwiches

This is why insanity was so good for me.

I will start it again soon. Best cardio I ever did.

The only reason I walked today was because it was very icy out and I didn't want to fall.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

I don't know about insanity but for me a good lifting session followed by 10-15 minutes of HIIT keeps me pretty lean and mean.

Does insanity incorporate some sort of weight training?

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Also on the super original get in shape resolution.

I don't care a ton about large amounts of exercise... going to do some, but the biggest focus will be diet.

Not following any special diet other than doing the obvious things:
    - Eating fewer calories daily (biggest one, just don't need to eat as much!)
    - Eating less crappy food (bye bye tacos, pizza, etc.)
    - Eating more healthy food (hello salads and vegetables)

I am using tech a bit more than I otherwise would, principally in the form of a smart scale and blood pressure monitor. I just got down to 200 lbs from about 206 lbs over the last two weeks (I'm 6'1) and my blood pressure seems to be in the steady 115/78 range. I know 78 (and sometimes this is 75 and sometimes 82) is borderline hypertension, so that's a big focus of mine too. I'm 36 btw.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1. Be more patient.
    2. Stop cursing. This means the act of cursing at something or someone even with PG-rated words, not necessarily stopping the use of cuss words, although it should cut down on that significantly.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Drink less.
    Eat better.
    Curse less.
    Put myself on a reasonable budget and stick to it.

Already stopped drinking (for now). Had a salad today so that's something. Still curse too often - I don't even know I'm doing it until it's too late. And the budget thing is a big deal. I always try it, and I always blow it. I spend way too much. I'm hoping the less money spent on alcohol/food will contribute to this one.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

Be more productive at work.

I have a lot of downtime that I could use in other effective ways but just blow it all randomly browsing the internet (blame CF) or on the phone.

I shall start this tomorrow.

16. Two Sandwiches

Insanity is straight HIIT.

Something I had never really concentrated on. It did well for me. I've lifted in the past, but never had a strict cardio regimen. I was easily in the best cardio shape of my life doing it.

17. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I like this one, I think I will steal it.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome! It's already helping me out. If I want to drop some angry words, I just say something encouraging instead. My wife and son check me when I let something slip.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

want an easy way to lower your cholesterol, dramatically reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and melt belly fat quickly without limiting how much you eat? plus have so much energy you have no use for caffeine anymore, AND sleep like a baby?

quit sugar (fructose). it's literally poison and it's keeping us all sick and medicated.

my resolutions include continuing to stay the **** away (i'll pick up your slack, jeremiah) from sugar/grains and to drop my body fat 5%.

20. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Workout everyday with a combo of Weight lifting,Cardio, Yoga, Meditation.