1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Request for ClutchFans Community Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The Rockets want their season ticket holders to work at the food bank this Tuesday. I haven't replied back yet.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I am cool with that, but it's not about what the Rockets want. I want to know what we the people here at ClutchFans want to do.

I've already heard great responses from several posters here, and just want to contribute any way I can.

3. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Kudos OP. A very good idea.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I wouldn't mind helping, sure.

5. Roc Paint

So far we have several people willing and able to help, which I appreciate very much! Off the top of my head, the first thing I suggest we initiate is the Houston Food Bank option which BigBird recommended. (Kudos Big Bird)! The list of potential volunteers who have responded positively are:

- BigBird
    - K-Low_4_Prez
    - Bandwagoner
    - shastarocket
    - Mr. Clutch
    - redwhiteone
    - Dgn1
    - RocRouge
    - Roc Paint

We are considering next Saturday, 26-July from 13:00-16:00 (1PM-4PM) as our first initiative. The Houston Food Bank is located at 535 Portwall St., Houston, TX 77029. The recommended dress attire is close-toed shoes, long pants (preferred), and a t-shirt (sport your Rockets Red if you have it!). We realize it may be a stretch for some of you - my wife and I are coming from the Memorial area ourselves.

Please let us know your availability for this date/time, and anyone else willing to join is certainly welcome. Bring other members, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, children (ages 6 and up are permitted...I'm sure there will be plenty of adult supervision). BTW, I know we are just starting up, but it's worth knowing that the Houston Food Bank currently has 856 available spots for next Saturday. Let's try to fill what we can. I'd like to have an estimated head count to register our group with by Friday, so please let me know your availability at your earliest convenience.

Note: We are signed up under the group name "Clutch Community". If Clutch himself represents, we can change the name to "ClutchFans Community" (which I am hoping for).

Thank you all for volunteering!! We look forward to hearing back from all of you!

#25 Roc Paint, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. Roc Paint

Just a heads up, everyone who volunteers will be sent a link (by me) to register themselves under the Clutch Community group for the upcoming Houston Food Bank charity event. Please ensure your email address on your ClutchFans profile is accurate so I can send the link to the proper address. Thanks for your help!

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i'[m not able to do the afternoon shift this saturday, but i'd love to get involved if you start volunteering at HFB regularly on saturdays (morning or afternoon shift). i'm registered at keegan kitchen...a more centralized location (in case that works better for some people in the future). you also do more along the lines of preparing meals rather than sorting canned goods.

i'll check this thread regularly, but feel free to message me as well.

great idea!!!!!

edit: misread, you're actually talking about the 26th...i'll be available that day.

#27 finalsbound, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this is an interesting idea

9. Roc Paint

Thanks finlasbound,

My wife and I have registered at the HFB on the 26th of July, the Satuday after next. So it would be great if you could join us then. We also thought about going to keegen kitchen as well. Whatever works for everyone. I say we all try our best to show up at the HFB on the 26th, and go from there.

I will need a list of members who are available so I can send them a regestration form via e-mail.

Thanks to everyone for your support...

Go Rockets!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Here is the link for everyone who would like to sign up. :)

Dear Kevin

We look forward to having Clutch Community volunteer with Houston Food Bank at our Warehouse location on 07/26/2014 from 01:00 PM - 04:00 PM. You reserved 9 spaces for your group of which 2 are for youth and 7 are for adults. We have included the address of our Warehouse location below for your convenience.

535 Portwall St.
    Houston, TX. 77029

Your volunteer shift directly feeds hungry neighbors! Volunteers help with a variety of projects including sorting, evaluating, cleaning and packaging donated food and non-food items before distribution to our network partners and hungry neighbors. Below are some tips and reminders to ensure your team has an enjoyable volunteer experience.

Important tips and reminders for your upcoming volunteer shift:

Please plan to arrive at least fifteen minutes before your scheduled volunteer shift so you can check in, receive instructions and start on time. Check-in begins 30 minutes before your shift time. We will begin all projects promptly at our scheduled shift time. If you arrive after the first shift has started, you may have to wait up to 30 minutes for another assignment. If members of your group arrive late, we cannot guarantee they will be able to join you in your assigned area.

If you are going to be late or need to leave early, please re-schedule. Please make every effort not to cancel as we plan our production based on your participation. If you need to cancel, please contact us as soon as possible.

Weather Cancellations: Access our Emergency/Weather Advisory Extension by calling 713-547-8604.

For your safety, please do not bring personal belongings into project areas. Due to limited locker space, we ask that you lock your purse, jackets, backpacks and any other valuables in your vehicle before checking-in.

For safety purposes all volunteers at the PORTWALL WAREHOUSE must be at least 6 years of age. Volunteers at the KEEGAN KITCHEN must be 19 years old Monday through Thursday. We will do our best to keep your entire group together, but depending on the ages of your group members, we may have to split your group into different projects. A ratio of 1 adult for every 10 minors is required. If you find you cannot meet this requirement we will reschedule your volunteer shift. Please note adult volunteers will be expected to supervise the youth volunteers. All volunteers under the age of 18 also need to complete a Youth Volunteer Consent Form and bring it with to their volunteer shift signed by their parent or guardian.

Every adult in your group must register in our system before volunteering. The number of minors attending needs to be scheduled, but they do not need to register. Please share the following link with your adult volunteers in order to register with your group: http://houstonfoodbank.civicore.com...tional&opportunities_shifts_id=5793&fwID=8588

Last Call! Group size needs to be confirmed at least one week prior, so please make sure all of your participants have registered. We are grateful for your help, but need volunteer counts to remain consistent after confirmed. These counts directly help us plan for projects that impact food distributed to hungry neighbors. If the anticipated size of the group changes from the number confirmed, please contact us as soon as possible.

How to Dress? No open-toed shoes are allowed in the warehouse or kitchen. Smashed toes are no fun, so we strongly enforce this safety precaution. Dress casual and in layers to ensure you're comfortable.

Special needs? Just let us know! If you require any special accommodations just let us know before your volunteer shift so we can plan accordingly.

Media Reminders:

If you are planning to take any video footage, wish to have a Food Bank spokesperson available for interviews or want to share your volunteer experience with the media please obtain the approval of the Director of Communications, Adele Brady, at 713-547-8674 at least 2 weeks prior to your volunteer session.

If you have questions, please contact Houston Food Bank's volunteer team at 713-547-8604 or volunteernow@houstonfoodbank.org. Thank you for helping feed hungry neighbors across 13 counties!

Your Friends at Houston Food Bank

(contacts ID)

Kevin

Warehouse

07/26/2014 from 01:00 PM - 04:00 PM.

Important: Please bring this page with you for check-in. This QR code can only be used for this volunteer shift.

11. Roc Paint

I will reserve more spaces if needed. :cool:

12. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

First of all, I applaud your idea of helping others. With all the discussions on basketball and other sports as well as issues, helping others makes you realize the more important matters in life.

If I am from H-Town, I will gladly help you and our brethren immediately and wholeheartedly but alas, I'm your brethren from the Philippines and who is unable to join you physically in your selfless endeavor.

I hope this activity will push through. Don't worry, I too am doing my duty for the people.

More support from your brother all the way from Asia.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Will this get parsons back?

14. Roc Paint

Thank you for your encouraging words from abroad brother.

15. Roc Paint

I wish, but I sure wouldn't mind if he showed up to help us out.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

yup, sounds good. see y'all on the 26th.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm in for the 26th!

1 person likes this.
  18. Roc Paint

Excellent Clutch brothers/sisters! Let's keep them coming. :grin:

19. RocRouge

RocRouge Contributing Member

I just signed up for the event on 26-July...and am looking forward to many more charity events in the coming months! What a great opportunity and a selfless act of kindness for this city. Way to go, Roc Paint! ;) I'm so proud of my husband for starting this up. We look forward to meeting everyone there. The more the merrier...please sign up CF members! It will be fun.

Signed,
    Roc Paint's wife...
    "RocRouge" :grin:

1 person likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Usually I just throw my drink cans, food wrappers and other trash out my stacked and jacked F-350 because I don't want my car interior getting dirty. However after reading this thread I gave the valet $20 to take it when I had lunch downtown today.